Infrequent long runs vs. frequent short runs? (Read 1928 times)

I'm sure this has been asked before, but, here we go again. Is it better to run short runs everyday, or a long run once or twice a week ? Let's say you're shooting for 20-25 miles a week. Does it really make a difference if you break it up with small runs? Or is best to do one or two long runs? Or, does it even matter?

- Anya

JakeKnight

I'm sure this has been asked before, but, here we go again. Is it better to run short runs everyday, or a long run once or twice a week ? Let's say you're shooting for 20-25 miles a week. Does it really make a difference if you break it up with small runs? Or is best to do one or two long runs? Or, does it even matter?
      Consistency always wins. Always. Long runs are wildly over emphasized, especially for new runners. If you do long runs - and you don't have to unless you're training for something specific - they *must* be supported by regular, consistent, easy shorter runs. Long runs once or twice a week will get you exactly nowhere, except injured, bored, burned out, and slow. Modified to add: I looked at your log. You're doing it exactly right. Although you might want to lengthen those two miles runs to three mile runs. Modified yet again to add: the only exception to the above would be if you're seriously cross-training for something else. Some tri-athletes do only 1-3 longish runs a week. But they're logging serious miles on the bike and in the pool.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, the gorilla gives good advice. And ditto your log--nice consistency. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

My personal view is that if you take more than a day between runs you are giving up most of the adaptive benefits of the runs. So the more frequent short runs win. I wholeheartedly agree with Jake that the long run is way over-emphasized among newer and more inexperienced marathon runners. I'd rather see someone never do a long run over 15 miles but run 6 days per week than hit 22-23 miles and only run 3 days. I have seen some people do quite well off frequent but shorter runs. Sure, they don't do as well when they run longer races, but running long 1-2 times per week and not much else doesn't fare any better.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I always keep in mind not having my long run be more than about a third of my total mileage and having at least one run that is maybe 2/3 the length of my long run...with shorter recovery/easy runs thrown-in. I like to run more days of the week than not, so at least 4 days. Any less and I don't feel like I'm going to maintain my fitness, much less increase it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

It's best to do both. But if that's not an option for you, I agree with the others--frequent short runs are better than infrequent long runs.

Runners run

JakeKnight

I'd rather see someone never do a long run over 15 miles but run 6 days per week than hit 22-23 miles and only run 3 days. I have seen some people do quite well off frequent but shorter runs. Sure, they don't do as well when they run longer races, but running long 1-2 times per week and not much else doesn't fare any better.
                I've often wondered what would happen if you took two groups of people of similar talent and ability, and had them train for a marathon 6 months in the future - with one group following one of the popular long-run emphasized plans (3-4 days per week plus bi-weekly 20-28 milers) and the other group running 6-7 days per week but never going past 15-16 miles. I'd be willing to bet the latter group would get to race day healthier, happier, in better overall condition ... and at least some of them would end up doing better in the races, even if it was 11 miles farther than they'd ever run. My own marathon times dropped dramatically when I quit emphasizing that one long run and started running every day. Now I rarely go past 18 in training, and paradoxically I feel much, much stronger in the late miles of a marathon.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It's not a question of better - the two scenarios serve different purposes. What goals are you trying to acheive?
                    Thanks for all the feedback. My current goals are to run for fun, but want to stay in shape. I'm aiming for 20 miles per week. I recently started adding a few days of short runs. And this has really boost my weekly milage. But, it almost felt like I was cheating, since they were so easy. Now, I really concentrate on making the most of a quick , short run. And, I find myself feeling pretty good after, even though it was a short run. I'm about to loose one of my core running days, and need to make up those miles.

- Anya

Warning - Thread hijack I too have this nagging feeling that I am not putting in the long run, but with two small kids , I never seem to have the time to do a run longer than an hour. I have a couple of Half marathons coming up this spring, and wondering if it is better if I drop a couple of running days and go on a 2 hour run on the alternate weekends. My longest run so far has been a 10 mile race in November. So the question is, is it better to do 6 X 5-6 miles/day for a total of 30-35 miles/week or do 3 X 5-6 miles/day and a 10 -12 mile long run for a total of 25-30 miles/week (tell me if I am over thinking this). At my current speed I dont think I can go longer than 12 miles without it affecting my "running privileges" Big grin
                        So the question is, is it better to do 6 X 5-6 miles/day for a total of 30-35 miles/week or do 3 X 5-6 miles/day and a 10 -12 mile long run for a total of 25-30 miles/week (tell me if I am over thinking this). At my current speed I dont think I can go longer than 12 miles without it affecting my "running privileges" Big grin
                        A wise man once said "It's best to do both. But if that's not an option for you, I agree with the others--frequent short runs are better than infrequent long runs." And you're probably over thinking it. 30-35 miles/week is better than 25-30 miles/week. If possible add in one or two longer runs to your training (10-12 mile run) just to give you the confidence but you shouldn't worry much if (1) you've already run a 10 mile race and (2) can handle multiple, consistent 30-35 mile weeks.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Ringmaster

HMHopeful, I just wanted to encourage you because I, too, have two young kids, and I know how hard it can be to fit your running in. This is how I did it--I ran six miles 3 or 4x a week, mostly on the dreadmill as I had to do it in the early am before the kids were up. Sometimes I got a bonus easy 4-miler in too. I did my truly long runs on alternate weekends so as to not abuse my "running privileges"--my longest runs were the 13.1 and a 14-miler which took up 2 hours. The other weekends I did go out for road runs, but not usually longer than one hour. Depending on how close your half is, this might be something that works for you.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

In general, I'd go with the frequent short runs over the 1-2 long runs/wk. I agree that your log looks like a good balance and along the lines of what most folks would suggest. You definitely need the volume and frequency to support the long run. But depending on frequency and rest-of-life issues, something less than 7 day/wk may work better for you. I know I've progresssed from 3 days/wk to every other day to 2 on / 1 "off" as I can handle more volume. However, my "off" day may be xc skiing, trail building, or whatever, so depending on life, I might string 10 days of "something" together. It's very rare that I have 2 days off in a row (maybe once or twice a year in recovery week). I'm not willing to sacrifice the length or quality of my normal runs to run every day, and many pgms suggest more recovery for older runners (60F,not Ed Whitlock).
                            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                              Take a 25-mile week, for example. Give me a 9-miler and four 4's and I'll bet everything on the guy who does it this way against someone of equal ability who runs five 5-milers every week. I don't think the long run is overrated at all. The first book on running I ever read was by Lydiard and I remember him saying "the weekly long run is the backbone of any good distance runners program". That stuck with me and I've found long runs help me as much or more as any form of training. That said, I would pick five 5-milers spread over 5 days over any combination of 25 miles spread over 2 days. Spaniel makes a good point when he says: "if you take more than a day between runs you are giving up most of the adaptive benefits of the runs" It's hard for me to believe that so many people can't find 30-40 extra minutes in a day to get in a few easy miles on many of those days they take off. They really make a difference. That's why they are called "maintenance runs". They enable you to hang on to the fitness you developed during your key workouts and races.
                              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                              milkbaby

If you're going to run 25 mpw, you will be better off running 4 times a week varying distances than running 12.5 miles twice or 25 miles once a week. First off, unless you have been running for a very long time AND used to running 25 miles in one shot, you are likely to break down on that one 25 miler every week. It's weekend warrior syndrome where folks are sedentary all week and then try to be a sports hero on the weekend. Their muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones, joints, etc. are just not adapted to do the work because they sat around on their hands all week putting zero stress on them. Then they put a huge stress on them on the weekend and end up in the ER. Smile
                                "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura