Asthmatics...needs some BTDTs (Read 769 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have been on Singulair for about a year and am not finding it to work all that well. In the last few months it seems that I am hitting the albuterol more than ever--not just before runs and occasionally. It's almost a daily thing, now. In my 25k race over the weekend I had to use it 3 times (and finished 6-10 minutes slower than what I had expected based-upon races and training in the past 6 months due to the lungs and tummy issues). A year ago I needed it only once. I came down with a cold bug a month ago that is STILL having after-effects...or perhaps the allergies simply took over where the cold left off...not really sure. I am still coughing regularly and have needed to take Delsym most night to not keep myself up coughing...it's really wearing on me. If you have been on Singulair and not found it to work well, what sorts of things have worked? I have heard positive things about the inhaled steroid medications and wonder if that might be my next plan of attack. I have my first marathon in early Oct. and really want to get this stuff hammered out before training for that really gets intense.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten: If you cold bug was more bronchitis, it takes much longer to move on and recover. I recently moved from Singulair to Nasonex AND Advair250/50 inhaler. The allergies are much worse in Illinois than Vermont...oh well.... I WAS 2X a day for both, but the steroids keep me awake so I only do them in the AM and now take an Alavert at night so I can keep the nasal passages open and still sleep. My Dr. actually sent me over to a Pulminologist to get the meds right...and we are still adjusting to get the balance. Haven't done too much running lately due to leg issues, but it does seem to help a bit more. My coughing is down quite a bit.

SMART Approach

Zoomy, I have asthma and have had it all my life w/ allergies. I also take Singulair and also used to sell it. Generally, from my experience Singulair works great in 1/3 of patients, decent in 1/3 of patients and not at all in 1/3 of patients. Generally, those it works well for are patients who allergies and asthma are leukotriene mediated. You may not be this type of person. I am. If you need to take your inhaler more than once per week to control asthma then you need to be on an inhaled corticosteroid. You have to see which ones are on your drug plan/formulary. Advair would also be an option (start with lowest dose). This is a inhaled corticosteroid with an long acting bronchodilator included. Albuterol is a short acting bronchodilator. Go see your doc and ask for a sample. Give it a month to see how it works. You will probably be quite happy with it. You need to have your asthma under control and not need to take albuterol inhaler often. BTW, I am assuming you take your Albuterol before exercise right???

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go see a doc. Get your PFTs checked. Consider a round of steroids. Make sure you don't have allergies or sinusitis underlying the current flare.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy, I have asthma and have had it all my life w/ allergies. I also take Singulair and also used to sell it. Generally, from my experience Singulair works great in 1/3 of patients, decent in 1/3 of patients and not at all in 1/3 of patients. Generally, those it works well for are patients who allergies and asthma are leukotriene mediated. You may not be this type of person. I am. If you need to take your inhaler more than once per week to control asthma then you need to be on an inhaled corticosteroid. You have to see which ones are on your drug plan/formulary. Advair would also be an option (start with lowest dose). This is a inhaled corticosteroid with an long acting bronchodilator included. Albuterol is a short acting bronchodilator. Go see your doc and ask for a sample. Give it a month to see how it works. You will probably be quite happy with it. You need to have your asthma under control and not need to take albuterol inhaler often. BTW, I am assuming you take your Albuterol before exercise right???
            I've always heard that about Singulair, too. I think I am probably one of the people for whom it works somewhat. I definitely was expecting more relief and I think it actually worked better for maybe the first 6 months I was on it. Is Advair that disc thing? I think that worked pretty well for my mom. The sleep thing that Kelly mentioned would make me a bit concerned, though. I'm already pretty prone to insomnia, so that will definitely be something I'd watch for. I always use my inhaler before running and take it with me for my long runs, but lately it seems that it's not doing as much as it once did...could be the result of the string of respiratory bugs that I've had though--I've been sick with lung/sinus stuff 3x since Thanksgiving and these things never clear out of my system very fast. Ever since I had a bad bout with bronchitis and pneumonia a decade or more ago I've been hyper-prone to bugs that hit hard and don't let up for weeks, it seems. When I told my mom I used my inhaler 3x during my race she kind of freaked. She's an RN and is worried that it could cause heart issues under such heavy useage. Shocked

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Make sure you don't have allergies or sinusitis underlying the current flare.
              Allergies, definitely. Our cars are coated in thick yellow dust at the moment and the crap coming out of my eyes...blech. Sinusitis is pretty much a constant when the allergies are in high gear. Gonna call my PCP today. I definitely don't want to spend another race with my legs ready to go fast(ish) and my lungs holding me back.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The thick yellow dust on your cars, presumably from pine trees, is rarely allergenic. It all gets filtered out by your nose and throat before it can get into your body deep enough to cause real problems. Allergies typically come from the stuff that is too small to see.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The thick yellow dust on your cars, presumably from pine trees, is rarely allergenic. It all gets filtered out by your nose and throat before it can get into your body deep enough to cause real problems. Allergies typically come from the stuff that is too small to see.
                  Ahhh...but doesn't that stuff come along with the pollen (right now weather.com is showing "very high" tree pollen readings for our area and the forecast for the next few days is the same)? I think our worst culprits right now are maple and oak. Hopefully the worst of the tree blooming is done in the next week or two.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, they both hit around the same time.
                      another thought... The pulminologist tells me that my allergies/sinusitis is triggering the extra asthmas issues...the constant cough...he keeps his eye open for reflux issues that can also trigger asthma Also, I have other sleep issues (apnea) and a (relatively) high stress job which also contributes to this. I even change blood pressure meds just to eliminate all cause of little sleep....hopefully, I can dig out of this sleep hole that I am in and get back to some life.... The job stress may also be contributing to the asthma issues too...as I think that it is a trigger (for me at least)
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

another thought... The pulminologist tells me that my allergies/sinusitis is triggering the extra asthmas issues...the constant cough...he keeps his eye open for reflux issues that can also trigger asthma Also, I have other sleep issues (apnea) and a (relatively) high stress job which also contributes to this. I even change blood pressure meds just to eliminate all cause of little sleep....hopefully, I can dig out of this sleep hole that I am in and get back to some life.... The job stress may also be contributing to the asthma issues too...as I think that it is a trigger (for me at least)
                        It definitely does seem like a lot of this stuff is sort of "vicious-cycle" in nature. The asthma makes me cough...the coughing makes the asthma kick-in harder. Then the sleep issues compound it all. I hadn't thought about reflux, though I'd doubt that's an issue for me--I have a notorious iron gut (and have never dealt with heartburn or issues like that, not even while preggers...though my mom and brother do, so maybe I shouldn't discount that possibility. I did have a very sour stomach during the race. Not sure if that could have been related. I thought maybe it was the result of supper too late or nervous stomach from the breathing issues. When I slowed enough to not be gasping my stomach miraculously calmed, too).

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. GERD. But typically not in somebody who already has asthma.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My PCP is having me come in on Weds. AM, so hopefully I will get some new solutions to this crap. I can't help but be pissed at my folks for a decade of smoking around us as kids and in the car. My brother and sister also have some asthma issues, but I'm the eldest and had the most years of exposure--and my issues are definitely more noticeable and seem to be worsening with age.

~ Sarah Kay

Ringmaster

FWIW, I use Advair and haven't noticed any sleep issues with it. And I never miss my night dose. Yes, I sometimes miss my morning dose. MTA: my friend the Merck rep says you're supposed to take the Singulair two hours before exercise. Does it matter when you take it, Zoomy? *I know.* Roll eyes

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA: my friend the Merck rep says you're supposed to take the Singulair two hours before exercise. Does it matter when you take it, Zoomy? *I know.* Roll eyes
                                Hmmm...I thought I remember that if one is using Singulair just for Asthma they are to take it at one time of day and if for both asthma and allergies at a different time--but I forget what is what. I always take mine at night. Ok, I just checked the site. For allergy treatment it can be taken either day or night. For asthma they recommend at bedtime, so I think that is why I ended up taking it then--I take everything right before bed...vitamin, Flonase, Singulair, Allegra...

~ Sarah Kay