Trail and Road - Wide Width v. Motion Control v. Low Profile (Read 87 times)

Here's the deal:

I ended up with Achilles tendonitis.  PT says I pronate, especially on the left and need motion control shoes.  I've been wearing Inov8 Roclites (and the road version).  LOVE THEM, plenty of room in the toe box, but too neutral of a shoe.  I used to run in Mizunos, but had significant blister issues due to a narrow toe box, which sent me to the Inov8's.

However, in spending hours on the 'net looking for motion control road and trail shoes with a wide toe box, I'm becoming stumped.  Ordered a pair of Moutain Masochists, but an initial wear says they're too narrow, as well.

Here's what I'm wondering - All the motion control shoes have a built up heel.  The Inov8 Roclites have a low heel.  Could it be not so much only that the shoes are too narrow, but that the higher heel with the narrower toe box combine to put pressure on just the wrong places and cause blisters on the outside of the big toe and ball of the foot on both feet?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Oh - and I'm suppose to start working my way into orthotics, but they continue to give me trouble and I'm now afraid of them.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

The Thunder

Instead of looking online and guessing, I'd take all of your shoes and orthotics to your local run speciality store.  Get their input, and try on several recommendations.  See what feels the best.  Then buy it there, since they support your local running community.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

JML

Instead of looking online and guessing, I'd take all of your shoes and orthotics to your local run speciality store.  Get their input, and try on several recommendations.  See what feels the best.  Then buy it there, since they support your local running community.

+1 on this.  The LRS is your best bet.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Unfortunately, our local running store has a very limited supply, and I've never been able to find a wide toe box shoe there.  Checked again this past weekend, and nada.  We live 4+ hours from the nearest city that has a Fleet Feet, so I buy most of my shoes online.  Am going out of town this weekend and will be looking again, but thought I'd get some ideas from others.

Thanks ~

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

http://www.altrazerodrop.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men

Big toe box, zero drop, stability.

Never worn them, so I can't recommend.  But they fit your specs.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

EdithRevisited

If you ask

I used to run in Asics, but they killed my toes.  I found that Brooks have a pretty wide toe box: I run in Ghosts and found them great both on roads and trails.   Oh, and I always buy a half size larger.

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
              • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
              • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

Thanks for the input, folks.  I'm going to Danville tomorrow and will be visiting what's suppose to be a specialty running store.  Hopefully, they'll be able to help me.

Edith - I always buy a 10.5, which is half to a full size larger.  It's just something about the Mizunos my feet don't like.  5 miles this evening on flattish dirt road - hot spots on the bottom of my big toes and the ball of my foot.  NEVER happened in Inov8s.  I'm going to miss my Inov8s. Cry  If you can wear a low neutral shoe, I highly recommend the Roclite 268.  Run great right out of the box.  Served me well for almost two years.  (I know, I know - quitcher whining and get over it. Wink)

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

northernman

Fight The Future

http://www.altrazerodrop.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men

Big toe box, zero drop, stability.

Never worn them, so I can't recommend.  But they fit your specs.

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. Had never heard of them before, but I just bought some, and I really like them a lot! I got the Instinct 1.5. I've always run in ASICS 21XX shoes, so it's a major departure. But I love having toe room, and I'm already getting used to running with no drop after just a few runs. The only things i don't like, so far, are the name (sounds like "In Stink") and the color, but I can live with that.

kcam

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. Had never heard of them before, but I just bought some, and I really like them a lot! I got the Instinct 1.5. I've always run in ASICS 21XX shoes, so it's a major departure. But I love having toe room, and I'm already getting used to running with no drop after just a few runs. The only things i don't like, so far, are the name (sounds like "In Stink") and the color, but I can live with that.

I have a pair as well and the wide toe box is what I like about them.  While I tend run in shoes with minimal heel-toe drop the zero drop is not that important to me.  I have about 450 miles on my Instincts and they feel just as good as when they were new.  My only complaint is the shoelaces are the kind that tend to come untied so I have to take the trouble to double-knot.  None of my other shoes require double-knotting.