Annoying, but... whatever (Read 1558 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Background: Everyone in my office knows I run/race a lot and they hear a lot about my various exploits quite a bit. There are probably 2 other runners who race regularly and one woman who in her prime was a 2:45 marathoner, in my office of ~70 people. Yesterday (and this has happened a few times in the recent past) I had the following conversation with a co-worker that left me a little annoyed, but I didn't saying anything for fear of sounding like a dick, or worse, discouraging his running. Co-worker: Dave, I went running yesterday Me: That's great! How was it? CW: Great, didn't hurt too bad, felt good actually to get some miles in. Me: Oh? Nice. How far'd ya go? CW: About 18 minutes... You know, 3 miles, maybe more. Me: 3 Miles huh? wow, you were cruisin'. That's a nice pace. How'd you measure it? CW: Well, you know, that's what I usually run, 3 miles in 18 minutes. Me: Wow, you realize that's pretty fast don't you? If you were to enter most races, you'd probably place in your age group. CW: Yeah, it's not that fast though, you know, I'm just runnin what's comfortable. Me: Well, you'd probably beat me in a 5K CW: Yeah, well, I have long legs (which he does, he's well over 6 feet, but not sure the last time that helped someone run faster) At this point I back off and instead offer more encouragement (like, be sure you stretch!) and then end the coversaiton. For anyone reading this and wondering what the problem is (if it is not obvious)... This guy, while young (23ish) and in fairly good shape for someone who runs a few times in a month seems to have little to no idea how to judge distance. There's no way he's running a "comfortable" 6 minute pace over 3 miles with no training. It's really no big deal in the scheme of things, but then I dwell on it, and it erks me a bit. I've offered sites to him like mapmyrun or walkjogrun so he could see his actual distance, but he never remembers the sites, nor probably cares. And neither should I. But a small part of me does (obviously, or I wouldn't be writing this). I really do like the fact that he IS running, and I'm not in competition with him anyway, so his lack of distance understanding is really of no consequence. I just I just wanted to get it off my chest. Thanks for reading Undecided

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

Tell him you'd like to run together sometime.
        HOSS1961

I saw a guy running yesterday at work around noon. He was older and looked to being @10 minute pace. I yelled at him "How many miles you puttin' in?. He yelled back and said "4...I only have 30 minutes". Go figure but he was pounding it in 92 degree heat.
          HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

ultramarathon/triathlete

I have offered to run with him, but he only runs out in Long Island, and it's quite a trek for me to put in 18 minutes of speedwork Wink

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Tell him you'd like to run together sometime.
              +1 Also, check out this AWESOME mapping site, much better than those you named Wink
                Then there's that even more annoying and horrifying possibility that he really is that fast.

mikeymike

Life's too short, dude.

Runners run

Congratulate him on how well he's running and move on with life... it's not a big deal. At least he wasn't telling you that your running would ruin your knees. Tongue - Chris (in Boulder, where EVERYONE kicks my ass running... Olympians, world champions, moms with jogging strollers, decrepit hound dogs, and 80 year old men doing tempo work at sub-6 min miles).
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Crap like this used to get on my nerves. I remember senior year before XC started we had a guy joining the team who claimed to have run 3 miles in like 15:30 ("I had my dad measure it with his car!" (this was in the 1980's -- that's how we did it back then.)) I knew he was full of it, and expressed my incredulity. He stuck to his guns, and I kept my mouth shut until after the first race of the season, when I asked him why that extra tenth of a mile (5k=3.1) took him over four minutes. Ignore it and let it go. Or convince him to run a 5k with you and crush him like a grape. MTA: Just remembered another guy we had who once said, "Got up at 5 and did 5. Did it in 25." Apparently, the act of shortening the distance to 3.1 miles and the moving the race to 4pm caused him to run almost a minute per mile slower.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

When I first started running my friend from work invited me to run with her on her 3 mile loop. We were preparing for a 5K. I was feeling pretty please because I fairly quickly got to the point where I could run it non-stop. So on my off day I mapped out a 3 mile run at home and confidently went out. Fuuuuuuuuuuudge. Brought my bike to work one day to map our running route. Not quite 2 miles. Most of the time when stuff like that happens you just have to Roll eyes and let it go. But I understand sometimes why it is annoying. My friend is in that stage of rapidly improving on her running and PersonX was asking her about her 5K time and being modest she said ~23 minutes (its actually ~22:50) and PersonX said "Oh, thats not too bad, thats pretty close to what I ran when I did 5K's. I cant quite remember my time, but I know it was right around 22 minutes" Oozing condescension. So she looked it up. It was 27 minutes.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

milkbaby

MTA: Just remembered another guy we had who once said, "Got up at 5 and did 5. Did it in 25." Apparently, the act of shortening the distance to 3.1 miles and the moving the race to 4pm caused him to run almost a minute per mile slower.
                          Maybe he meant 5k in 25 minutes? kosherdave, maybe your co-worker was a 15 minute 5k runner in college. Then 18 minutes for 3 miles wouldn't be anything especially strenuous for him... For me, I really have no idea how fast somebody is running when they're just scooting along and I'm sitting there in my car or on a park bench. I'd have to get out and chase them on foot to get an idea. And there are plenty of old folks and kinda fat people who run way faster than me. As long as they aren't in my age group at the race, I don't care, good for them! Smile
                          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

I run for Fried Chicken!

I had a similar conversation with someone a while back. They did a local 10k race over the weekend, he said he was cruising along and it wasn't a fast pace. He claimed to do the race in about 36 mins. He kept playing it down saying it wasn't fast, he used to row in college and used to run a lot. I looked up his results, he did run it in 36 mins, but the race was a 5k.

Imminent Catastrophe

Suggest that he enter a 5k. That will give him a reality check.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I looked up his results, he did run it in 36 mins, but the race was a 5k.
                                Now that is funny stuff. Great story. Big grin

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.