Female runners - severe abdominal cramping issues? (Read 112 times)

mark_v_socal

Greetings fellow runners,

I am reaching out to the RunningAhead community today on my wife's behalf.

A little bit about us:  my wife and I are in our late 30s as of this writing, and we have been running marathons and half marathons since 2006 - for ten years now.  We started by getting into the AIDS Marathon Training Program here in Los Angeles in early 2006, and we ran the Honolulu Marathon in December of that year.  Since then, we've switched to halves (though I ran the L.A. marathon once since then) because the training commitment is so much easier, and everyone knows that the first half of a marathon is the fun half.  

We do not have children.  She has not been pregnant.

We are Galloway method runners - she runs 3 minutes, walks 1 minute, and repeats through the end of her runs regardless of distance.  I do the same, but on a 4-1 interval.  We have run about 17 half marathons over the past 10 years, and have kept up our short- and long-run training, with some interruptions (who hasn't?).  Her half PR is around 2:13 and mine is just under 2:00 (1:59, ONE time!).

I have been so proud of my wife, who was not athletic as a younger person, to see her hop on the marathon bandwagon and never get off.  I played water polo and swam competitively in jr. high and high school, so although I took a lengthy "athletic sabbatical" during college and beyond, I had been in excellent shape at one point in my early years.

Anyway, a couple of years ago - when my wife was perhaps 35 or so - she started experiencing what she describes as "extremely painful lower abdominal cramps".  She said that it "feels exactly like a menstrual cramp".  As far as we know - she goes to the doctor regularly - she has no complications or irregularities on that front, generally speaking.

She has attempted a modification of her running strategy - after a certain amount of time (20 minutes or so), just prior to when she feels it coming on, she will walk for an extended period of about 10 minutes.  If she doesn't follow this strategy, the cramp nearly-inevitably strikes, and she has to STOP running entirely, and generally ends up sitting down doubled over for several minutes until it begins to subside.  Sometimes the cramp strikes even when she follows this method.  She's reported that she has also developed the cramp during Zumba, which she used to do weekly, but not during her crazy intense yoga classes.

We've now reached a critical point where she is no longer getting any joy from running - any distance.  In fact, she's recently re-classified her registration from the half marathon trail race we're about to run for the third time (Chesebro Half in Agoura Hills, CA) to the 10K that is run concurrently.  She's essentially told me that she's about to give up on running, solely due to this cramping issue.  I've been encouraging her to try different tactics, talk to other women, etc. and as her "coach" (she's mine as well) I've been reluctant to a) let her give up without fighting even more to solve the problem, and b) lose my running partner!

But, I also see it from her perspective.  If I had to endure a cramp that was so painful that it threatened to make me pass out with EVERY run, I would probably find a new active hobby as well!

So I appeal here to you, RunningAhead members.  Surely other women have experienced this problem as well.

Things we have thought of:

* Cross-training - she does a fair amount of very intense/physical yoga.  Her core strength should be good.  We walk around a lot (more than average, office-working people).  We are generally active aside from the running.

* (Relatively) Healthy diet - we are of average "fatness" / fitness for late 30 year old American runners; we are neither rail-thin nor overweight.  She is generally more conscientious of what she eats than I am.

* Hydration - she carries a water bottle even for short runs. She does not overdrink (water or anything else, LOL!).

* She does not have endometriosis.

I am desperate to help my wife with this problem - any suggestions, resources, opinions, etc. are greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the long post!

-Mark

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

* She does not have endometriosis.

She's had laparoscopic surgery to rule this out?  'Cause that is the ONLY means of diagnosis.  I had cramps like hers all through HS running...between that and undiagnosed asthma it killed any sort of distance running enjoyment for me.  My endometriosis was not diagnosed until I had my tubes tied laparoscopically when I was 30 -- though I had always suspected endo.  I suffered with pretty much textbook symptoms from my very first cycle and was on the pill for a solid decade for relief.  When I was in labor with my son I found that my contractions felt pretty much exactly like the cramping I had as a teen that would have me white as a ghost and in a cold sweat (and attending school with nothing better than Advil for pain relief).

Aside from endo, perhaps ovarian cysts could be an issue?  Or fibroid tumors.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mark_v_socal

Hi Zoom-Zoom - thank you very much for your reply.  I asked my wife, she says:  "I asked my doctor, because I suspected that as well, but he said no."  I take it that "the doctor said no" does not equal  laparoscopic surgery to confirm or deny that, since surely she would have mentioned that detail.  Smile

I had no idea that laparoscopic surgery was indicated simply for diagnosis; I will have her ask the doctor about that.  I know that her sister has had cysts, and according to an article I read on the Mayo Clinic's website, "never giving birth" and "one or more relatives (mother, aunt or sister) with endometriosis" - which her sister may have, I don't know - are risk factors for having endometriosis.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Zoom-Zoom.  Certainly these are things to talk to the doctor about.

