The best Running/Marathon Books (Read 1303 times)

Hey All, I'm just wondering if somebody might be able to point me in the right direction for the best (for you!) running/marathon training books - preferably with a training plan included in it! I am doing the Dublin marathon in October for the first time so would like to read up on it! Cheers, James
    easytarget

Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger/Scott Douglas
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, James...I will also be doing my first marathon in Oct.--best of luck to you as you prepare to train! Smile I have the book previously mentioned, as well as Glover's "The Competitive Runner's Handbook," which has some nice plans for a variety of ability/experience levels. What I am doing is looking at these, as well as Higdon's "Intermediate 1" plan and an intermediate plan in the current issue of "Her Sports + Fitness" magazine...I'm cobbling together something that takes commonalities of these programs. They all start with a base ~30mpw and max-out in the 45-55mpw range. So my "plan" is starting in the low 30s (June 1, just a few weeks after racing a 25k, which I will be starting to train for this week) and I plan to max-out ~45mpw. I had thought about trying to do at least 50mpw, but given that this is my first marathon and I have had my base mileage ~30mpw for less than a year I thought it better to not risk overtraining and burning out before the race.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

There's no training plan included, but I have to recommend this one: Your Comprehensive Guide to Marathon Preparation & Recovery It does give you step by step about what to do leading up to, during, and after your race so that you can, you know, prepare and recover from it. I'll warn you though, I'm biased. I wrote it.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Tim Noakes 'The Lore of Running' literally just turned up delivered on my desk that i ordered on the web a few days ago - don't know much about it yet and with 1,000 pages i've got a bit of reading to do before i can review but from a quick glance very good if you want to understand the science behind running Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Daniel's Running formula and Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathonning together make an incredible training tool.
                I'm training for my first marathon and currently reading Hal Higdon's "Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide" (I had picked up a used copy of the version printed in 1999 - http://product.half.ebay.com/Marathon_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ433960) I'm finding the information there quite useful, but it definitely seems like it is a book for first-time marathoners and not returning or advanced marathoners.
                  Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger/Scott Douglas
                  Ditto to this book.
                  Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                  higa

I think it depends on what your goals are. Just to fininsh or to complete in a certain time. I recommend the former. The book that got me started and got me to my first half marathon was 'The Non-Runners Marathon Trainer' by David Whitsett, Dolgener and Kole. It sets you up if your goal is just to finish. I did my first and only marathon a year ago following this plan. I was slow - 4.52, but i got to the start line, loved the run and didn't hit the wall. I am now training for my second in June and have used a combination of my previous plan and a Runners World plan. I also found Hal Higdon very readable. I'm a bit of a running book junkie. I have a book case full of running books. I now use the local library a lot.
                      I'll warn you though, I'm biased. I wrote it.
                      LOL! At least you're honest!
                      jomike

Another plug for several of the books mentioned above: Daniels Running Formula - Jack Daniels Advanced Marathoning - Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas The Competitive Runners Handbook - Bob Glover and Shelley Lynn Florence-Glover The Lore of Running - Tim Noakes Plus a couple not yet mentioned: Run Strong - Kevin Beck Programmed to Run - Thomas Miller Of those, the ones with the most dog-eared pages are The Competitive Runners Handbook and Programmed to Run.
                          I second the book "Programmed to Run" by Thomas Miller. He does an excellent job of explaining what good form is and offers numerous exercises and drills to help you achieve it. Spending a summer with this book made the single biggest improvement to my running. If you decide to get one let me know. I have a spare copy and I'll make you a deal you can't refuse. Noakes "Lore of Running" is excellent but highly technical. I'm currently reading Daniels Running Formula and it contains a lot of good info but there are a few things I don't agree with so the jury is still out. Tom

over 9000!!!

Another plug for several of the books mentioned above: Daniels Running Formula - Jack Daniels Advanced Marathoning - Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas The Competitive Runners Handbook - Bob Glover and Shelley Lynn Florence-Glover The Lore of Running - Tim Noakes
                            ^This... although, The Lore of Running, while being an extremly well thought-out book, is better suited for getting you to sleep then getting you to the marathon finish line.... (sorry timmy Tongue)
                            GPRUNNER

Daniel's Running formula and Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathonning together make an incredible training tool.
                              I second that.
                                The best (for me) running /marathon training books are probably not the best ones for you. You are starting from a base mpw of 10 or 12 per week, and you want to do your first marathon in 28 weeks. That's a pretty big order, but certainly doable if you don't go overboard and get injured before October. There are various programs that are promoted to do this, ... one example is those of "USA Fit", which starts out with a "long" run of 4 miles and 3 other runs of maybe 1/2 hour or so for the first week (I know some folks who have done this, and I think that's about right.) I know this program includes runs of about 15+ miles, 18+ miles, and 21 miles in the latter stages. So what you want to do is possible, as long as you don't get injured. Your log shows some good things: EASY RUNS. Very important... run easy. Too many don't do this, and don't make it to the starting line. STRENGTH WORKOUT on a running day. Good. Too many do it on an "off" day and never rest the body. OK. I like the book others have mentioned. I have others that are my special favorites. But, based on your log, I'd recommend these for you: Running for Peak Performance by Frank Shorter. Marathon - you can do it by Galloway Shorter's book has has programs (which are not quite right for your level of training but will give you good ideas) which say, e.g. "jog 6 miles", "jog 9 miles", etc. All those runs are a "jog". Galloway's has quite a bit about the run/walk strategy - run for a while, then walk a little bit, then run, etc... I know experienced marathoners who have set new PRs this way. It's a good way to do some of your longer long runs, especially for first-timers. Good luck, and run easy, Gino