Any one ever run the Charlie Horse Half Marathon (Scout?)? (Read 736 times)

Since my birthday is during Memorial Day Weekend I had planned on doing a race. Unfortunatly I wanted one longer than a 5k and can only find 2. One is Charlie and the other is a 10k almost 300 miles away. NOT traveling that far so Charlie may be the default. I've only ran 1 trail run so not sure what to expect from Charlie.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I think we talked about this before. I want to run this but it will be my first time running a trail race. I'll be slow, but I'll do it!

Michelle

I think we talked about this before. I want to run this but it will be my first time running a trail race. I'll be slow, but I'll do it!
        See I've only did a 5k on a supposed trail. It wasn't much of a trail. So I'll definetly be slow. Not even sure if I can run in the same shoes or not.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Scout7

I've not done this race. I don't know much about it, other than the RD, and that it used to be a real popular race but was cancelled a number of years ago. I would like to do it, but I'm still not 100% as to what's going on that weekend.
            I've not done this race. I don't know much about it, other than the RD, and that it used to be a real popular race but was cancelled a number of years ago. I would like to do it, but I'm still not 100% as to what's going on that weekend.
            Scout, find out and let us know. Pam, we can still plan on running it, can't we? When will you know? I'll register as soon as you say you're 100% sure about running it.

Michelle

Probably within the the next day or so. Just really wanted some more info on it. So far this is what I've found on it Late May, Plowville, Pa (Between Reading & Morgantown) Portion of Proceeds & All Donations Benefit Special Olympics This course is isolated and has, (13.1) + or - miles of running through water, across rocks, roots, downed trees, bugs, snakes, hills and maybe even mud, past a gun club and connecting to 7 miles of the horseshoe trail, then finishing at the Sleepy Hollow A.C. We cannot allow for runners under the age of 18 years old Definetly not a course to PR on but sounds interesting and possibly fun (as long as I don't get hurt). I'm going to have to discuss this with hubby tonight!

Scout7

I think Pretzel City handles the race, so that means it will be interesting, to say the least.
                  Found the info on Pagoda Pacer's site though Pretzel City does have it on their race calender. Anyway ought to be an interesting run if I do it.

Probably within the the next day or so. Just really wanted some more info on it. So far this is what I've found on it Late May, Plowville, Pa (Between Reading & Morgantown) Portion of Proceeds & All Donations Benefit Special Olympics This course is isolated and has, (13.1) + or - miles of running through water, across rocks, roots, downed trees, bugs, snakes, hills and maybe even mud, past a gun club and connecting to 7 miles of the horseshoe trail, then finishing at the Sleepy Hollow A.C. We cannot allow for runners under the age of 18 years old Definetly not a course to PR on but sounds interesting and possibly fun (as long as I don't get hurt). I'm going to have to discuss this with hubby tonight!
                    I have the flyer printed out at home. I left it on the stand by the phone so that my husband has a head's up about what I'm thinking of doing. He rolled his eyes at me. NOW I simply have to do it. Besides, this sounds like a fun way to celebrate your b-day! Big grin

Michelle

Ok I say we run it together and JUST HAVE FUN!! There is no way I'm running it to PR since I'd be risking injury.Whacha think? Of course THIS time we have to MAKE sure to meet up so that we can actually run it together Wink Just checked out the weather (though it only went to Friday). If it keeps up the trend looks like it shouldn't be too bad on race day considering they start at 10 am Confused

Ok I say we run it together and JUST HAVE FUN!! There is no way I'm running it to PR since I'd be risking injury.Whacha think? Of course THIS time we have to MAKE sure to meet up so that we can actually run it together Wink
                        *lol* YES, I agree. Run to have fun and plan our meeting up better. Big grin (I'm the one who messed up Broad Street's meeting) Scout...if you ever figure out your schedule for that weekend maybe we can ride in together, I have to look at the map to see who lives closer.

Michelle

Scout7

You'll be able to run it together. It will be much less crowded. And the Pacers are an interesting group. But they put on good runs.
                            You'll be able to run it together. It will be much less crowded. And the Pacers are an interesting group. But they put on good runs.
                            I can't imagine ANYTHING being more crowded than Broad Street lol. Oh and I LOVE interesting people!

This is on the registration page at Active.com There are many reasons for why you should make THIS the one race that you do not miss: 1) This race benefits The Berks Co. Special Olympics; 2) This is a point to point race which will require you to get to the finish, rather than making it an option to not finish. 3) To quote from RUNNER’S WORLD, “Consider running at least one charity race a year. Running for those in need may be just the motivation you need to get out the door, to train and get you to the finish on race day. This year, make THIS race; YOUR race. This course is isolated and has, (13.1) + or – miles of running through water, across rocks, roots, downed trees, bugs, snakes, hills and maybe even mud, past a gun club and connecting to 7 miles of the horseshoe trail, then finishing at the Sleepy Hollow A.C. This may start in a park setting and seem peaceful, but this is not a walk in the park course. This will be challenging and a fun day. You will also have included in your fun filled day, a back country road section with a few more hills. You are racing, walking and running at YOUR OWN RISK. You are solely responsible for your well being at all times. If you would get lost, injured, or possibly romanced along this course, it will be your responsibility to find your way to the finish area, hopefully, before the pool and bar closes. Since this will be a gut wrenching race, and gut wrenching responsibility, we cannot allow for runners under the age of 18 years old. If you are unable to follow trail markings easy enough for a second grader, then please consider coming and cheering your family on throughout the race. All others please come and have a great fun filled challenging day at the park My favorite part is the fact that possibly romanced and gut wrenching race, are almost in the same sentence Wink

Scout7

Go read the applications on PRetzel City's web site. Double Trouble, Half-wit Half.....Those are always good for a laugh.