I've hit a wall! (Read 458 times)

Ravish

So I'm fairly new to the running thing. I'm quite fit in general, but only started running about 6 weeks ago.

I run 5km 4 times a week and in the beginning I enjoyed it, only getting a little out of breath towards the end. Now however, even though I don't get as tired as I did in the beginning, right from the start everything between my knees and my ankles hurt (shins and calves). Even stopping to walk when it gets too bad hurts. I can feel I'm getting fitter, but I can't seem to cross this pain-wall!

What would be the best way to push through this? Run more? Run less? Run further? Slower? Faster?

Help! Dead

PS: I didn't change anything. Same route, same shoes, same time of day.

an amazing likeness

Not a lot of info to work with from your message post...I think you've shared that you run ~20km per week, and that you've got shin, ankle, calf and foot pain in some combination.  Hope that's close.

First of, there's aches and pains and normal soreness from training -- that's to be expected. But pain shouldn't be a routine part of your runs. If you're in pain from running, then you need to find the cause and change something.

Be sure you're not hammering each run as an all-out 'race' -- run mostly easy, and that you've got the right shoes for your feet and gait. That's all I can offer.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Ravish

Thanks for the reply.

The pain is there irregardless of pace. I started out at 5.5 min/km and the pain has now forced me to slow that down to 7 min/km, but it doesn't make a difference.

I am planning to see an expert about the correct shoes for me. Any other information I can supply you with to assist me?

Karen M

Hi, Ravish! For me getting the right shoes made the biggest difference for me. It was major shin splints, after I got to where I was running 2 miles at a time. Shoes first, then back off to every other day (walking, swimming, other activity than running is OK on the off days), and run slow enough to be able to keep talking out loud. And ice anything sore after a run. Now, when shin splints hint at coming back for me, I know it's time for a new pair of shoes.  Smile

Marathons are habit-forming...

"I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

Philippians 4:13, NLT

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

As stated by Karen it is likely a shoe issue since you keep getting the pain after slowing down.

Have you tried going to your local running store and doing a gait analysis? Sounds like you might be running in the wrong type of shoe.

Penguin Forever

I did a gait analysis at my local running store yesterday... was very enlightening. Got to see video of myself running and a colorized chart of where I put pressure on my feet. Turns out I had the right idea for what kind of shoes I should be using, which explains why I haven't had much trouble... but I could imagine having the wrong kind of shoes could really throw a wrench in someone's running.