first race jitters (Read 715 times)

shyrunner07

one week to go....! *gulps* First race will be an 8k...following hal higdon's plan to get ready for it, but much to my dismay today, i realized that his plan only takes you through 4.5 miles...with the 8k being 6 point some odd miles, that's leaving me with another mile and a half or so that i haven't yet attempted. I'd sure feel better if i knew that i had at least covered that distance at some point in the training. I wonder if i'd be able to see the finish line by 4.5 miles? I'm sure that would probably give me a mental boost during the race.... aside from that, i'm just nervous about the whole shebang...even though my only goal is to cross the finish line, i'm skeered to think that i'll be the last one (and by an embarrassing time too!). They are handicapping it, so hopefully that won't happen (boy would that be embarrassing if it did! Being given a 10 or so minute handicap and still coming in dead dead dead last! Tongue)...I'm scared that next week is going to be like an image straight from Highlights..."which one of these people does not fit in?" Tongue What do most people eat the night before? Would a salad be okay, or should i go for a bowl of brown rice or pasta? I know it's only 6 miles, so food probably isn't a major concern... On the upside... I picked up my first wicking shirt today- wow! Can't get over how much more comfortable I was! Smile Usually by the time i finish running, my shirts feel like you could just wring the sweat out of them (gah, what a lovely image that must be! *snort*), but tonight...it felt just as dry at the end as it did when i started! Smile The fit is a little more snug than I'd care for, but that just gives me more incentive to keep up the jiggle fight. Also picked up an armband for the iPod- didn't like the position of it up on my upper arm, so I'm sure all the *real* runners next week will laugh at my placement- on my wrist. Tongue Much easier to navigate the controls though- just hoping it doesn't alter my nike+ reading too much? the other bright thought...I did my run tonight of 4.5 miles, which felt really easy and good. Granted I did have to take a few walk breaks (for about 2minutes at a time...*sigh* Someday, I'll get up to just out and out running...), but even with that, I was pleasantly surprised to go back and see that I had shaved 3.5 minutes off my last run of the same distance! Smile go me. *goes back to biting fingernails*
      Actually 8k is a shade less than 5 miles (4.97 or so) so your training isn't leaving you too short. If you can run 4.5 miles now, I'm pretty sure you can go to 5 with out much trouble. Worst case scenario is you have to walk the last 0.47 miles - and since your goal is to finish - you should be in good shape for that. I was pretty nervous about being last in my first race too. Don't worry about it - odds are you won't be last. And if you are no one will be there laughing - but I'm guessing some will be there to cheer you on. What helped me the most in my first race was just making sure I got up on time and then I pretended it was just another training run. That helped a lot. On the food, anything will work for that distance. Yeah the dri-fit shirts make a big difference - especially now that its getting hotter. Don't worry about the IPOD placement either. You will learn (in a week) that everyone else is so busy worrying about you looking at them that they are not even going to notice where yours is - who knows you may start a trend. Cool That's great on your distance - and don't worry about walking when you need to during the race - you will not be the only one. And stop eating those fingernails - the brown rice or pasta sounds much more appetizing.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

shyrunner07

holy crap, are you serious? not even 5 miles in an 8k? shooooooot, i could do that! wow, i feel soooo much more relieved....now I am totally doing this race! still worried about rubbing noses with *real* runners, but oh well...hopefully they won't mind me intruding on their turf for the day. Smile oh, and thanks for the tip re: the fingernails! Smile you do have a point- not exactly the most appetizing of meals! Tongue But they do have protein going for them, right? *snort*
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bah, you can totally do this! A 10k is 6.2, an 8k is way doable for ya'! Big grin BTW, this is the case I have for my Nano. I LOVE it! One time I was fiddling with the clip on my waist and it fell. All it did was bounce on the asphalt. The nano had not a scratch and was just fine. I see they have iPhone cases, too... *sigh* k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

oh, i'll have to look into that one! I would prefer something that was at waist level, though for right now, i don't have anything that it would attach to (unless i got some new running shorts/skirts or a water belt....hmmmm....Wink ) this one is my armband..http://www.goincase.com/products/images/CL56085/detail/nanosportsarmbandpink2-1.jpg. Almost got the nike+ sport band, but i think this one is prettier.... Big grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I like that! I am still tempted to try that Nike+ kit, since I know there are little shoe pouches that can be used for any shoe. I'm not sure how much I would actually use it, though. k

