high heart rate (Read 1043 times)

Hey all, After eight weeks away to let my calf heal, I'm back (and with a new Garmin 305! Woo hoo! My boyfriend is amazing. Smile). I've always known that my heart rate is higher than normal (the bf has nicknamed me "rabbit heart" because of it)...resting is usually in the 80s, and it's always been like this. I remember doing a heart-rate count in the seventh grade and it being the same way. Now, the funny thing is that I don't think I have horrible cardiovascular health. I've been involved in sports moderately all throughout my life, and I am accustomed to ballet, yoga, taking my dog for 15mm walks for an hour a day, do a good amount of cardio at the gym, etc. Here's my question - my heart rate tends to stay around 170-180 when I'm running at my "normal" (SLOW for most of you) pace. Is this dangerous? What say you all? - Lauren
    JakeKnight

I assume you've already discussed this with your physician? Perhaps a cardiologist, too? I know almost nothing about cardiac health. The one and only thing I do know is: I wouldn't be trusting Internet knuckleheads with questions like this one. No joke. I'm sure it's fine. But if I was wrong in that initial assumption up there ... I'd be running to the doctor to ask your question.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Have you ever tried to figure out what your max heart rate is? If it is close to 180, then that might be a problem. Also, when first doing LHR training, it is very difficult to keep your HR low-sometimes have to walk. For a while, my ego wouldn't let me do it as I'd be passed by little old ladies (literally). It takes a bit of slow slow running to get used to it. Congrats on the 305. I think it is my favorite gadget. edited to add: I agree with the idea about seeing your DR about this one. Also, I know you're not trying to do LHR training, but the same idea applies. When you first start using a HRM, it is surprising how high it reads at an 'easy' pace.
        pandajenn19

Ditto to what JK said. And, I am certainly not your doctor. But, I can say that I as a very active 29 year old regularly have my heart rate get in the 170+ range without feeling like I have overexerted myself. I have had readings on my HRM on several occassions of over 200 and have not been on death's door. I do not know what my max is, but I know it is somewhere over 205. I also have asthma, so I get a bit less oxygen to disburse on every pump, which I understand could have something to do with my high HR. But my doctor told me I was in perfect health the last time I saw him, and really, who doesn't like to hear they are perfect? Wink Point is, check with your doctor, but it is possible.
          spacityrunner

I also think you should check with your doc if this concerns you. FWIW: I have had my heart checked every which way from Sunday. All is good. I am a "slow" runner, generally in the 11-12 m/m range. For me that is 170-175 bpm. My max hr is 215. My resting is in the high 60's. I am now coming back from an injury and am maintaining a slow 13-14 m/m in the 160-165 bpm range. You bpm is like your fingerprint...it is different for everyone. Don't compare it with others.

Trails Rock!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Your walking HR is? Your resting HR is? Your first AM HR is?
                Your walking HR is? Your resting HR is? Your first AM HR is?
                I'll have to test this out tomorrow and let you know. Thanks all for the advice! I had mentioned it to my doctor a few years ago (before starting to run), and she didn't seem too concerned. But now that I'm running I should probably check again. I'll post my walking, resting, and morning when I take them tomorrow. Smile - Rabbit Girl
                  I just got a Garmin too for Christmas. I never monitored my HR before and was shocked as to how high my HR was at what I thought was a normal pace for me. Does anyone know how accurate the HRM is on the garmin?
                    I just got a Garmin too for Christmas. I never monitored my HR before and was shocked as to how high my HR was at what I thought was a normal pace for me. Does anyone know how accurate the HRM is on the garmin?
                    It's accurate enough. What is not accurate is the ranges that come set as the default and "adjust" when you add your personal data (like age). Find a good protocol for determining your max HR and use that. I thought mine was high too, until I listened to Scout (and others). I forget the details of the test that Scout prescribes, but I just ran the last 3/4 mile to a mile of every race as fast as I could - this had the benefit of me passing a bunch of people. After a few months and 5 or 6 races - it stopped going up. I'm using this as my maximum.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

According to the Garmin and other online calculations my MHR should be like 185 or so. When I did my run that felt "comfortable" I hit a max of 173. Should I be looking at Peak MHR or Average HR?
                      Scout7

It's accurate enough. What is not accurate is the ranges that come set as the default and "adjust" when you add your personal data (like age). Find a good protocol for determining your max HR and use that. I thought mine was high too, until I listened to Scout (and others). I forget the details of the test that Scout prescribes, but I just ran the last 3/4 mile to a mile of every race as fast as I could - this had the benefit of me passing a bunch of people. After a few months and 5 or 6 races - it stopped going up. I'm using this as my maximum.
                        http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/220.htm It's not max HR, it's Lactate Threshold. But you can use it to set training zones. http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/heartrate.htm
                          According to the Garmin and other online calculations my MHR should be like 185 or so. When I did my run that felt "comfortable" I hit a max of 173. Should I be looking at Peak MHR or Average HR?
                          If it felt comfortable, then it wasn't your max HR. It was just the highest your HR went on that run. Check out Scout's links.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Dave

It is also possible that you're not getting a really solid reading from the monitor. It should be fairly snug across your chest and you should wet the contacts before putting it on. If you HR seems high at the start of your run but settles down later, it might not be getting good contact until you work up a sweat. You can test this by pressing your hands on the contacts and watching the Garmin. If the HR immediately drops, you're not getting a good reading.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

ScheriN

Last year, when I got my 305, I freaked out! I thought my HR was way too high, so I printed off a bunch of graphs and took them into my DR. She said my HR is fine, it's just that it is a little higher than the graphs and/or calculations that are published based off averages. She did prescribe an inhaler for me though, because I have sports induced asthma. I agree with everyone else about going to see your DR. Don't worry too much about it no though. I know it can be a very stressful time, but if you've been active, it is most likely that you just have a higher HR. Good luck!
                                alright, so I took my HR while still in bed this morning, just after waking up. I felt a little anxious, though, so I think it might be higher because of that. But it was 80. I also wore it on my brisk morning walk with my dog (15 minute miles, 45 minutes) and it was around 125. Perhaps I just really need to slooooow my pace? Last night, the bf and I went to the YWCA together and I ran for 20 minutes on the track. It really made my lower legs sore (both my shins and the insides of my calves ached). Not sure if this was due to the track material or the slow pace. It seems easier on my legs when I run faster, but then my HR gets too high and I tire quickly. I followed it up with 15 minutes of swimming easy laps, then a quick dip in the hot tub. I think I'll use The Stick on my legs and rest for a day, then try an easy outdoor run. I AM using the automatic HR zones set by the Garmin, so perhaps I need to adjust those? I know the reading is accurate (the chest strap is tight, and I get the sensors wet before I put it on). Hmmm. Undecided Also, do you think I need inserts for my shoes? For the lower leg pain?