Waistband chafing after recent weight loss (maybe gross) (Read 268 times)

clydesdale901

Hi all,

I used to lurk here a lot in the late 2000s.  I got injured very bad and eventually made the decision to quit running.  Unfortunately I didnt handle it well and gained a lot of weight.

This year I decided I wanted to 'pull a Doppel Bock' and make a comeback.  I went to a different dr and got PRP and some good physical therapy on my achilles (previous dr's outlook was surgical only).  I went from (I'm 6'2") 315 to now 235, and 45 mpw consistently.  My goal is 180 and 70 mpw and BQ again.

All things considered, I am in a very optimistic position right now.

The problem I am running into now is that I feel like an aerobic machine, but the chafing is really, really bad, especially around my waistband.  I am attributing this to looser skin due to weight loss.  Of course the Memphis humidity doesnt help, but it was never this bad before I lost a significant amount of weight.  I am on the verge of bleeding after every run.

I've tried: several different brands of shorts with different fabrics, bodyglide (made it worse, actually), tucking my shirt in, loosening my waistband, tightening my waistband, and anything else I could think of.

Any ideas or is this just something im going to have to deal with?

Thanks, and sorru for the weird thread.

First, congrats on the weight loss and comeback. For lack of a better term, that's awesome!!

For your chaffing issue, have you tried mole skin?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've heard that using powder pre-run instead of Body Glide can work, but I've never tried it.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Have you tried short length tights?  (Like bicycle shorts but without the padding.)  They are snug all over rather than just at the waistband so that may help distribute the friction, or something?  You can always wear something over them for modesty.

clydesdale901

Thanks!  I'm not sure how I would use moleskin ... the problem is around my entire waist area really.

I've tried Gold Bond but not any of the specific running powders -- I may give that a shot.

I just ordered some half tights, I didn't really think about that.  It sounds promising, hopefully they will work for me.

#artbydmcbride

Those cycle douches wear bib shorts ... a sort of onesie with shoulder straps ...those might be more comfy too....but I don't know how the heck they work when you need to use the bathroom.

Runners run

Half Crazy K 2.0

Would both a compression shirt & shorts help? Just thinking this would give you a layer of tight clothing that might reduce friction.

I had this issue last year, once I got rid of the main offending shorts, the problem resolved. I would sometimes roll the waistband of the shorts down mid run due to the rubbing.

Feeling the growl again

I've got no help for you, other than to sympathize that as I've put on 15 lbs to become a fatty runner chafing has become my nemesis.  Bodyglide seems to get it done for me.

So my post is useless to you, other than I want to recognize the huge achievement you have made in losing a ton of weight and getting in shape.  I can aspire to your dedication.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

John Wood

I had a similar issue with a pair of shorts that had a waist band that just didn't fit right and caused rubbing in spots around my waist.  Loved the pockets the shorts had, but hated the waist rub.  Solved the issue by finding a pair of compression shorts that went a couple of inches higher on my waist than the problem shorts did.  It seemed odd at first to have my compression shorts sticking out above the waist line of the outer shorts, but it solved my issue.

I have a couple pair of shorts where the waistband will chaff on hot days.  I just end up tucking my shirt in which fixes the issue.  That's no help if you are a shirtless runner.

+1 for compression shirt + compression shorts. The key to prevent blistering/chafing like what you have is to prevent the fabric from constantly sliding around against your skin. It might be that you only need the compression shirt, if you tuck it in. It should stop nipple chafe too -- though moleskin pasties are still the best practice for that problem. For skin-on-skin chafing, try Sports Shield.

clydesdale901

Just wanted to say thanks guys, I had never tried half tights before but after these arrived yesterday, I took them on a 90 minute run this morning and they were on fleek.  I had never thought of wearing half tights before, but this seems like an easy solution.

I could give a damn about modesty.  My only concern is that someone will mistake me for a triathlete or think that I'd be amiable to a conversation about which carbon fiber water bottle holder is the best.

an amazing likeness

My only concern is that someone will mistake me for a triathlete or think that I'd be amiable to a conversation about which carbon fiber water bottle holder is the best.

Now, that is seriously funny. I laughed.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Just wanted to say thanks guys, I had never tried half tights before but after these arrived yesterday, I took them on a 90 minute run this morning and they were on fleek.  I had never thought of wearing half tights before, but this seems like an easy solution.

I could give a damn about modesty.  My only concern is that someone will mistake me for a triathlete or think that I'd be amiable to a conversation about which carbon fiber water bottle holder is the best.

Glad to hear it.

+1 for the body glide, put it on my taint and have zeeero issues, no more monkey ass, just smooth running. I can't help with waist issue, maybe tuck your shirt.