The Fat Trap (Read 1338 times)

Why is it sideways?

I thought this was an interesting article about weight loss--particularly the difficulty in keeping weight off for certain people as well as the variation among people in terms of the propensity to obesity.

The Fat Trap

Best Present Ever

It's linked in the 'proved this long thread' but seems it's too long to read.

Why is it sideways?

It's linked in the 'proved this long thread' but seems it's too long to read.

Ah, didn't see that. It's about a 15 minute read...not so long. It certainly speaks to some of the issues on that thread. Probably people stopped reading because it clashed to some degree with their intuitions. It's the most emailed article on nytimes.com.

Feeling the growl again

Ah, didn't see that. It's about a 15 minute read...not so long. It certainly speaks to some of the issues on that thread. Probably people stopped reading because it clashed to some degree with their intuitions. It's the most emailed article on nytimes.com.

Yup, you're the only person on this site open-minded enough to sit down and read a 15-minute article.  During the holiday season.  You figured us out. 

If others don't feel like reading the same things as you, it must be because you are intellectually superior.  Excellent deduction. Roll eyes

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Turbolegs

Relax guys. Happy New Year 2012.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

xor

It never saw it linked in that thread because that thread is a motherfucker, and not in a fun way.

Thanks for the link. (I'm being sincere)

Everyone have a happy and safe NYE.

Yup, you're the only person on this site open-minded enough to sit down and read a 15-minute article.  During the holiday season.  You figured us out. 

If others don't feel like reading the same things as you, it must be because you are intellectually superior.  Excellent deduction. Roll eyes

Why is it sideways?

I was reading the New York Times this morning and wanted to share the article because it seemed to resonate with a lot of other discussions that have been had at RA. Seriously I did not even read the other thread (I scanned it after mamofthree's comment) and don't know what's going on there, and I don't know why spaniel is mad. No harm meant.

Scout7

Maybe we just all need to smoke more pot.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Maybe we just all need to smoke more pot.

A.M. or P.M.? 

In any case, I'm not a physiologist, but I don't think getting high is how one escapes from a fat trap. 

Scout7

A.M. or P.M.? 

In any case, I'm not a physiologist, but I don't think getting high is how one escapes from a fat trap. 

If you're high enough, you probably won't care how fat (or not) you are.

A Saucy Wench

A.M. or P.M.? 

No

Not that I would know.

MTA - this isnt really the first time this has come up in different scenarios.  Not all involving a drastic 500 cal diet.  There are many bariatric doctors who flat out tell their (NON surgical) patients who succeed at losing weight by ANY method that they will have a significantly lower metabolism than someone of the same age, weight and size who had never been obese.    Whether it is based on research or just anecdotal is always a bit hazy because rarely do studies continue in a controlled environment long enough.   And it usually results in circular arguments.   Are they gaining weight because they are eating more?  Are they eating more because there is a biological drive to eat more (ghrelin) or because they never had a good plan for maintenance and reverted back to eating what got them fat in the first place.  etc.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

If you're high enough, you probably won't care how fat (or not) you are.

I always felt beer or pot goggles were more effective on the other person than on the self.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

"pot goggles".  Heh.

+15 for Ravenclaw

Scout7

I always felt beer or pot goggles were more effective on the other person than on the self.

Self-delusion can be had regardless.  It just takes a desire to ignore reality.