Step One: Register. CHECK!!! (Read 522 times)

I did it! I signed up for my FIRST MARATHON!! Big grin I'm absolutely really incredibly excited. I've been wanting to do this for so long, but have always been too afraid. A friend finally convinced me to join Team in Training so I'd have running buddies and a little more motivation/accountability to stick with the training. I went to the meeting, fell in love with the idea of doing this for a charity and signed up immediately! I'm so excited to meet other runners in my area and do this for a great cause too. Yay! Just wanted to share with you all. I know I can count on support, motivation and encouragement from everyone here. Now I just have to work on the people in my office...
      Awesome Sara! A friend of mine did Team in Training for Boston's Thompson Island Outward Bound. She was absolutely glowing in the post-race picture wearing her finisher's medal. It's one of the reasons I decided to sign up for a marathon. It's a wild ride with lots of ups and downs, but I know I'm very glad I chose to give it a shot. I'm very much looking forward to your kick-ass progress reports.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Thanks Dawg. Its a good feeling just knowing that I'm going to do it. I can't imagine the post-race glow!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So...when's the race?! That is really awesome! I think '08 is going to be a year of first marathons for a lot of us around here. Last year registration for the Oct. Grand Rapids Marathon opened at the Riverbank Run expo in May. That is when the price is the cheapest, after that event it goes up by $5, then continues to get pricier as the race date gets closer. I plan to register at that expo for my first GRM. Then I will HAVE to keep training hard all Summer and early Fall.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Woohoo Sara! You go girl! I'll be registering for my first marathon soon as well in Toledo, OH on April 13, 2008. I'll have to look into this Team in Training thing. Is it a national program? I will be running my first marathon in honor of my 36 year old cousin, Cassie, in San Antonio, TX who has severe cerebral paulsy and has never walked a step in her life. Congratulations! I share your excitement. Wink

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I am not daring enough to even sign up yet Big grin Best on your first one!

Vim

So...when's the race?!
                April 6. That sounds SO far away. Hopefully I won't chicken out before then. I'm not sure that training through the winter is the best idea, but we'll have to see. I've got a treadmill in basement, if all else fails.
                  April 6. That sounds SO far away. Hopefully I won't chicken out before then. I'm not sure that training through the winter is the best idea, but we'll have to see. I've got a treadmill in basement, if all else fails.
                  of course you wont chicken out! you've signed up and you've told us about it - you've got no choice now Big grin you'll be just fine i'm sure with your winter training. i always think winter is better for marathon training than summer (too hot and with the added complications of dehydration)
                    Congrats on signing up! You will do fine and April 6th will show up before you know it! Good luck!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?