WOW - Man charged with trying to run down jogger (Read 1232 times)

A true lawyer would have written "because" not "cuz". In any event, it was a joke. I was recently "assaulted" as a runner (assault, if I remember torts class, being a credible threat of imminent physical harm). Thought it was unusual as I have been running the better part of the last 5-6 yrs w/o incident. However, in my last town (Boxford ma), we ( meaning me and the other parents of 6-14 year old children that I interacted with) called cyclists "bike nazis" as we were inundated with serious recreational cyclists from all over eastern ma who used our "bucolic" country roads as their training grounds and who often ignored the rules of the road,e.g., ride in single file. I can't count the times I was forced to move way over the center line while shuttling my kids to and from sporting and other events to avoid pairs or large groups of cyclists disobeying basic road courtesy. Can't say that has ever happens with runners.

You mean you had to use the other lane to safely pass cyclists as if they were just another vehicle on the road? Shocking.

The law is single file. Narrow twisty country roads do not really allow any other option. Not a lot of Amish wagons in Boxford. Farm vehicles, yeah, they are a pain but a lot less common than cyclists and they are doing what they do not riding two abreast or in pack. Also they do not give you the finger when you honk at them to try and get them in line before you approach the next blind corner, etc. The point, if there is one, was that I jokingly said cyclists deserve whatever happened in the original post, this being a running site after all.... And that, In my personal experience, cyclists have a tendency to be a-holes much more than runners do. I could go on, including commenting on the oh so hip and belly hugging and pleasing spandex attire that cyclists like to wear to impress us with their physiques, but I'll hold off on that for now.
        The law is single file. Narrow twisty country roads do not really allow any other option. Not a lot of Amish wagons in Boxford. Farm vehicles, yeah, they are a pain but a lot less common than cyclists and they are doing what they do not riding two abreast or in pack. Also they do not give you the finger when you honk at them to try and get them in line before you approach the next blind corner, etc. The point, if there is one, was that I jokingly said cyclists deserve whatever happened in the original post, this being a running site after all.... And that, In my personal experience, cyclists have a tendency to be a-holes much more than runners do. I could go on, including commenting on the oh so hip and belly hugging and pleasing spandex attire that cyclists like to wear to impress us with their physiques, but I'll hold off on that for now.

Your view of cyclists is nothing short of ignorant.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, all the stereotypes about attorneys are true!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Julia1971

The point, if there is one, was that I jokingly said cyclists deserve whatever happened in the original post, this being a running site after all.... And that, In my personal experience, cyclists have a tendency to be a-holes much more than runners do. 

I know you're joking.  And, until a few years ago, cyclist kind bugged me, too.  I run on multi-use trails and felt a lot of cyclist went way too fast considering the congestion.  But over time, I've come to realize cyclists and runners really should be comrades in arms.  We share a lot of the same objectives when it comes to access to public roads/trails and safety.  In fact, one of my favorite websites to read is a cycling website because that's how I learn what's going on - on a political/urban planning level - with the trails in my area.  They're the ones advocating for better lighting, safety considerations, etc. and I know as a runner I benefit from them demanding these things.  So, I've made my peace with cyclists.

And, I don't know what the ratio is but runners can be pretty inconsiderate.  As much as I hate winter running, I love that it's just me and crazy cyclists most days and I don't have to deal with runners running 3 abreast, stopping abruptly for no apparent reason, and splitting without looking where their loogie (sp.) might land.

But, yeah, I got that you were joking.  Wink

Jaybar, While the law may very well say that cyclists have to ride single file, that may not always be the safest option, especially on twisty roads with blind curves. Imagine if you will you are cruising along in your car and you happen to approach a pair of cyclists riding single file. The way it sounds, your driving habits and general hatred for cyclists would cause you to cruise right on by without giving them a second thought. In your mind this is a perfect scenario since you didn't have to go out of your way to pass them but as far as the cyclist is concerned their safety was jeopardized because you probably didn't allow them enough road space to make maneuvers if needed. Now if the same cyclists were riding abreast it forces you to slow down to their speed and use the other lane for passing. In your mind this sucks because you are going to reach your destination 5 seconds later and you had to maneuver around them. I know when I am riding I will gladly take a ticket for breaking the law if the alternative is compromising my safety.

As far as the spandex comment, was that even serious? runners wear it too you know and it has nothing to do with "showing off their physique" as you so smugly describe it. 

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Wow, I totally didn't anticipate this post heading in this direction.....

TRUST THE PROCESS

Julia1971

Online forums are like a box of chocolate?

I thought the article was very scary.  I'm glad she reported him and the police did something.  He sounds troubled (the bad day, confessing but not completely).  Hope he gets some help.

(1) Bicyclists riding together shall not ride more than 2 abreast but, on a roadway with more than 1 lane in the direction of travel, bicyclists shall ride within a single lane. Nothing in this clause shall relieve a bicyclist of the duty to facilitate overtaking as required by section 2 of chapter 89.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter85/Section11b

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Really? A car driver tries to run down a jogger, and you didn't expect it to turn into an argument about bicyclists?

Joggers, cars, and bicyclists are all pretty related subjects, as compared to dinosaur DNA, for example Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

Really? A car driver tries to run down a jogger, and you didn't expect it to turn into an argument about bicyclists?

Joggers, cars, and bicyclists are all pretty related subjects, as compared to dinosaur DNA, for example Smile

We could have debated whether she was a "jogger"?  My girl dove into some bushes to evade this guy.  Jogger?  I'm thinking runner ninja.

Feeling the growl again

If the LAW in your state is single file than it is, but may I point out, even if it is single file you DO NOT really have room to pass them in the same lane without crossing the centerline...at least not with any safety margin.

I suggest you use some patience and slow down.  5 seconds is not worth a life.

The law in any state I've lived gives cyclists the same rights as any other vehicle...if you want to pass them you need to have room to use the other lane.  In fact, through experience I've gotten to the point that when I am approaching a stop sign or blind curve, I actually cut left and hug the centerline to PREVENT some idiot from passing me where they do not have room.  Otherwise, they are likely to fly by me with 6 inches to spare off my elbow, then lock up the brakes in front of me.  Have to tell you, 4 wheel ABS brakes stop a car a LOT quicker than two tiny road bike tires....I got tired of having to risk my life taking a gravel shoulder or ditch on a road bike due to some idiot car driver who was in an absolute hurry to get home 5 seconds earlier for absolutely no real reason.

Yes, if you honk your horn behind me when I'm obeying the law, you're likely to get a finger and no cooperation from me.  Smile

And heck, I'm not even a real cyclist....but that has more to due with my fear (driven by experience) of a-hole drivers than anything else.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Beastie: 1) you know nothing about my driving habits except that I drive with kids in back a lot; 2) not hatred, if anything, more like contempt; 3) MA general laws can be modified by local ordnance, see the ban on semi-auto rifles in Boston, for example, which is not state wide or the requirement that cyclists ride in single file in my town 4) I don't wear spandex ever and I am perfectly entitled to form and express my own beliefs about those who do.

Feeling the growl again

Doctor sentenced

Thank you, I had wondered how that one turned out.

Demonstrates my point about cars being able to stop much faster than road bikes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills