Runner dies taking ibuprofen + supplements (Read 656 times)

Joann Y

I realize you were trying to be funny, but even if P=NP meant P=N*P you would be wrong.  If P=1 and N != 1 then your statement is false.

The P = NP doesn't mean that.  It refers to deterministic algorithms vs non deterministic  algorithms.

+1

DaBurger

I realize you were trying to be funny, but even if P=NP meant P=N*P you would be wrong.  If P=1 and N != 1 then your statement is false.

The P = NP doesn't mean that.  It refers to deterministic algorithms vs non deterministic  algorithms.

why so serious?

and way to explain the joke, now it's not funny...

Know thyself.

Feeling the growl again

I disagree with the above statement. While I do not have a Dr. before my name, all drugs are chemicals (naturally derived or man made) designed to manage a "problem." The liver, kidneys, and other organs did not evolve along side these modern drugs. While drugs may be needed or beneficial to manage medical issues, they all also have side effects and most of them will cause added stress on body systems. We get enough chemicals in our body through breathing (air pollution) and eating (pesticides, fertilizers, etc.) that adding more chemicals that are not necessary, just isn't prudent. Sure, they may make us feel better, but in general, all drugs should be avoided unless you are under a doctor's supervision and you have a chronic medical condition that requires such use.

Doctors over subscribe. Kid misbehaves, put 'em on Ritalin. Got a pain, take two of these and let me know. Doctors are frequently clueless as to what is wrong as the body is one complicated thing. Sometimes the answer is it hurts because the body is under stress and it is supposed to hurt.

If you need something for chronic pain, then by all means take it. But if you are just uncomfortable because you are working out, I suggest a cold bath followed by elevation of the legs and rest. Give your liver and kidneys a break until you REALLY need medication.

The above is just my non-professional non-doctor opinion only. Take it with grain of salt-substitute.

So you should avoid ALL drugs unless under a doctor's supervision, yet then you blame doctors for over-prescribing?  So how do you know you are any better off under their care then?

Yup, we are exposed to a lot of chemicals.   Some are nasty.  But there is no scientific rationale to connect exposure between unrelated chemicals and somehow speculate that it all builds towards some common, cumulative  harmful exposure.  No such thing exists, chemicals affect different systems. Nor is it correct to assume that synthetic chemicals are necessarily worse than natural ones -- I hear ricin and botulism toxin are natural but not particularly nice to the body.  St. John's Wort supplements have all sorts of potential medical implications yet people seem to think they are safe because they are "natural".

This thread is entertaining if for no other reason than the wildly overly wrought and scientifically unsupported positions to both sides of the spectrum.

My non-medical but former biochemistry professional opinion only.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

P is natural, and good. Go toward it.

NP is a nasty synthetic human-invented bad thing. Avoid it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

P is natural, and good. Go toward it.

NP is a nasty synthetic human-invented bad thing. Avoid it.

Water is natural and good.  But if I drink too much I get hyponautremia.

What if I suck on the H20 artificially produced out of the exhaust of my hydrogen-powered car until I get hyponautremia?  Is it worse because the water was produced my artificial chemical reaction?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

No Talent Drips

Well, duh.

I am reminded of Morgan Freeman's narration in Shawshank Redemption...some shit is just so obvious that it doesn't need to be explained.

Dei Gratia

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I never suggested that natural is all good. Heroin is natural but generally not considered good for you. there is plenty of scientific rational that loading up your body with lots of chemicals can (as in may or may not) be bad for you. Many die or have complications from reactions between medications. I'm not saying never take medications. You are putting words in my mouth. I'm suggesting that modern humans overdo it when it comes to medicine. We have hormones and antibiotics in our food and many rush to the doctor for antibiotics after every little sniffle. There is plenty of research backing that up. I'm not overwrought in the least and I've taken my share of too much ibuprofen. Medications do a lot of great things for those that need them. But we ARE an over medicated society.

So you should avoid ALL drugs unless under a doctor's supervision, yet then you blame doctors for over-prescribing?  So how do you know you are any better off under their care then?

Yup, we are exposed to a lot of chemicals.   Some are nasty.  But there is no scientific rationale to connect exposure between unrelated chemicals and somehow speculate that it all builds towards some common, cumulative  harmful exposure.  No such thing exists, chemicals affect different systems. Nor is it correct to assume that synthetic chemicals are necessarily worse than natural ones -- I hear ricin and botulism toxin are natural but not particularly nice to the body.  St. John's Wort supplements have all sorts of potential medical implications yet people seem to think they are safe because they are "natural".

This thread is entertaining if for no other reason than the wildly overly wrought and scientifically unsupported positions to both sides of the spectrum.

