Glass City Marathon 2010 - Finishers (Read 488 times)

I DID IT!!

Yesterday I ran my first-ever marathon and I did it in < 4 hours (3:53:06)! I'm VERY pleased! I'm feeling better today than I expected I would. I'm sore, but am able to get around pretty well. I'm told by my "coach" that I ran a conservative race. Well, I can tell you that it didn't FEEL conservative at the time! :-)

Thanks a bunch to my many family and friends who came out to support me. It's really amazing how much of a boost it is to have people cheering for you, ESPECIALLY around mile 24!

Thanks A LOT, also to my running buddy's Chuck & Candice. Candice, you helped push my pace through the last 4 miles. It was very much appreciated!

Planning on working my butt off this summer to bring my time down to qualify for Boston '11 this fall. Not sure if it's a realistic goal, but I'm going to try like heck to get there!

Despite forecasts a couple days before the race calling for winds near 20 mph & rain, the weather was actually pretty good for running. The rain didn't start coming down until about 5 hours after the start. And the wind wasn't too bad until right near the end.

The course was really nice, with the exception of a portion of Sylvania Avenue under construction that SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSED to traffic for safety reasons! You runners know where I'm talking about.

Any other GCM finishers here? What was your take on the event? Did you meet your goals?

Ron

Goals:
    Complete my first marathon: Glass City - April 25, 2010 (and do it in under 4 hours) DONE! 3:53:06
    Qualify for & run Boston some day
    5K in < 20:00
    10K in < 43:00

2012 Chicago Marathon < 3:30:00

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Way to go!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Congrats Ron!

Indeed, we were very lucky with the weather and the rain holding off. The forecasts in the days prior, even the evening prior were for rain and wind. Humid, yes, but the temps stayed in the 50s and tolerable. The fog provided an interesting backdrop.  We dodged a weather bullet.

Agreed about the traffic on Sylvannia Rd. I nearly got run over by cars @ 40+mph.  Other than the headwind on the way in, it was a great day to run. Kind of desolate course, but fair.

Enjoy the triumph of your first marathon!