most marathoners run 30 miles due to bad vision and uncontrollable swaying (Read 1134 times)

I got to thinking (albeit not too hard) about this - RunningBehind mentioned it in the 'technical' forums and I didn't think that was the place to pursue it. I realize this is in reference to another nuclear thread that has since been banished to the netheregions of runningahead. So if we ASSUME that most marathoners run 30 miles due to bad vision and uncontrollable swaying, is there a problem with this? I mean yes, we're not actually running the 26.2 miles, but its not like we're going to tank and crash because of a magic extra 4 miles on race day. By this logic, it would mean that our "20 miles training runs" were probably actually 23 miles or so. Therefore proportionally, even if we do run the equivalent of 30 miles it doesn't matter because we're trained for it. just a non-thought. I'm still trying to master walking 9.0mph on the treadmill but I inevitably end up running. If I think like the ostrich, want to be an ostrich, and emulate the ostrich, maybe i'll be able to do this... someday... someday...

Why is it sideways?

I think that it's best to take everything you read in the 'technical forums' with more than just a grain of salt.

A Saucy Wench

I think that it's best to take everything you read in the 'technical forums' with more than just a grain of salt.
        Ostrich is good with salt

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ostrich is good with salt
          ... maybe that's the missing link... i need more electrolytes. In conclusion: Emulating an Ostrich + salt (preferably GU) = ability to walk 9.0mph on a treadmill
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ostrich fillet with plum sauce is good, too.
              I got to thinking (albeit not too hard) about this - RunningBehind mentioned it in the 'technical' forums and I didn't think that was the place to pursue it. I realize this is in reference to another nuclear thread that has since been banished to the netheregions of runningahead. So if we ASSUME that most marathoners run 30 miles due to bad vision and uncontrollable swaying, is there a problem with this? I mean yes, we're not actually running the 26.2 miles, but its not like we're going to tank and crash because of a magic extra 4 miles on race day. By this logic, it would mean that our "20 miles training runs" were probably actually 23 miles or so. Therefore proportionally, even if we do run the equivalent of 30 miles it doesn't matter because we're trained for it. just a non-thought. I'm still trying to master walking 9.0mph on the treadmill but I inevitably end up running. If I think like the ostrich, want to be an ostrich, and emulate the ostrich, maybe i'll be able to do this... someday... someday...
              But "Improving your ability to run straighter means that you can run faster by time (efficiency), without having to run physically faster." (4th page of Gospel of sport jester, Post 9, Verse 19) You are getting there, the next step is that you must become the ostrich. In case anyone missed out, here is the original thread where this discovery, no, revelation in physiology first blessed us: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/a8781e4948dd44f4a6dc96c4112583ec Have fun. The meltdown is about halfway through page 4, but if you don't read the whole thing, you're being robbed.
              For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
              JimR

So if I'm in a race and stuck behind someone, but veering around them would increase my 'shortest distance to finish line', I'm better to stay behind them because it's shorter, more effiecient and therefore I will finish in less time.

#artbydmcbride

So if I'm in a race and stuck behind someone, but veering around them would increase my 'shortest distance to finish line', I'm better to stay behind them because it's shorter, more effiecient and therefore I will finish in less time.
                  yes, unless their hips are doing an uncontrollable swaying, in which case you may end up hypnotized.

Runners run

xor

I don't mind running behind the women with the swaying hips.

DoppleBock

There's a technical forum?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

by "technical forum" maybe it was meant 50 pages of gibberish on that one post.

xor

No, actually, I think that the original poster meant the Technical Support forum down in the admin section. However, RB's post wasn't in there. It's actually in Suggestions, at the end of this: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/78cc2c183a7a44d38c4b80ab538e35d4#focus I know, I know. Why did I spend time figuring that out?

JimR

yes, unless their hips are doing an uncontrollable swaying, in which case you may end up hypnotized.
                            that explains my pants, then!
                              It appears you could just stick to running your perfect tangents and since we all bob and weave like drunk pigs you could just pass us as we meander about the course.

#artbydmcbride

that explains my pants, then!
                                wardrobe choices can be critical!

Runners run