Is Ultra Running Healthy, or Harmful? General Discussion (Read 988 times)

DoppleBock

Not sure what you are trying to say ... I had my day in the sun ... once.  

Yes, his posting exploits are well documented and publicized...

It is getting close to time to pull the plug on this little running experiment.  Original goal was 10 years, but I might as well go to 10.5 years.

I will need to find something that gets me a good work out to replace running - Maybe Chip-N-Dale dancer?  But more likely I see biking in my future.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Mr MattM

Oh, I was just being snarky.

I cannot imagine that your posting exploits come anywhere close to your running-soon-to-be-cycling-or-chippendale-dancing exploits.

Then again, I suck at being snarky so it probably wasn't obvious.

be curious; not judgmental

Not sure what you are trying to say ... I had my day in the sun ... once.  

It is getting close to time to pull the plug on this little running experiment.  Original goal was 10 years, but I might as well go to 10.5 years.

I will need to find something that gets me a good work out to replace running - Maybe Chip-N-Dale dancer?  But more likely I see biking in my future.

Why are you considering departing from running?  Your accomplishments are the "1%er of the 1%ers", if that makes sense.  Why not make it a 20 year experiment, or lifetime experiment?  

PS.  If you do make the shift to something else, I'd choose biking over Chippendale dancer.  --- VERY high risk of injuries as a dancer from desperate women... Dozens of desperate women.  Riot mentality and all, you know...  -  Biking is much safer and much less risk of injury.   

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

I don't think ultra running is harmful but I believe you have to listen to your body.   Most ultra runners don't that I've seen.

My last ultra was February, 2012 and May, 2012 was my last road marathon.  I basically had an overuse injury and continued to run on it.  After my last marathon, I decided to take up cycling and have been cycling since May. 

I think ultra running can be harmful if you don't listen to your body and take a break. 

With that said, I think if you don't listen to your body, any type of exercise can be harmful.

A Saucy Wench

Because it's not like the alternative of ultrarunning is logging three miles and doing an p90x video. It's more like playing eight hours of xbox and eating a whole  bag of tostitos.

Are you spying on me?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

Mine either.  Once you've lost one and then lost it again.  And again. And again...it just doesn't grow back the same.

I'm thinking my left foot is larger than my right; it's the one where I've lost all the toenails.  It's fun to show people the grossness that is a lost toenail on the big toe.  But to quote the magnet on my fridge - "Toenails are for sissies."

zonykel

I'm thinking my left foot is larger than my right; it's the one where I've lost all the toenails.  It's fun to show people the grossness that is a lost toenail on the big toe.  But to quote the magnet on my fridge - "Toenails are for sissies."

I've lost 4 toe nails from the same foot. I also get a blister on my Morton's toe on that same foot before the other foot. Although it's possible one foot is bigger than the other, I think I may have another imbalance that causes that foot to land harder than the other. Haven't figured out what that is.

Strict WTF adherent

Incidentally, once, I ran about 36 miles and then ate a whole bag of chips in the car on the 3 hour drive home.  It said it was "Sharing Size".  It lied. 

Ah, I think I'll fit right in here