~ Sarah Kay

good luck shyrunner. its hardly any distance at all past wht you've already done. and imagine just how great you are going to feel crossing that finish line Big grin
                  I completed my first race yesterday (5.7m) and it wasnt half as bad as i expected like you I just wanted to cross the finish line (preferably not last Wink) and told myself I'd be about 1.5 hours but hoped for 1h 15m actually done it in 1.06. I slowed down when I needed to and when I felt ok put a bit extra effort in and just kept going. Mine was a pm race so in the end with advice from others on the board I didnt worry too much what I ate but did have a banana on my way to the race & drank plenty water through the day. I am still feeling ok today and ready for my next one!! Good luck you'll be great As for Nike+ I have on and its the best thing I've ever bought. It logs all my runs & keeps a record on the website. During the run you can press to see how you're doing - if you're feeling tired press for your powersong. You can select various options for running, timed, distance, calories and basic. Well worth it.
                    oops pressed quote instead of modify!!
                    shyrunner07

dumb question.... if i do the bulk of my running in the pm, will that mess things up come race time saturday morning? thanks for all the encouragement guys...i still can't believe i am going to do this...!
                      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

if i do the bulk of my running in the pm, will that mess things up come race time saturday morning?
                        Some people do feel slower in the morning. But others don't. It might matter if you were trying to shave the last few seconds off a PR. But it's not going to get in the way of a good solid finish. You'll be fine.
                        still worried about rubbing noses with *real* runners
                        You're running a freaking race. What does that make you?! Cool There's no magic cutoff time that makes you a real runner. It's all about attitude.
                        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                          One thing I learned and enjoyed, is that when I first got into running and going to races my friends would tell everyone around us that it was my first, or second or third race...it was awesome how much support I got from all the runners around me. Try it, you'll see how good you'll feel with everyone telling you that you'll do great and that you'll have fun and all that. During the race runners will remember you and cheer you on with support if they notice you getting tired, or slowing down. Plus, it gives other first time racers a chance to speak up and join you with being nervous and excited!! Just some of the many reasons why I enjoy running and racing.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One thing I learned and enjoyed, is that when I first got into running and going to races my friends would tell everyone around us that it was my first, or second or third race...it was awesome how much support I got from all the runners around me. Try it, you'll see how good you'll feel with everyone telling you that you'll do great and that you'll have fun and all that. During the race runners will remember you and cheer you on with support if they notice you getting tired, or slowing down. Plus, it gives other first time racers a chance to speak up and join you with being nervous and excited!! Just some of the many reasons why I enjoy running and racing.
                            I found this to be VERY true when I ran my first HM last Fall. They had celebrity pace teams and until the 9 mile mark when the marathon folks branched off I was mostly around the Oprah pace folks. Very nice bunch of people and we went for several miles hootin' and hollerin' and supporting other runners. Whenever we'd find out that it was someone's first we'd all cheer. Great experience! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You're gonna have a blast. We'll all be there in spirit Good luck! And one more thing -- bring a roll of toilet paper. They always run out. Shoes and TP -- everything else is optional. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

shyrunner07

toilet paper? where do you put that when you are running? i'm having a hard time figuring out where to put a pack of gum on saturday, let alone a whole roll of Charmin! Tongue hey, if the race website doesn't say anything about iPods, does that mean they are okay to listen to? Or is it just understood that people don't use them? My plan was to wear one earphone in my right ear and leave the left ear open, so that i can hear if someone is coming up on me (but given that i'll be at the back of the pack, i def don't see that happening at all!! lol) oooh, how cool is this? Next weekend there is a 5k run/walk at another zoo, and my daughter (4yr old) has decided she wants to join me! We'll be doing the 5k Sloth Walk together... Smile