spin bike at home? recommendations? (Read 3515 times)

farm girl

Hi,  I'm considering investing in a spin bike to use at home for cross training.  Anyone have suggestionson on a brand, features, or maybe brands to avoid, etc?  I haven't looked into any of this yet, just thought I'd see what the RA folks had to say firstSmile  Thanks for any insight.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What is your budget?

I know nothing about specific spin bikes, but it looks like a decent gym-quality Schwinn unit would run $1-2k+.  For that money why not get a decent entry-level road bike and indoor trainer?  That would give you the option to ride outdoors, too.  Riding the "nowhere bike" is pretty miserable, especially if there is the option to be outdoors.  Only thing more miserable is running on a treadmill.  With a bike that can go outdoors you can always do high-cadence "spin" rides with real hills and fresh air and ever-changing scenery and use the trainer when there's snow and ice on the roads or during high winds.  You'd also have the option to do some multi-sport races, like duathlons and tris.  Spin bikes have always seemed so unnecessarily limiting.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

If you already have a bike, a Cyclops trainer is the best bet.  It's a small unit that attached to the rear wheel of you bike so you can turn your bike into a stationary bike.  A fly wheel makes contact with your rear wheel and provides resistance.  The resistance is caused by either hydrolic fluid (fluid trainers (more expensive but quieter and better road feel) or magnets (cheaper but loader).

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

MrH

We picked up a Lemond Revmaster bike from our gym when they were replacing theirs with the latest variants. We only paid a nominal amount for it (maybe $100) and it is rock solid and performs like new.

It seems that they don't suffer the same wear and tear as treadmills so that may be an option.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xor

It seems that they don't suffer the same wear and tear as treadmills so that may be an option.

While my real suggestion is to investigate the road bike/trainer combo, if you absolutely know that you won't ever ride outside, a spin bike has a similar advantage over a real bike to that described regarding treadmills.  Not nearly as many parts on a spin bike means less to futz with and fix.

The however to the however is that is/when it does break or get squeaky, you can't get magic help from any ol' bike shop.  (though some bike shops know these things... and, really, there's not much to them to know, so the mechanically inclined can perhaps figure out the issue.)

100 bucks... dang.  That is a sweet deal.

Elly.

What is your budget?

I know nothing about specific spin bikes, but it looks like a decent gym-quality Schwinn unit would run $1-2k+.  For that money why not get a decent entry-level road bike and indoor trainer?  That would give you the option to ride outdoors, too.  Riding the "nowhere bike" is pretty miserable, especially if there is the option to be outdoors.  Only thing more miserable is running on a treadmill.  With a bike that can go outdoors you can always do high-cadence "spin" rides with real hills and fresh air and ever-changing scenery and use the trainer when there's snow and ice on the roads or during high winds.  You'd also have the option to do some multi-sport races, like duathlons and tris.  Spin bikes have always seemed so unnecessarily limiting.

+1

Only thing I would add is getting some workout DVD's/tapes when it's snowing outside to add a little spice to the workout.  I have a Robby Ventura "Race Day" DVD that does a great job to getting my heart pumping and my blood flowing.  

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

+1

Only thing I would add is getting some workout DVD's/tapes when it's snowing outside to add a little spice to the workout.  I have a Robby Ventura "Race Day" DVD that does a great job to getting my heart pumping and my blood flowing.  

We have a few Spinervals DVDs with Coach Troy.  I am skeered to use them.  All the hardcore riders I know shudder when they talk about Coach Troy.  I've run out of excuses not to try a Spinerval workout, though.  I can't say that I am training for any running races as of this past Sunday and want to save my legs.  D'oh! Black eye  I've heard good things about the Robby Ventura DVDs.  I may have to give one of those a try, soon.  I do like watching movies or intense dramas while riding.  During chase scenes in movies I will do some out-of-the-saddle intervals until my legs and lungs can't take anymore.

~ Sarah Kay

I do like watching movies or intense dramas while riding.  During chase scenes in movies I will do some out-of-the-saddle intervals until my legs and lungs can't take anymore.

do you make your own sound effects too? Joking

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

do you make your own sound effects too? Joking

Yep...lots of whimpering and grunting and gasping and wheezing.  Some swears, too. Blush

~ Sarah Kay

I would love to have a spin bike.  I think it is better (for me) than my road bike on a trainer.  However, they are too expensive for the use I would make of it.  I'll just go to spin class. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

xhristopher

I've always done well with my Performance Bike brand fluid trainer and road bike. I've used a Kinetic and personally found it no better, just more spendy. I'd steer clear of magnetic resistance trainers. If you already have a bike a trainer more bang for your buck and easier storage. I've done spinning classes and enjoyed the stiffness of a good spin bike over the trainer so if you want to make that investment it's up to you but loads of serious cyclists do well with trainers.

I'm intrigued by Lemond's Revolution trainer

I've used Coach Troy's DVDs and feel they give a decent workout. He's a bit cheesy though.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm intrigued by Lemond's Revolution trainer

Less intrigued by the $500 price point, though.  And the hassle of removing the bike from the unit and replacing the wheel every time I want to ride outdoors.  And it's supposed to be really loud.  I do like that it takes up a bit less room and would be less of a danger to roaming cats, though.  If they came down in price I might consider one.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Less intrigued by the $500 price point, though.  And the hassle of removing the bike from the unit and replacing the wheel every time I want to ride outdoors.  And it's supposed to be really loud.  I do like that it takes up a bit less room and would be less of a danger to roaming cats, though.  If they came down in price I might consider one.

Yeah, 500 is a bit much for a trainer. I'm sure not getting one. For me, the value was with the Performance trainer. The wheel removal and noise doesn't bug me, especially if it would give me a better "road" feel. I hadn't considered it but the cat safety thing would be a plus. Fortunately my trainer scares the crap out of my cat.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hadn't considered it but the cat safety thing would be a plus. Fortunately my trainer scares the crap out of my cat.

Ours are surprisingly not all that phased by our trainers.  Mostly because they are stupid.  We have had to do some sudden rear wheel braking in the past.  Now they are more afraid of getting yelled at than sliced-n-diced, so that keeps them out of the room more than anything.

~ Sarah Kay

Elly.

We have a few Spinervals DVDs with Coach Troy.  I am skeered to use them.  All the hardcore riders I know shudder when they talk about Coach Troy.  I've run out of excuses not to try a Spinerval workout, though.  I can't say that I am training for any running races as of this past Sunday and want to save my legs.  D'oh! Black eye  I've heard good things about the Robby Ventura DVDs.  I may have to give one of those a try, soon.  I do like watching movies or intense dramas while riding.  During chase scenes in movies I will do some out-of-the-saddle intervals until my legs and lungs can't take anymore.

Well.......... I have Coach Troy, too.  If your hardcore friends shudder at them, than it's because they are pretty bland.  B-O-R-I-N-G.  Also, don't forget that that your don't HAVE to go as hard.  It's pretty individual.  Robby's are more intense ... but again, you get to choose how hard you make it, or use the big ring or the little ring. 

HStreet .... you go at my pace.  You can handle it easily. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/