Were you able to find relief from the endometriosis via surgery or any other treatment?  Do you experience similar cramping when running (still)?

Does anyone else have any opinions, thoughts, etc.?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi Zoom-Zoom - thank you very much for your reply.  I asked my wife, she says:  "I asked my doctor, because I suspected that as well, but he said no."  I take it that "the doctor said no" does not equal  laparoscopic surgery to confirm or deny that, since surely she would have mentioned that detail.  Smile

I had no idea that laparoscopic surgery was indicated simply for diagnosis; I will have her ask the doctor about that.  I know that her sister has had cysts, and according to an article I read on the Mayo Clinic's website, "never giving birth" and "one or more relatives (mother, aunt or sister) with endometriosis" - which her sister may have, I don't know - are risk factors for having endometriosis.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Zoom-Zoom.  Certainly these are things to talk to the doctor about.

Were you able to find relief from the endometriosis via surgery or any other treatment?  Do you experience similar cramping when running (still)?

Does anyone else have any opinions, thoughts, etc.?

Endo is definitely genetic.  My mom was diagnosed when she had her hysterectomy.  My sister almost certainly has it, as well.  All 3 of us have pretty much carbon-copy symptoms and histories with the disorder.

I find it bizarre that her doctor would brush off her symptoms and rule out endo without appropriate diagnostic measures.  It's not exactly a rare condition (it's confirmed in something like 15% of women and suspected in closer to 25%).  Severe and otherwise inexplicable pain is the primary symptom.

The pain part of things improved a lot with age and having having my son.  It was at its worst in my teens.  When I had my tubal I also had thermal ablation done, which helped tremendously with pain and blood loss.  My doctor also burned off a bunch of spots/adhesions while doing the tubal.  I've not had significant pain or bleeding since.  That was >10 years ago.  I started running almost exactly 10 years ago and it was such a relief to not deal with the cramping that would have me balled-up and in a cold sweat during/after harder workouts.

The years I spent on the pill were really helpful, too.  Those years probably kept me from becoming infertile.  My doc was actually surprised that we didn't struggle to get pregnant in the first place, since I had a lot of spots of endo and organs adhered together.  She believed the damage would have made it difficult to become pregnant a second time, especially since my c-section scar was covered in endo growth.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mark_v_socal

A very belated "thank you" to you, Zoom-Zoom, for the helpful details.  My wife has read and re-read the posts and will discuss all of this with her doctors soon.  Thanks again!

jenng23

I have this and my sister does as well. It is exactly as you described your wife's pain- menstrual like. My sister who has had a child even says it feels like the early contractions when giving birth. We have also exhausted forums looking for answers and there really aren't too many and the doctors we have spoke to confirm that we don't have any cysts or other health issues and don't have much to offer. Over the years I have drawn some conclusion such as that since it is something that both my sister and I experience I have to say there is probably a genetic element. Time of the month is also critical, the week before menstruation is usually the worst.

Key factors to controlling the cramps:

*Don't start too fast! If I don't warm up and start hot I inevitably get the cramps at about 1.5-2miles in.

*Stay hydrated.

*Clear bowels before running. !!!

*Don't give up on your run if you get the cramps! The weird thing about these are that the pain can be so bad that it feels like I might throw up or the later... BUT I have found that once the cramp subsides, it never comes back in that run. So sometimes if it isn't too horrible I will try to run through it slowing my pace a bit and it will go away on it's own. More often, I pull over, usually squat first and do some arms over head stretching and gentle twisting and sometimes just lie flat on my back, lift the band of my pants off my stomach and take deep breaths and then stretch my whole body. After about 3-5minutes they are usually better and I can start running slowing and then pick it up once I am confident it has passed.

I hope this is helpful. It is an odd thing that I am still looking for answers on as well, but you can assure your wife she is not alone! Best of luck, don't give up!!

mark_v_socal

Thank you Jenn for the reply and encouragement.  I am glad that you saw this post and replied.  There must be an explanation, and as you said, my wife (and you, and your sister, and Zoom-Zoom here) are not alone!

Hopefully this thread can stand as an ongoing source of information and ideas on this issue.

Thanks again for posting!  I will share this with Carla, my wife.

-Mark