Weight and speed / performance (Read 508 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Does anyone know if data exists that compares weight with running performance. For example, for every 1 lb decrease in weight, on average people can decrease pace by X secs/mile OR heart rate will decrease with the same level of effort, etc. really curious when you hit diminishing returns - I run a good deal but am still not at an optimum weight likely due to dietary choices (another discussion). Thanks!

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
      I saved this link when we had a discussion about this a while ago. MTA: A RW article mentioned that it was like 2 sec/mile per pound. Your mileage may vary.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Slow-smooth-fast

I read in Runners World that for every 1 lb of weight that you lose you gain 2 seconds every mile in a race. For eg. Let's say that you currently weigh 192lbs (this is me by the way) and you have recently run a 4 mile race in 24:56 then x weeks later you have lost 14 lbs in weight: this would decrease each mile split by 2x14=28secs. Therefore my expected 4 mile time would be: 23:04. This in turn would up my VO2max from 53 to 57ish. I have used this formula and it does work. You need to remember though that there is optimum race weight and that you dont want to lose muscle tissue, you need to lose it healthily and at a steady controlled rate. I am no role model of this as my weight is up and down like a brides nightie! Good luck.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009