My non-medical but former biochemistry professional opinion only.  Smile

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Feeling the growl again

I never suggested that natural is all good. Heroin is natural but generally not considered good for you. there is plenty of scientific rational that loading up your body with lots of chemicals can (as in may or may not) be bad for you. Many die or have complications from reactions between medications. I'm not saying never take medications. You are putting words in my mouth. I'm suggesting that modern humans overdo it when it comes to medicine. We have hormones and antibiotics in our food and many rush to the doctor for antibiotics after every little sniffle. There is plenty of research backing that up. I'm not overwrought in the least and I've taken my share of too much ibuprofen. Medications do a lot of great things for those that need them. But we ARE an over medicated society.

I didn't put words in your mouth.  You are co-mingling the fact that we are exposed to various chemicals in our environment with the wisdom of taking medications.  These are entirely separate issues, unless you want to point out exactly which ones impact on the same biochemical pathways.  Furthermore, you suggest medications should only be taken under the advisement of a medical professional while also blaming them for over-medicating the population.

If docs are so quick to over-prescribe, but we shouldn't take OTC medication without their advisement, where does that leave us?  Damned if you do, damned if you don't, by your reasoning.

It leaves us with scientifically unsupported fear-mongering.  Of which, despite Trent's well-intentioned and largely accurate input, there is far too much of in this thread.

(And note, overall I'm not disagreeing that overall we are over-medicated).

Are all NSAID's alike?

Could you replace "Naproxen" (and anything with that family of prescriptions) anytime you see "Ibuprofen" within this thread?

(I don't believe that's been mentioned within this thread)

What about the other 20+ "NSAID" prescriptions?

Naproxen

Naprosyn, Anaprox, Anaprox DS, Prevacid NapraPAC (Prevacid copackaged with Naprosyn),Vimovo (combined with esomeprazole)

FWIW, I asked my son what he takes for his joint issues, and it's 1 of those listed within the table above (within the Naproxen family).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I hope the overalls don't cancel each other out. Overalls are cool!

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Still putting words in my mouth.

i do not think medications should only be taken under a doctors care.

i do not think all doctors oversubscrib.

i do not think that over medication is ALL the fault of doctors.

i do think that drug companies ad campaigns contribute to an over medicated society.

i do not think that people should always avoid OTC or prescribed medications.

i do think humans in general, should be more prudent in the use of the wonderful drugs you biochemistry types come up with.

i do think you are in need of a martini about now.

I didn't put words in your mouth.  You are co-mingling the fact that we are exposed to various chemicals in our environment with the wisdom of taking medications.  These are entirely separate issues, unless you want to point out exactly which ones impact on the same biochemical pathways.  Furthermore, you suggest medications should only be taken under the advisement of a medical professional while also blaming them for over-medicating the population.

If docs are so quick to over-prescribe, but we shouldn't take OTC medication without their advisement, where does that leave us?  Damned if you do, damned if you don't, by your reasoning.

It leaves us with scientifically unsupported fear-mongering.  Of which, despite Trent's well-intentioned and largely accurate input, there is far too much of in this thread.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Feeling the growl again

. We get enough chemicals in our body through breathing (air pollution) and eating (pesticides, fertilizers, etc.) that adding more chemicals that are not necessary, just isn't prudent. Sure, they may make us feel better, but in general, all drugs should be avoided unless you are under a doctor's supervision and you have a chronic medical condition that requires such use.

Doctors over subscribe. Kid misbehaves, put 'em on Ritalin. Got a pain, take two of these and let me know. Doctors are frequently clueless as to what is wrong as the body is one complicated thing. Sometimes the answer is it hurts because the body is under stress and it is supposed to hurt.

Then perhaps you should re-address the wording of your post.

By your logic, any use of NSAIDS for acute pain is prohibited.

You did clearly state that all drugs should be avoided except under a doctor's care.  Not only that, but that the condition be chronic.

And thank you, I would love a martini right now but in the vicinity of this wonderful medical conference I must be content with average-quality beer.  Sad

MTA:  I do agree people should be more informed and discriminating on what they put in their bodies.  I just prefer it be based on actual scientific information and risk/benefit analysis.

xhristopher

I'm not really paying attention to this thread but would like to point out that if you are taking ibuprofen you are doing it wrong.

It's all about beer! This is old news. Folks have been rehydrating correctly with beer for ages so...

Drop the Ibuprofen, Grab a Cold One: http://news.menshealth.com/drop-the-ibuprofen-grab-a-cold-one/2011/06/16/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I only subscribe to a couple magazines. Why do you keep accusing me of over subscribing?

and in all seriousness, heroin is the non-natural, manufactured opiate, whereas opium is the more natural formulation. And it is correct that really any NSAID has the same risk as ibuprofen.

Feeling the growl again

I'm not really paying attention to this thread but would like to point out that if you are taking ibuprofen you are doing it wrong.

It's all about beer! This is old news. Folks have been rehydrating correctly with beer for ages so...

Drop the Ibuprofen, Grab a Cold One: http://news.menshealth.com/drop-the-ibuprofen-grab-a-cold-one/2011/06/16/

I have been following that protocol.  The 20lbs I am now trying to lose disagrees with your hypothesis.