Stoned Runners??(Best time of the day to run is 4:20 am or pm.) (Read 4481 times)

xor

Well, we're still between semesters and I bet the letsrun crowd is bored.

Pheidippides1

Scout7

Huh.  I must be wired completely differently.  I don't remember my first "runner's high".  I don't remember most of my "firsts".  Probably because, like most things, they were anti-climactic.

If you want to run while high, drunk, or whatever, the great majority of people in the world don't care one way or the other.  It's nice that you found a way to enjoy running, but considering this is a running-based site and community, the simple fact is that a good number of us run sober because we enjoy the simple act of running.

From a personal view, I question why anyone would want to interfere with the simple, natural act of running by involving something else.

"run" "2" "eat"

yeah. it would be like getting high and going to a rock concert, or getting drunk and having sex. who would do that?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Scout7

yeah. it would be like getting high and going to a rock concert, or getting drunk and having sex. who would do that?

Personally, I tend to enjoy sex more if I'm not blasted.

Same with rock concerts, to be honest.  Unless the band or venue is horrible to begin with, then it makes a bigger difference.

Pheidippides1

I do appreciate the feedback but  this was a thread on people who do this. I was trying to get at what they enjoy about it or feel.    I agree being drunk doesn't make anything better.  A mild buzz from alcohol does sometimes increase the conversation or pair well with food. Same thing for marijauna, I'm not looking to get blasted.  

If you enjoy fine wine, what do you think of someone who tells any alcohol is evil?  You probably think, "ok buddy, sorry you are missing out"

That being said, I agree running is an act to be enjoyed for itself.  I don't listen to music when I run.  Just my heart and breathing.  I would run naked if i could.  Also, running is one of the easiest things you do. Similar to swimming or lifting weights, it takes ZERO coordination and little effort.  But  I do not agree with the article on that point.  Swimming is much more difficult to do well.  If you run with good form, running long distances isn't hard.  Running long distances everyday isn't hard.  Yes, running is physical act where you connect with your environment.  Your foot does grab the ground and the act of propelling yourself along is awesome.  But more than that it is a mental and spiritual connection with something deep inside.  An innate response.  And it takes distance to start pulling that out.  I feel I can get in the zone a little better if I toke a little.  Then it really is just my heart beating and the wind going by my ears.  If you understand what I am saying, I would love hear what you think the connection is. 

If you do not do this, don't judge or be small minded.  The human body is a miraculous thing.  We don't understand even 10% of what our potential is.  Not long ago you would have been killed for saying the earth was round or the sun didn't rotate around the earth.  Even less time ago your doctor would have tried to heal you by bleeding you.   

Scout7

Yes, running is physical act where you connect with your environment.  Your foot does grab the ground and the act of propelling yourself along is awesome.  But more than that it is a mental and spiritual connection with something deep inside.  An innate response.  And it takes distance to start pulling that out.  I feel I can get in the zone a little better if I toke a little.  Then it really is just my heart beating and the wind going by my ears.  If you understand what I am saying, I would love hear what you think the connection is.

Yeah, but, it's not just your heart beating and the wind going by your ears.  It's all that AND the marijuana.  You would run naked if you could, you run without music, but you somehow feel that running with a buzz, with the outside assistance of marijuana, is more natural.

But it's still got that external factor.  It's not running naked, it's not running without music.  It's running with assistance.

If you enjoy it, more power to you.  But you cannot claim that running with a buzz is somehow any more natural than running with music or something else.  I'm also just not sure how you can be completely certain of the mental and spiritual connection when you're taking a mood or mind altering substance on a regular basis.

Pheidippides1

Valid points.  I would hardly be the first person to make spiritual connections using substances.  From native americans using peyote to, wine symbolizing the blood of Christ, to any number of cultures throughout history.   

Do you run with shoes?  How is that not an outside factor polluting your run?   Also your idea of marijuana sounds very biased and based on stereotypes.  Its not "mind altering".  Does one beer alter your mind?  No it sounds silly.   A few tokes just makes me feel slightly buzzed, which is dopamine flowing.  Because unlike alcohol, small amounts of weed doesn't affect my coordination and doesn't  have enough tar to affect my lungs.  It adds to my run.  Maybe it does affect those sensors like the article says.  I don't know.  But I know it like it and i'm trying to find others like me.

If you live in a city like Boston, NYC, LA, Atlanta then you inhale pollution equal to intaking a portion of a  cigarette each day.  Are you moving to the country to get a more pure run?

I appreciate if you don't do this, but again,  the earth isn't flat.  

Scout7

Actually, one beer does indeed have an effect. 

I do run with shoes.  But I'm also not claiming any sort of spiritual connection with anything; I am talking about simply enjoying running for the sake of running.

It is my opinion that running while under the influence of some sort of drug in order to increase the enjoyment factor seems rather silly.  But, if that's how you roll, I don't really care.  However, don't be surprised if you don't find many people in this community who share you mindset.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I appreciate if you don't do this, but again,  the earth isn't flat.  

"The earth isn't flat" ?  What the heck are you trying to say here?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

No Talent Drips

Waffles, got plans for tomorrow night? You sound like my kind of man/lady.

Dei Gratia

"run" "2" "eat"

hey, nemo -- i'm booked for tomorrow, yes, but it is reassuring to know that i sound like someone's kind of man/lady... even if that someone is from mainetucky.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Pheidippides1

"The earth isn't flat" ?  What the heck are you trying to say here?

There earth isn’t flat is highlighting how new ideas can be branded wrong or not useful.  I am referring specifically to ideas shot down not because of their merits but because current cultural stereotypes and misinformation. 

Galileo was branded a heretic and placed under house arrest for the rest of his life when he presented his Heliocentric theory.  He was laying the ground work for modern physics. But his ideas were laughed at.   Why? Because current cultural stereotypes and misinformation. 

Doctors used to cut people to let the bad blood bleed out.  There were humors in the body that needed to be adjusted.  How foolish did that prove to be?  Why did it happen? Why? Because current cultural stereotypes and misinformation.

So when I get on a forum and try to find others who may share the same experience but instead I get some guy named BEEF giving me shit and his boyfriend Lopez backing him up every 2 comments, I don’t care.  Why? Because they are letting current cultural stereotypes and misinformation shape their thinking.  

Maybe I did waste my time on here.  Or maybe I will find I don’t like smoking as I age. (It would be nice if someone older who really runs a lot and has smoked chimes in here).   Or maybe someone will read this thread a year or more from now and contact me and that turns into something more.  Who knows.  But being open minded and exploring things I like has lead me to some very unique experiences and people. In other words,  a very rich life.  GLTA.  

xor

No, actually.  You have zero information regarding what cultural stereotypes and (mis)information happens to be shaping my thinking.

I made the simple point that pot stinks.  You trying to compare it to scotch just makes you look/sound goofy. Which doesn't help your case when you jump as newbie into an established group.  And it isn't misinformation... if I think something smells bad, then I do.

As for being beef's SO, we broke up.

Now, here's a cultural stereotype I *will* use.  You are the LEAST mellow pot smoker I think I've ever encountered.  You are like the Yosemite Sam of pot smokers.

Maybe I did waste my time on here.  Or maybe I will find I don’t like smoking as I age. (It would be nice if someone older who really runs a lot and has smoked chimes in here).  

Started running to quit smoking............cigarettes. (though other substances may have been ingested in prior lives) 22 years ago. Only an occasional cigar now. (cough them up for 2 weeks afterwards)

Beer for me. Not when running usually afterwards, but sometimes before or during. Running drunk is doable, but not so much fun.

4:20 am is a great time to run.

Get off my porch