Sinus Tarsi Syndrome? (Read 50 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Saturday morning, last day of the recent trip I took with my band to Orlando, I started feeling a familiar pain at the top of my left foot, almost at the ankle. Almost feels like I just jumped off something really tall.  I've felt this before, during a training cycle, but it went away after a day or two.  I was able to run easy, as long as I was on fairly even terrain and was extra careful.  It only seems to hurt when I apply angular pressure, if that's a term.  Walking straight = all good.  Quick change of direction or uneven terrain = pain.

Monday, three days in, it still hurt, so I went to see the school's PT gal.  Long story short, she thinks it may be sinus tarsi syndrome, and looking at the description, I agree.  She recommends ice (of course), and she gave me some exercises to do.  If it's not better in a few days, she recommended going to the sports medicine clinic or a podiatrist.

Starting yesterday afternoon, the pain switched gears.  I still have to be careful about uneven terrain or putting it down wrong, but now, anytime I get up after being off of it for a little while, there is a dull pain at the top of the foot (in front of the previous pain) that lasts for maybe 10-20 steps, then disappears.

Does this sound familiar to anyone who has more experience than I do with injuries of this type?

I'm also wondering what caused it.  Don't remember any incidents involving my foot; I just woke up with it that morning.  All the time on my feet during the trip fatiguing that joint, maybe?  I was in the midst of a pretty heavy training cycle last time I felt this.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people