Wisdom teeth... (Read 233 times)

My own experience with it was pretty awful.  Four impacted, roots grown in deep, like sinuses-deep.  I ended up with a pretty righteous secondary infection, too.

Surgery was at the start of September.  I didn't even make 70 miles that month.  (By comparison, October was 224 and November was 330.)

On the other end of the spectrum, you could be fine the next day.  I'd avoid the pizza in either case, though. :-P

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I took a day off and then ran 10.  The periodontist is a runner too and he had no problems with it as long as I felt like it.

You people have issues 

So, I'll just leave you with one tip: "don't suck".  As in, literally.  After the surgery, don't suck on straws and stuff.

This.  So, it you're a mouth breather, be careful.

There is a condition called "dry socket", which, to fix, is very painful.  There is some scar tissue/blood/whatever on top of the holes that are supposed to stay there a while.  If you dislodge them, you could get dry socket.

It's more common for smokers to get (yeah, I know, we're runners, we probably don't smoke), but lots and lots of air moving over those wounds could cause an issue.

Jeff

I had my wisdom teeth (all four were impacted) removed the summer before I started college. I was very groggy and nauseous for the next day or so (I just stayed in bed). I vaguely remember my parents changing my gauze for me. After that I was back to normal minus some chipmunk cheeks. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

dirtroadrunner

Wow! I'm terrified now Surprised  I think the dry socket thing happened to me with the bottom two. Not a pop drinker, will avoid straws. I am a mouth breather when running so thank you for pointing that out!  Not a smoker Smile  I have had 3 c-sections and only took the pain pills for 2 days. After that just Motrin!  I should have had this done before Christmas. (Mental kick to self) my first half is the end of April. It might be a hope to finish hand be happy.

TJoseph

Wow! I'm terrified now Surprised  I think the dry socket thing happened to me with the bottom two. Not a pop drinker, will avoid straws. I am a mouth breather when running so thank you for pointing that out!  Not a smoker Smile  I have had 3 c-sections and only took the pain pills for 2 days. After that just Motrin!  I should have had this done before Christmas. (Mental kick to self) my first half is the end of April. It might be a hope to finish hand be happy.

I had mine taken out right before Christmas (when I was 19).  It wasn't very fun.  I couldn't eat Christmas dinner.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Odds are, your training won't take that much of a hit, and you'll do just fine on your half. Smile

#artbydmcbride

Don't forget to put them under your pillow for the tooth fairy!

Runners run

Revenge of the Nerd

I had four bicuspids extracted in one sitting as a teen, prior to getting braces. Although I didn't feel it, I can vividly recall the sound as the teeth were awkwardly torn from their sockets. As a result, I still have my wisdom teeth.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

dirtroadrunner

Don't forget to put them under your pillow for the tooth fairy!

Absolutely! Surely to go thru the terror of wisdom teeth extraction I deserve something (like new shoes Wink )

I had 2 wisdoms along with 1 molar pulled 2 weeks ago. I had it done on Friday. The Dr. told me no running till Sunday. I felt like crap so I didn't run till Monday. Vicodin does not really make me too motivated anyway.

Like you I had my lowers done years ago and it was NOT very fun. This time I had the uppers done with nitrous and it was not 1/2 as bad.  I was more nervous than it was painful. Honestly ,if I had to do it again I would skip the nitrous. It was a waste of $$ for me. I paid an extra $220 out of pocket for it and it had about as much of an effect on me as if I had a shot and a beer beforehand. To be put under using an IV would have cost me almost $400 out of pocket,so I opted for the nitrous.

Dirtroadrunner,don't be too nervous,like I said uppers are not too bad,and I'm a total wimp when it comes to dentists!

Are you being put under via IV,nitrous,or local ??

I have to have my wisdom teeth out in a couple weeks. I will be out while they do it. Any experience on running afterward. Will I need off a couple days...

--Depends on the person, and the doctor, and other unknown factors.

I had mine pulled (2 impacted) by a civilian with a great reputation before I joined the military and was eating a Taco Bell Nachos Bellgrande the very next day. --- Was not supposed to ,but you know, I was hungry :-)   ---My wife on the other hand had hers pulled (0 of them were impacted, so should have been easy) and to this day, her jaw pops when she eats.. Hmmmmm.....  (She had a sh1tty dentist!)

Main point is you do not know until it is done and you have to see how you feel!   Will not know until post removal, but for a good majority of folks, a couple days off and then can ramp back into the running.      

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

dirtroadrunner

I had nitrous, then IV sedation, and local. My oral surgeon was awesome. I was terrified to run until 5 days after and didn't push it or go to far because the wind was horrid that day. So never really had any pain. Only some  tension headaches from my jaw. 9 days after and I'm great!

Mr MattM

Ah, the memories... Mine were not pulled, they were cut out. One was sideways with a hooked root... the Doc had to slice open the gum line and lay it off to both sides... I recall him hovering over me with a knee in my chest and a huge pair of what looked like lock cutters... he had to muscle up on it until I heard a loud cracking sound... then he pulled out the top half of the tooth... and went back in with smaller tools to dig out the bottom half. What a great memory.

be curious; not judgmental

dirtroadrunner

Ah, the memories... Mine were not pulled, they were cut out. One was sideways with a hooked root... the Doc had to slice open the gum line and lay it off to both sides... I recall him hovering over me with a knee in my chest and a huge pair of what looked like lock cutters... he had to muscle up on it until I heard a loud cracking sound... then he pulled out the top half of the tooth... and went back in with smaller tools to dig out the bottom half. What a great memory.

That. Was. Horrifying!