Indy Half Marathon (Read 862 times)

Realtor Runner

I'm registered to run the Indy Half Marathon this coming May. I was just wondering if anyone is registered and how their training is going? Any advice or training tips would be greatly appreciated!
      I'm not, but I hear that everyone calls it the "mini marathon" ... never the HM! Confused Crazy Indianapolisens Wink
      2009: BQ?
        I'm registered and have been training for it. My goal is to break 2hrs even though its my first race. I have ran 13.1 in 2:17 in training, so hoping I can muster up the other 17 mins in 4 months. I have the endurance part of the training down I am up to 16 miles this weekend on long run and have just started recently to work on stamina and speed. I have just been picking up hints and tips where I can get it and soak all these great peoples knowledge upSmile

Dave

I have ran 13.1 in 2:17 in training, so hoping I can muster up the other 17 mins in 4 months.
          Your training looks great from your log, Mark. Consistent and patient. You'll be amazed at the progress you can make in 4 months. 16 is probably plenty of length to train for the half. Anything over about 90 minutes will help you build stamina and your soft tissue but adds marginal improvements aerobically. As you get a bit closer, spend some time running at your target pace so you get an idea of what it feels like. One of my favorite workouts is to run your target pace (9:10) for the second half of your long run (fast finish long run). You don't want to do it too often just because you might need a bit more recovery time but it is a great confidence builder.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Think Whirled Peas

I'm registered and I haven't started training for it yet. I'm just putting miles in right now, I'll start training about 10-12 weeks out. GOOD LUCK!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I am running the "Mini (as trishierunner pointed out, that is what we call it around here!)." I haven't started training yet, I will in a couple weeks. This will be my 2nd time running it (the first time it was my first 1/2 and I hadn't trained, someone I knew just wasn't running it, so my time was 2:30ish). I would like to PR-I am hoping for around 2:11...that is only 6 minutes faster than my 1/2 PR. My only word of advice, send in your seeding time if you have it! If you haven't participated in the Mini, 1/2 the people are walkers, and it can get crazy congested...it took me 36 minutes to cross the start line from the non-seeded corral the first time I ran it...
                I am registered to run along with my brother and 2 sisters ( 1 lives there). This will be my first road mini. I just did a trail on 1-6-08. I have taken a week off of running to let quad's and knees heal. Will start on Mon. a 16 week training period. I think I might try the run 3miles walk 1 min. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Yes
                  Well, it is almost here...how did everyone's training go? I am running more consistently then ever, more easy miles in terms of %, more miles period, and somehow I am slower than ever! Undecided I am trying not to let it get to me too much...I used to train at race pace and eventually get injured, but at least I set PR's...I don't see a PR in my future for the Mini, so I am just going to try and enjoy it and keep at it! But this time I am at least not injured! Wink Good luck everyone! Big grin
                  JakeKnight

Stupid question: is there a full attached to the half ... I mean "mini" ... or is it just the half?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

No, no full. I don't get it either. It's even weirder as people here don't even call it a half. It is either referred to as the mini, or I hear lots of people say "I am training for a marathon," and when you ask what one they say the mini.
                      trojancinephile

Stupid question: is there a full attached to the half ... I mean "mini" ... or is it just the half?
                        Just the "mini." That's one of the reasons why I chose it -- I'd get jealous of all the marathoners and feel silly "just" running the half (yes, I know I'm insane Clowning around ) if there was an attached full.

The Greatest of All Time

Despite the goofy name it's actually a very well staffed race, and you get to run on the track at the Brickyard.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            When you're the largest half in the country, you get to make up the rules as you go. This year, for example, the IRL drivers will be practicing at the same time that the runners are on the track. Should make things interesting. Big grin

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

C-R

Indy Mini - its a rhyme for no reason. And Marcus - running on the track is over-rated. After about 500 yards all I can ever seem to think is "Get me the H%%$$% off this blacktop" It is a well staffed and organized race for 35,000 people spaced on 13.1 miles. It's worth at least one try + we have lots of good pubs here in Indy and some even pour Chimay off the tap.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I am registered and am looking forward to the event. It will be my first half. Hopefully, the weather will be decent adn I hear it is quite a kick to do, so I am ready to get it on! My original goal was just to finish upright and not on the 18:00 M/M meat wagon, but after having done quite a bit of training, I am looking to finish in under 2 hours. We will see how it goes and if I can avoid injury down the stretch. Good luck to all who are running!