Treadmill "hills" (Read 971 times)

Did this last night ... made an otherwise fairly easy run really TOUGH!! 5.0 miles in 45:00// 8:55 pace --- 1% incline, except: 1 minute at 1.5% 1 minute at 2.0% 1 minute at 3.0% 1 minute at 3.5% 1 minute at 4.0% 1 minute at 4.5% 1 minute at 5.0% 1 minute at 4.5% 1 minute at 4.0% 1 minute at 3.5% 1 minute at 3.0% 1 minute at 2.5% 1 minute at 2.0% 1 minute at 1.5% Anyone else do "hills" on the treadmill, and have workouts you'd like to share??
    2009: BQ?
      I like hills on a treadmill, but I haven't done them in a few weeks. I usually do intervals: I start at 1% incline for a warm up, then do 6 sets of 3% for 2 min, then 6% for 2 min. By the end, I usually have to lower my speed as my legs KILL.
      va

I've done this one and like it... a. 10 minutes at 0% incline (this is warm-up) b. 1/4 mile at 2% incline c. 1/4 mile at 0% incline (recovery) d. 1/4 mile at 4% incline e. 1/4 mile at 0% incline (recovery) repeat b. thru e. until end of work-out. I maintain the same pace through-out (easy run pace).
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have a random course generator on my treadmill which randomly creates changes in incline indefinitely. This is pretty fun. It's sort of like a fartlek, but with hills instead of speed (what's Swedish for "hill play", I wonder?). If you have that option, you should give it a try. BTW Trishie, did you replace your poor battery-challenged iPod mini? Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Makes me think of the "Bruce Protocol", which is designed to see where your fitness maxes out. It is often used in conjunction with VO2 max testing. Try it out some time: Bruce protocol: A standardized multistage treadmill test for assessing cardiovascular health, The test was developed and described in 1963 by the American cardiologist Robert A. Bruce (1916-2004). According to the original Bruce protocol, the patient walks on an uphill treadmill in a graded exercise test with electrodes on the chest to monitor the EKG. Every 3 minutes, the speed and incline of the treadmill are increased. There are 7 such stages and only very fit athletes can complete all 7 stages. Check it
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

According to the original Bruce protocol, the patient walks on an uphill treadmill in a graded exercise test with electrodes on the chest to monitor the EKG. Every 3 minutes, the speed and incline of the treadmill are increased. There are 7 such stages and only very fit athletes can complete all 7 stages.
              I've had one of those, and I all I can say is that Dr. Bruce was a sadist. Evil grin It was wicked. Although, to my disappointment, they stopped the test while I still had some in the tank, so I never did get to see what level I could have really made to. However, they did probably save me the embarrassment of puking in the doctor's office Dead

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff, you were asking about VO2 max in a different thread. You can calculate your VO2 max from a Bruce protocol as well using the link I posted above. How does that estimate correlate with the ones from this site?
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff, you were asking about VO2 max in a different thread. You can calculate your VO2 max from a Bruce protocol as well using the link I posted above. How does that estimate correlate with the ones from this site?
                  Trenet: Good observation, but since they stopped my test before I was ready to stop, I don't know if it would be valid. Plus, it was years ago and I've moved since then, so unless I feel motivated enough to have that cardiologist fax me his notes (which I don't right now), I'll never know. BTW, reason I was getting the test is because I had a couple episodes of lone atrial fibrillation. Which brings me to todays health lesson: Kids, don't slam ice cold drinks during or immediately after hard exercise. It may make your otherwise healthy heart beat funny! Shocked

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do you remember how many minutes you went before they stopped?
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Do you remember how many minutes you went before they stopped?
                      Nope. Confused

what's Swedish for "hill play", I wonder?
                        I tried to find the translation ... but got bored and quit Tongue ... nope, never replaced the iPod ... just glad it got warmer Smile maybe I'll ask for a Nano for my law school graduation present ...
                        2009: BQ?
                        redhead

what's Swedish for "hill play", I wonder?
                          speed = fart play = leka speed play = fartlek hill = kulle, backe hillside = backslutning hill play = kulleleka (?) hillside run = backslutning lopp (?)
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

hill play = kulleleka (?) hillside run = backslutning lopp (?)
                            This is genius. Maybe for consistency, we should cal it kullelek. A new category for my log... Shy

You'll ruin your knees!

I've been through the Bruce workout a few times, it's what the doc's I see use for "stress testing". I did it once 15 or so years ago, had a 13 year break and was able to beat my original time. Went back and beat it again the next year. I am due to go back soon, wondering if I can manage to beat it again. They leave you on the machine until you cry "uncle". Then they ask why you stopped. Last time there, I set a new PR by about a minute and a half and my answer was " I wanted to leave some for next year...".

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Did this last night ... made an otherwise fairly easy run really TOUGH!! <snip> Anyone else do "hills" on the treadmill, and have workouts you'd like to share??</snip>
                                I have a workout i do (mostly in the winter) that includes hills, but more Ultra hills....I'm an ultrarunner. I do this workout to prepare me for the later stages of a 100 when you have to walk up a mountain trail for hours and are just worn out. This workout gets me to walking faster in a race. What I do is warm up easy for 10 minutes, then crank it up to 15% and walk at 4MPH (15 mpm pace) for 5 minutes and then return to running only I up the pace each running segment, returning to the walking uphill every 10 minutes. The time goes by quickly and the walking part is the hardest part of the workout. I always find myself looking forward to the running segment. ...and if you think walking 4MPH (15 minute pace) at 15% is easy, try it sometime for just 5 minutes Wink

Life is short, play hard!