Landing on the Heels (Read 1034 times)

Jake440

I am a high school mid-distance (800, mile) runner. All of my teammates, coaches and parents tell me that I land too heavily on my heels and am wasting energy. Does anyone know any drills or anything to do that can help me to correct this?
    Hannibal Granite

If your coach is telling you this you should ask him/her what you can do to fix it - that is what coaches are for. If your coach doesn't help you fix it (or doesn't know how) come back and ask us. Real people who see you run every day and who have a vested interest on your success can usually help you more than random internet people.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

I agree, your coach would be the best person to ask. If he won't help (which would be pretty messed up), maybe try running some barefoot strides in the grass.

Hawt and sexy

Wear racing flats. That should fix it quick.

I'm touching your pants.

Jake440

The coach that noticed it I do not have any more, he had to take an extended absence.
            Hannibal Granite

The coach that noticed it I do not have any more, he had to take an extended absence.
              Are you still on a team? Is there a coach now? Did the coach who left get replaced by someone else? If it was so noticable that your teammates and parents were noticing it as well then surely the new coach should see it right away. I'm only reason I'm giving you a hard time is b/c sometimes kids on teams will get advice from the coach and then go on the internet and see if what the coach said is correct either for verification of what the coach said or to find a contrasting opinion (which is easy to find regardless of how good the advice is) to throw back at the coach. BTW as a coach myself I have no problem with one of my athletes checking to see if some piece of advice I gave them was correct, but if there is disagreement it better be from a source better than some anonymous internet poster. You can and will get good advice here, but like any message board some advice will be good and some will be bad. In your case it seems you haven't even gone to your coach.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Jake440

Are you still on a team? Is there a coach now? Did the coach who left get replaced by someone else? If it was so noticable that your teammates and parents were noticing it as well then surely the new coach should see it right away. I'm only reason I'm giving you a hard time is b/c sometimes kids on teams will get advice from the coach and then go on the internet and see if what the coach said is correct either for verification of what the coach said or to find a contrasting opinion (which is easy to find regardless of how good the advice is) to throw back at the coach. BTW as a coach myself I have no problem with one of my athletes checking to see if some piece of advice I gave them was correct, but if there is disagreement it better be from a source better than some anonymous internet poster. You can and will get good advice here, but like any message board some advice will be good and some will be bad. In your case it seems you haven't even gone to your coach.
                No you are correct I have not gone to my new coach yet, and yes I should and most likely will. But I don't see the problem with asking for help on the Internet. While information here can be unreliable you can sometimes find people who really know what they are talking about. And if I had gotten quality advice from a coach I probably wouldn't be here, and it would be stupid to think that I am looking for something to argue about with my coach. I'm not that type of person/athelete, and I don't think many others are either. When someone is asking a simple question to assume they are trying to pick a fight with a coach is messed up.
                obsessor

Wear racing flats. That should fix it quick.
                  yeah, might, ...and try running barefoot on the golf course. Sprint drills. What are your times? Simply - faster running may help. Hill drills. Hill bounding. Skip for height and distance.

Hawt and sexy

Ooooo, skip drills. I remember those. They were fun.

I'm touching your pants.

Jake440

Thanks. After one meet my 800 is 2:24, so far that's all i've ran. What are hill drills and bounding, simply sprint drills up a hill and striders up a hill?
                        Thanks. After one meet my 800 is 2:24, so far that's all i've ran. What are hill drills and bounding, simply sprint drills up a hill and striders up a hill?
                        Here's a video and slides. Highly recommended. Introduce the hill drills gradually into your routine, esp. if you don't have a good strength base. A little can go a long way. A lot can result in injury if not prepared for them. http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/hilltrainingdvd.aspx http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/drilltraining.aspx You might also check your form to be sure you aren't overstriding. Heavy heel striking can be a symptom of that.
                        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Feeling the growl again

Practice quick turnover. You may be landing hard on your heels if you are trying to run hard by forcing unnaturally long strides. You'll go faster, and stop landing on your heels, if you concentrate on turnover and let stride length take care of itself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've had issues with my running form before and have had 4 different coaches work with me to change it and although i tried i was unable to do so. I have the opposite problem i'm a toe runner and they said the same things...that i'm wasting too much energy and its bad for my legs and so forth. I've managed to stay pretty injury free and have been running since the 6th grade. Sometimes your running mechanics are biological...i run the same way my dad did because of the way my knees are. Didn't stop me from getting a running scholarship LOL Smile. So if you try to change it and you can't but your still running fast and are comfortable dont worry about. Everyone runs a little differently!! Whenever i'd finish a race and someone would tell me i ran funny i'd just remind them that if they were in front of me they wouldn't have seen it! Big grin Good luck!

If you are worried about landing on your heels, then concentrate on landing with your feet beneath your body instead of in front of you. If you still land on your heels, you probably don't need to worry about it. Past that very general advice, I'd need to see you in person or at least see video of your running to give any kind of advice.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Jake440

I talked to my coach today and he told me to "run under the center more." Is this what you are refering to?