Running at High Altitudes...attn:CGerber (Read 485 times)

CGerber...and any one else that can comment on High Altitude running. Please check out my thread with questions on High Altotude running http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/a7c5f3481abb4da1850071588bba5fb2 Also, CGerber...I was told yuo might have some insight.. Thanks,
      Thanks for the head's up... I posted a couple of replies Smile - Chris
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://www.skyrunner.com Matt Carpenter's website, with loads of great info about running at altitude

Golden Buff

No drinking of alcohol before the race. Not to help you sleep or anything else. At altitude its a bad idea. Now that I've killed half the fun, enjoy a beer or your favorite beverage by the Yampa River AFTER the race! I looked at the Steamboat for an early marathon this year but its only a week after Bolder Boulder and this is my 14th year with 50,000 of my closest friends, and my son. Wink Can't mess up that tradition. You might consider driving up I-25 from DIA to Fort Collins and then west on Hwy 14 through the Poudre Canyon to get to Steamboat. I make it from Fort Collins to Steamboat in about 2.5 hours, there is a lot less traffic than going I-70 west of Denver and its a beautiful, easy drive where you get to see some real western scenery. Fort Collins is only an hour north of DIA on an interstate so your total time to Steamboat should be about 3.5 hours. Except you are going to want to stop to take photos along the Poudre river. I second the return through Trail Ridge Road IF its open. We've had a ton of snow. Best of luck with the marathon and do bring both kinds of running clothes. Could be hot or cold.
          Curt
            I was reading your post and agree with what a lot of the others had said. I'm lucky enough to live at altitude (5300') and have the opportuntity to train at levels up to 12,000 feet! It's great! Anyway, there is no way around it, the higher up you go, the less O2 in the air so you may feel unusually short of breath and/or dizzy. There is also going to be less humidity so make sure you drink up! If I were you, I would surgically attach a water bottle to my hand starting Friday before you leave so you're drinking on the plane (I ALWAYS get dehydrated on planes for some reason) and continue until the night before your race. Bring sunscreen. Higher altitude=less atmosphere to protect you from the UV rays. You WILL get sunburned! The most important thing to remember is to not run by pace but run by feel. I would dub this marathon a fun marathon and not a marathon where I would be running for a specific time goal. Since there is less O2 in the air, your blood will not be saturated with it's normal level of oxygen therefore there will be less available for your working muscles. Have fun and enjoy the scenery! There's nothing quite like the southwest of the US!!!!! MTA: I'm not sure what the weather will be there but be prepared for the rest of your trip and pack all sorts of clothes from long sleeves and pants to shorts and t-shirts. It's typical for the temps to start out in the 30's or 40's and top out at 70-75 this time of year.
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
              Hey..thanks so much for all your replies......great advice that I will follow...