Better 10K or 1/2M? (Read 1006 times)

i ran a horrible 10K last weekend. I was almots 5 mins slower than I wanted to be. Dead My goal for this year was to finish a 1/2M this fall with a decent 10K at the beginning of the season. I'm starting to rethink my goals. If it were you would you go for the 1/2 or really buckle down and improve the 10K? I'm leaning towards the improving my speed. I think that would show a greater improvement than the extra distance. Of course I would need to increase my stamina to increase the speed.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

I'm still trying to figure this out too, but I ran my 10k PR while training for a half marathon. I'm contemplating doing half marathon training this year and running a few 5ks and 10ks to see what happens.
        I would focus on adding more distance. I didn't see a run anywhere in your log ( this year ) that was 6.2 miles or longer... from you times on you training runs it looks like you might be "racing" all your training... Perhaps slowing down... running more often and a bit longer would improve your 10k. My advice is run slower... longer... more often... run fast once a week.... ... to give good advice I think folks will want to know what you are seeking to improve... by improvement what do you mean? if you are just looking to improve your 10k time... then focusing on endurance will probably help you more (looking at your log) in my opinion than speed...
        JakeKnight

Jsobo119 nails it. And its the same answer to almost every question. Run more. Run more often. Run easy. Then race whatever you want. Whether its a half or a 10k doesn't much matter. If you run more, and more consistently, your times will drop dramatically at both distances. If I were you, I'd have just one goal: six straight consecutive months of minimum 100 mile months. Consistency and patience is the answer to every training question. The races just prove you're doing it right.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Thanks guys. I was thinking along those lines. I don't think I race my runs. The first half of the race this weekend I was running at 8 min pace which is faster than my normal runs but I couldn't hold it after and really slowed down. My weekly goal for now is 20 miles. Hopefully that will halp with the endurance.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

I would say you need to slow your easy runs... and long runs down to 10 min miles... or even just a bit slower... like 10:30's... get a schedule going sometime like 3,6,3,8 = 20 and run it all easy... for me at least... adding miles while doing speed work just is a recipe for injury... when you can handle that routine.. then you can add a fith day or speed workouts... Just my opinion...
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Run more. Run more often. Run easy. Then race whatever you want. Whether its a half or a 10k doesn't much matter. If you run more, and more consistently, your times will drop dramatically at both distances. If I were you, I'd have just one goal: six straight consecutive months of minimum 100 mile months. Consistency and patience is the answer to every training question. The races just prove you're doing it right.
                That's good to hear - maybe I have a chance! Two months in a row over 100 miles, and my HM isn't until September. I've increased very gradually and am running 5 or 6 days a week. I'm up to 9.6 miles non-stop. Sometimes I still can't believe it! Smile
                  Thanks guys. I was thinking along those lines. I don't think I race my runs. The first half of the race this weekend I was running at 8 min pace which is faster than my normal runs but I couldn't hold it after and really slowed down. My weekly goal for now is 20 miles. Hopefully that will halp with the endurance.
                  Well, your tempo, easy, and long runs are all about the same speed, and most of all of them are faster than your 10K race. All three of those should be the same speed or slower than your 10K race time, the tempo just a little slower, easy and long at least 1 min/km / 1:30 /mile slower. Running slower, you'll be able to go further and run more often. And that's what'll make you improve. Good Luck!
                  JakeKnight

I would say you need to slow your easy runs... and long runs down to 10 min miles... or even just a bit slower... like 10:30's... get a schedule going sometime like
                    That's what I'd do. Easy runs easy (easier than you think you should), hard runs hard. If there's one mistake that's the most common, its not running the easy miles easy enough.

JakeKnight

That's good to hear - maybe I have a chance! Two months in a row over 100 miles, and my HM isn't until September. I've increased very gradually and am running 5 or 6 days a week. I'm up to 9.6 miles non-stop. Sometimes I still can't believe it! Smile
                      /quick high-jack Your training looks awesome. Truly awesome. What's your goal? If you can keep that up all summer, you're going to rock your race. You could finish one tomorrow. You're going to do a lot better than just finish.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

/quick high-jack Your training looks awesome. Truly awesome. What's your goal? If you can keep that up all summer, you're going to rock your race. You could finish one tomorrow. You're going to do a lot better than just finish.
                        Oh, my gosh, I don't know, Jake. I'm like the little kid among giants. I'm still so slow! I feel good about what I'm doing until I enter a race and find myself way at the back! I know I have to get over that feeling. I've really been dedicated to running since early December (9 miles a week or so before then), so I think I will just keep on plugging and pick a goal after my 10k at the beginning of August. I will be asking more questions then. Thanks for your opinion. It means a lot to me! Cool MTA: As many others have mentioned, I wouldn't be doing this without the advice and support on RA.

The Greatest of All Time

I think I will just keep on plugging and pick a goal after my 10k at the beginning of August.
                          <2:20 i bet. i="" bet.=""></2:20 i bet. >
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          JakeKnight

Oh, my gosh, I don't know, Jake. I'm like the little kid among giants. I'm still so slow! I feel good about what I'm doing until I enter a race and find myself way at the back!
                            What HM are you doing? Unless its a small one full of fast people, you wouldn't be at the back of the pack if you did it tomorrow. If its a big one, come September you won't be within miles (literally) of the back of the pack. I'll even guarantee right now: if you keep your training like it is, you won't be in the bottom half. Great idea to do an August 10k and then set a goal ... and to check in here. If you feel up to it, maybe a few weeks of faster work before the goal HM would give you that last sharpening of the blade, although its probably not really necessary. I just scribbled a time at the bottom of the September page of my calendar next to your name. I won't jinx you by telling you, but it'll be fun to see how close you come.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It's the Maine Coast Half Marathon in York, Maine on September 21. Last year was the inaugural race, and the people I talked to really liked it. A little hilly. About 800 runners finished. http://www.locorunning.com/mainecoasthalf.php It's all women, except for one man who gets in by lottery - you RA guys should try for it! Thanks for the encouragement - it will be interesting to see how close your estimate is! Teresa

A Saucy Wench

i ran a horrible 10K last weekend. I was almots 5 mins slower than I wanted to be. Dead My goal for this year was to finish a 1/2M this fall with a decent 10K at the beginning of the season. I'm starting to rethink my goals. If it were you would you go for the 1/2 or really buckle down and improve the 10K? I'm leaning towards the improving my speed. I think that would show a greater improvement than the extra distance. Of course I would need to increase my stamina to increase the speed.
                                you will increase your speed FAR more by increasing your long slow distance than you will with speed work. Sloooow. In 2 months I took 3 minutes off my 10K with virtually no fast running.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7