RA killed by GoDaddy dot com ? (Read 1293 times)

an amazing likeness

RA being unreachable due to DNS and SSL certs....GoDaddy issue?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Anonymous claims it was them. 

There's a discussion on Slashdot for the nerds here.  And, for those who can see this, you can get to RA even if the DNS fails by going to http://67.203.23.20/

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

eric :)

This is a GoDaddy issue: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/cffec750d2d4462892176cedbd7734e1

I might look into using other registrars when the dust settles.  I used GoDaddy because it's cheap.  They've been slowly increasing their prices and at this point, I might pay a few bucks more per year per domain using a registrar that aligns closer to my ideals.  I haven't done it because I don't know how transferring domains and moving DNS servers will interrupt RA.  Does anyone have experience with this?

I wouldn't say that BlueHost is the best but they are worth a look. 

I wouldn't say that BlueHost is the best but they are worth a look. 

RA owns all of its servers to keep costs down.  I can probably run my own DNS as well so technically I only need a registrar.

While looking into the GoDaddy mess, I came upon this blog entry that offered alternatives: http://blogs.forbes.com/kellyclay/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Moving DNS is pretty seemless. I've done it dozens of times. No one should notice. It's only an issue if you need to change the websites IP address and there are ways to make that happen faster.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+1 on changing server providers. My daughter has done it a few times and I have myself.

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

an amazing likeness

I might look into using other registrars when the dust settles.  I used GoDaddy because it's cheap.  They've been slowly increasing their prices and at this point, I might pay a few bucks more per year per domain using a registrar that aligns closer to my ideals.  I haven't done it because I don't know how transferring domains and moving DNS servers will interrupt RA.  Does anyone have experience with this?

For what's it's worth....I had two reactions to this....(1) To this RA user, it doesn't seem that GoDaddy has a track record of problems delivering the services you want, things have worked well for years, so why leave?  (2) In the heat of the battle yesterday, GoDaddy moved their own DNS to Verisign...so that maybe an indication of who is viewed as a good alternative.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I fully support moving away from GoDaddy. 

I have an old account with zoneedit and still get a certain number of domains for free. Unfortunately new accounts don't get this - you have to pay, but still I've never had a problem with them.

For what's it's worth....I had two reactions to this....(1) To this RA user, it doesn't seem that GoDaddy has a track record of problems delivering the services you want, things have worked well for years, so why leave?  (2) In the heat of the battle yesterday, GoDaddy moved their own DNS to Verisign...so that maybe an indication of who is viewed as a good alternative.

It's not that GoDaddy doesn't work or is unreliable.  They've handled my domain registration for about a decade now, with great prices to boot.  It's not any one thing that got me thinking about the move.  For now, it's still in the debate stage:

Pros:

- decent prices on domain registration and SSL certificates

- fast service (domain, DNS, website) updates

- 24 hour phone support that's based in the US

Cons:

- strong supporter of SOPA before caving in at the last minute to customer outrage

- sleazy image (risque ads)

- if a domain registered by GoDaddy expires, GoDaddy puts it put for auction instead of putting it straight back into the available pool (conflict of interest?)

- Bob Parsons killed an African elephant, for fun

The problem is that I don't know if other registrars offer comparable service.  I don't anticipate problems, but if one does come up, it would be nice to be able to get hold of a person immediately instead of waiting for an email response.  I'll have to ponder some more.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cons:

- strong supporter of SOPA before caving in at the last minute to customer outrage

- sleazy image (risque ads)

- if a domain registered by GoDaddy expires, GoDaddy puts it put for auction instead of putting it straight back into the available pool (conflict of interest?)

Yeah, I am not fond of GoDaddy for these reasons.  And it bugs me that custom domains via Blogger (which I use for my personal blog as well as the ODRAM.com site) automatically are registered with GoDaddy.  That $10/year is a pretty good deal, though, and registering a blog via blogger is about the most seamless, painless process imaginable.  If they offered other options I'd happily pay more.  I should drop Google/Blogger a note and point that out.  Not that it would make a big difference, but maybe if they get a lot of e-mails to that effect they would offer more choices.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dennrunner

As a conservative, I find that appalling.