Weak Stamina (Read 279 times)

Pinky_k

I want to get started with running , but I have very weak stamina. What can I do to improve my stamina?

Chris Pinney

I think about baseball.

beat

Break on through

Look up Couch To 5K.   It's a good plan for getting started.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Christirei

You will just have to work at building up, couch to 5k is just a program that helps you start with alternating running with walking and gradually takes you all of the way to running a 5k, great program if you are beginning and will help you build up your stamina

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

...but I have very weak stamina.

Don't worry.  Everyone starts that way.  Just work it up slowly.  A Couch to 5K program is usually a good place to start.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Katy_PQ

H
                Katy_PQ

Hi Pinky,

I agree that couch to 5k will be a good start for your running. About stamina just practice will make it perfect. Just give it a time each day and see how you can increase the time stretch slowly. It is all about making your body get used to certain kind of working.

Bob_Loke

Hey,

It is really good that you are into running. It is really a good habit and a great fitness tip. I believe you should start with a slow pace and then gear up. little breaks or rest in the middle will not cause much of harm but it should be for a minimal time.

robin from maine

The best piece of advice I was given before I started running was "slow down". If it hurts to breathe, slow down the pace a bit, walk if necessary. I started to realize that part of what was happening was that I was training my muscles to be more efficient, so more effective with the same cardiac and respiratory resources, but that muscle efficiency takes weeks and months and years to develop.

The couch to 5K program takes this into account, by recommending starting with brief running intervals interspersed with walking intervals, repeating weeks if necessary, and not expecting to necessarily run 5K in 30 minutes depending on age and conditioning. It is helpful for many people as it gives a realistic schedule on how much to do, how often, and how hard.  It's not the only way to go, though. Get out regularly (or in, on a treadmill), slow down if you're hurting, set manageable goals, don't expect to go longer and faster every session.

Good luck.

Bob_Loke

I was just trying to figure out few more things on this... and I found an application which is an application that uses couch to 5 K ( C25K) running plan. It is an awesome application. I used it personally  first before sharing it with you. It has an audio control which allows us to understand what we have to do. It is a nine week scheduled run which includes lot of rest while running and still can remain fit.

Link for the FB page : https://www.facebook.com/FirstRunning

Sometimes little bit of research does work to get the best. It also calculates the distance. So this will help you gain control over your running pace. An amazing app by Mobiefit. Kudos to you guys Mobiefit.

NHLA

Just run a little father each day. After I could run 5 miles it started getting easier.

Are you feeling heathy and well?  If not go to a Doctor and make sure nothing is wrong.

Pinky_k

Hey everyone,

great insights. Is there any diet plan I need to follow with couch to 5K or Firstrun  or any other slow pace running?

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

The best diet plan is to just eat more fruits and vegetables and let these healthier foods crowd out the less healthy foods. Running will increase your appetite so you will likely eat more. Generally, you can eat as much veggies as you want. You just don't want that increased appetite to cause you to pound down more cheeseburgers.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

I started running because once I couldn't even run for a full minute. So that was my stamina. It does get better "with time."

If you are a beginner, promise yourself you will be patient. It will take a long time even months before you feel like you are really running. During that time life will happen and will disrupt your running... happens to me all the time.

If you are running for weight loss you might not see any for a few months. In fact, you might gain some. Don't stop if this happens. You will not be able to build stamina if you stop.

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog