Post race beers (Read 830 times)

Crazy Train

I tried three new beers this weekend and they were all really excellent. I recommend all of them: 1. Bells Batch 8000 Ale - an imperial belgian wit... very yummy!! 2. Dogfishhead 90 miniute imperial IPA... also excellent! and 3. Schneider & Brooklyner hopfen weiss.. .a hoppy weiss beer (it doesn't get better than that!! Smile ) created jointly by Schneider and Brooklyn Breweries. The first two were especially higher in alcohol content - both came in at 9%, with the Schneider & Brooklyner coming in just under 8% I think.... things were getting foggy by the end of the third beer!! Big grin Has anyone else tried any of these?? Any other recommendations?

Runnin' from the law.

If post-race beers are your thing, you should really think about running the Boilermaker in Utica, NY. The 15K race (draws between 10-15 thousand runners) ends at the Saranac brewery and they have about 250 kegs for the runners. Talk about foggy ...
      Scout7

Victory's Golden Monkey is quite nice.
        tanstaafl

Endorphin Addict

Guinness. Or something thick.
          Two bikes, Two Legs, Two Feet...
          half mile

i really enjoy Honey Weiss from Leinenkugels
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i really enjoy Honey Weiss from Leinenkugels
              With a lemon wedge, right?! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Standing firm on this one: MILLER LITE. Sorry, there's a saying "can't teach an old dog new tricks..." *reaches for cane* I still like my Miller Lite. Big grin

Michelle

tanstaafl

Endorphin Addict

Standing firm on this one: MILLER LITE. Sorry, there's a saying "can't teach an old dog new tricks..." *reaches for cane* I still like my Miller Lite. Big grin
                  Hmmmm. Interesting handle... I'm not FROM there, but I lived in MS for 7 years, but moved out to California in April of this year.
                  Two bikes, Two Legs, Two Feet...

I don't really like rice beers that much. There are so many good craft brews where I live that I always have a good choice of something that I will actually like, which is very important since I haven't had time to brew for the last couple of years. At first, we stopped brewing because we didn't know when we'd find a house and how quickly we'd need to move, and we didn't want to transfer a batch of wort and ruin it. Then after we moved, we made up 6 cases of beer and 2 cases of root beer for our wedding, and haven't brewed since. Just been too busy.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I don't really like rice beers that much. There are so many good craft brews where I live that I always have a good choice of something that I will actually like, which is very important since I haven't had time to brew for the last couple of years. At first, we stopped brewing because we didn't know when we'd find a house and how quickly we'd need to move, and we didn't want to transfer a batch of wort and ruin it. Then after we moved, we made up 6 cases of beer and 2 cases of root beer for our wedding, and haven't brewed since. Just been too busy.
                      There's rice in my beer? Tongue I've tried ales, and micro-brews but so far nothing has really gotten me to change. Making root beer would be fun. The kids would love that. Smile

Michelle

Diego

Tried the Monkey for the first time tonight, Scout. Quite Tasty!!
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heh. He said Monkey. Heh. I posted this elsewhere, but here is what I have been working through for a little of post race beer at a coming marathon I am putting together... Okay. Beer at monkey. Having a child is easier. Sheesh. Here is what I have been working through since July just to have one stinkin' keg after the marathon all because it is on public property... Steps to getting beer as a recovery drink, performed in parallel Step 1. Decide on a beer - why not a local brew? Step 1a. Contact local brewery Step 1b. Contact the brewery again when they don't respond Step 1c. Contact brewery again, assure them that monkey is serious Step 1d. Can't do a special batch of beer, brewery offers a keg at the event Step 1e. Contact brewery again to get final confirmation of 1d. Step 1f. Go to brewery, drink a beer, talk with brewer to confirm Step 1g. Try to contact again for final confirmation Step 1h. Contact another beer distributor to be on backup, thereby hurting their feelings for not calling first Step 2. Get buy in from race management organization Step 3. Get metro parks government to approve Step 3a. Ask metro parks if it can be done Step 3b. Review the metro parks' extensive policy manual Step 3c. Put on suit and present formally to the park board at a scheduled meeting Step 3d. Proposal tabled for fact finding Step 3e. Find facts, work with park staff, find appropriate location Step 3f. Generate 18 page formal proposal for park board to include assurances and site plan Step 3g. Again don suit to present formally to the park board at next scheduled meeting Step 3h. Receive letter of support from metro parks board Step 4. Obtain special events license from metro beer board Step 4a. Call beer board to determine what I will need: - application must be picked up in person (no email or fax) - name, social security number, DOB, citizenship, gender, place of birth, address, phone for all board officers managing event - letter of support from park - letter of support from metro Health Department - copy of nonprofit certificate - $250 cash or cashier's check only, NOT refundable - Assurances that this is all I would need, to be dropped (in person) off no later than thursday October 24 for review November 8 Step 4b. Collect nonprofit form and letter of support from metro parks and health department, detailed personal info on board officers Step 4c. Complete application WITH beer board staff on phone to make sure that it was filled out correctly Step 4d. Go to bank to get cash, go inside bank when ATM would not give me the money Step 4e. Arrive at beer board office on my way to airport out of town the day before application was due, only to find that they were closing an hour early (giving me ~30 minutes) Step 4f. Blanch as beer board staff member reviewing application (which I filled out under their guidance) says, "we have a problem". Step 4g. Try to figure out if the event was "owned" by the local nonprofit managing the race (in which case they fill out the form rather than me) or by the RD (me, in which case I fill out the form, as I did, but they don't give special event licenses to individuals). Step 4h. Explain to staff member that it is co-owned and that I should be able to fill out the form, and that there is NO way the management organization could fill it out in the subsequent 24 hours by the deadline, come downtown, drop the cash while I was out of town Step 4i. Thank every diety that exists that when I called the organization's president he was actually at home to type in and fax a letter on their letterhead granting me permission to fill out the form, at the beer board staff member's suggestion Step 4j. Change application to include the fact that I co-own the event Step 4k. Receive from beer board staff member list of additional documents that I will need, despite having previously been told the exhaustive list of what I would need. Step 4l. Contact Metro Park Police to arrange security and arrange for them to write the letter that I now needed. Step 4m. Pick up letter from Park Police and fax it in Step 4n. Call inspector for a site inspection so he can write the letter that I now needed. Step 4o. Call inspector back until I finally reach him, arrange to meet at park with site plan Step 4p. Meet inspector at park. Wait 40 minutes for him to arrive after scheduled time. Step 4q. Show site to inspector, discuss every last detail about service, setup, age confirmation, participant control, Metro Nashville's laws on beer sales (even thought the beer was not being "sold" since it comes with registration) Step 4r. Assure inspector that beer will not be served, as per law, until noon on race Sunday (5 hours after race start) Step 4s. Call metro beer board to make sure all the papers were in order... Step 5. Cross fingers... total additional cost for one stinkin keg of beer: $250 for license application $200 for park police requirement $120 for keg (if local brewery does not come through) total time spent for one stinkin keg of beer: ~25-40 hours of my time Sheesh. It'd better be good beer!

There's rice in my beer? Tongue
                            Most of the macrobrewery pilsners (amongst other beers that they make) are 30-60% rice rather than barleys. You get the same sorts of sugars, but I'm not a huge fan of the taste. In Germany, it would be illegal to brew Budweiser or Miller Lite.

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I dunno about "most". I would think that "most" microbreweries care about their product and tradition, wanting it to be fairly authentic. It is the macrobrewers that use rice and corn.
                                Sheesh. It'd better be good beer!
                                HOLY COW, TRENT! That isn't a beer license, that's a freaking trial by fire or maybe even a running of a gauntlet. I admire your perseverance for the cause. With the amount of work you put into that I'm going to guess that the occasional kegs I see at races are figuratively "under the table" as well as literally. I'm definitely going to appreciate a cold one at future races even more so knowing what goes into making it happen.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?