Altras (Read 303 times)

Jan26.2

After quite a lot of "research" I'm considering trying a pair. Since I run in stability shoes currently, I'm planning to try the Provisioness, which contains their version of a stability wedge that can be removed if needed. Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with the Altras? Would love to hear it.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

Half Fanatic #846

I don't have any Altras, but I think  www.runblogger.com has written a detailed review on them (and many others) - don't know if it was that particular model, though.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

If your foot is shaped like Fred Flintstone's and you don't mind a stiff, heavy shoe, they might work for you.

What are you looking for that you're not getting from your current shoe?

Liz

pace sera, sera

kcam

My feet must be shaped like Fred Flintstone's but I really like my Altra Instinct.  The wide forefoot allows my toes to splay out rather than being crammed together like most shoes do to me.  The Instinct are minimalist, though, so wouldn't work well for you and you also need to get used to the zero drop thing.  I wear them once or twice a week to give my feet a break from my narrow shoes and to keep my calves stretched a little so that when I wear normal racing flats it's not such a shock to the legs.

I've liked them - got the instinct - I was already used to zero drop, and as mentioned I like having room for my toes.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Resident Sk8r boi

No Flintstone feet here, but I do like the Altras. I have the Instinct 1.5 and the Lone Peak trail shoes. My Altras are secret provisions, since I got a stability wedge from someone who wasn't using it so I could avoid buying another pair to see if it helped. I don't find the Instincts any heavier than a traditional trainer (9-ish ounces), nor do i find them overly stiff. They have gotten less stiff with wear (about 100 miles so far).

They were my daily trainers for about a month or so, but I am back to rotating them in with a more traditional shoe, just to keep things balanced in terms of muscles used. They are an easier adjustment on trails than road for me, fwiw.

I am a huge Altra fan and think Altra is making great shoes.  I have worn Intuition 1.5, Provisioness and now Torin.  I love them all.  I woukd definitely try them,  I don't find them heavy or stiff at all.  I, too, was used to a zero or very small drop.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Jan26.2

Thanks for the responses. I don't have Fred Flintstone feet either, but I can't wear shoes with a narrow toe box. Compared to the shoes I run in now, the Altras will be lighter. I'll have to ease into the zero drop, as I'm not used to that, but I'm willing to take the time to ease in gradually.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

Gotta tell you the truth... I'm surprised how many people are loving the Altra's these days.

I sell a lot more pairs than I'd expect in run specialty... it's a great shoe, feels great.. awesome fit.. but for ME, just doesn't feel like a running shoe.

By that, I just mean it simply doesnt make me want to move forward.  I'd much prefer to run in a Kinvara-like shoe... that (again to ME) feels fast and fun to run in.

---------

The Thunder

I've got a pair...keep meaning to run more in them, but they just aren't knocking at the door of my rotation.  I'll tell ya what though, I wear them around casually more than any other shoe.  Love the drop for a walking around in shoe.  Like someone else here said, they don't make me want to go run in them.  But I've done some faster type stuff in them, and they felt just fine for that too.

Also, I've seen HStreet run, and seen lots of photographic evidence of her running...in Altra's, and that babe is made for those shoes.  Her foot strike is what you'd want to have in that shoe.  Not many people will run like that.  So just because it's the right shoe for her, doesn't mean it's going to make you run LIKE her.  Just know that.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I am a huge Altra fan and think Altra is making great shoes.  I have worn Intuition 1.5, Provisioness and now Torin.  I love them all.  I woukd definitely try them,  I don't find them heavy or stiff at all.  I, too, was used to a zero or very small drop.

HStreet -  To your mind, what are the differences between the three shoes other than sole thickness?

Especially between the Torin and Intuition 1.5.

steph  

Torin definitely feels more cushioned, but nothing like Hokas.  I think the Intuition 1.5 has plenty of cushioning, but the Torin feels a little better for runs of 10 miles and up.  I only have about 40 miles on the Torins since it is a new shoe.  Provisioness has just a little posting, which I can go with, too.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Torin definitely feels more cushioned, but nothing like Hokas.  I think the Intuition 1.5 has plenty of cushioning, but the Torin feels a little better for runs of 10 miles and up.  I only have about 40 miles on the Torins since it is a new shoe.  Provisioness has just a little posting, which I can go with, too.

How do the sizes relate between the Hokas and the Torins?

steph  

I get my regular 8 1/2 in the Altras ( I wear 7 1/2 street shoes).  Altras have a really wide toe box, which is nice.

kcam

I'll tell ya what though, I wear them around casually more than any other shoe.  Love the drop for a walking around in shoe.

Agree.  I like just wearing them around as they feel nice with that wide toebox.  Another shoe that I really like (wear them daily to work) is the Olukai.  They have the same wide toebox as the Altra and feel like zero-droppers too.  I bought their Moloa shoe on a lark at REI and am now a big fan.