Son's Mile PR (Read 1020 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My son, 15, won both his races tonight at a local meet. Last week, he PR'd in the mile at 4:52, and tonight he ran it in 4:49. He also won the two-mile race, but it wasn't a PR - he almost didn't run it, he was so tired from the mile. He's still a sophomore, so he should keep getting faster. We're thinking about sending him to an XC camp in North Carolina this summer, to humble him a little! He's kind of a big fish in a little pond in Maine, to say the least.
      congrats to your son - thats a very cool time for a 15 yr old

Just Be

Wow, congrats! Smile
        JakeKnight

Awesome. Just awesome. Now one piece of unsolicited advice, but its pretty good: do everything in your power to make his running talent not a short-term thing, or a means to an end ... but a lifelong journey. I'd give a lot to go back to 15 and run every day, for the joy of it. And I could never run like that.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

That IS awesome....congrats to your son on that PR....I want to break 6:00 this year, it's one of my goals...No way I could break 5:00 yet Shocked
            "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
              I'd give a lot to go back to 15 and run every day, for the joy of it. And I could never run like that.
              Same here. That's great news about your son, hope he continues to improve which I'm sure he will.
                Wow! That's great - lots of talent in those legs. I hope he sees what he has and doesn't lose sight of it. Keep on supporting him (an area where my parents failed when I was his age).

Michelle

That's a great time. Congrats to him.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the advice, too. My husband and I are trying our best to support him and make sure he doesn't burn out. I can tell he loves running because we never have to bug him to go for a run - he goes out on his own. I will definitely remember your advice, Jake! The main area I need to improve in is nutrition - it's hard to get enough good-quality calories into the boy! I went to a seminar on feeding teenaged athletes and realized I've got to do a better job. He's a very picky eater, which doesn't help. And at least now I understand what he's talking about when he mentions tempo, fartleks, long runs, etc.! He tells me what I should be doing to improve, too. It's a lot of fun. Have a great weekend! It's good for running in Maine today. Teresa
                    run4fun8910

Congratulations. I can not even imagine running sub 5 mile let alone a sub 10 min mile. I like that you are encouraging something he loves. I have seen many parents push a kid to do something that they do not like. :-)
                      Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn

My son, 15, won both his races tonight at a local meet. Last week, he PR'd in the mile at 4:52, and tonight he ran it in 4:49.
                        That's great! I didn't go sub-5:00 in the mile until my last race senior year of high school. Getting good foods into him is important. Definitely something to concentrate on.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Now that was a bath...

That's fantastic! I can only imagine how proud you are. Please keep us updated on his progress as the folks of RA would love to cheer him on! Claire xxx
                        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                            My son, 15, won both his races tonight at a local meet. Last week, he PR'd in the mile at 4:52, and tonight he ran it in 4:49. He also won the two-mile race, but it wasn't a PR - he almost didn't run it, he was so tired from the mile. He's still a sophomore, so he should keep getting faster. We're thinking about sending him to an XC camp in North Carolina this summer, to humble him a little! He's kind of a big fish in a little pond in Maine, to say the least.
                            That's very good for a 15 year old. I think it would be good to send him to a camp or show him some high school running on the internet. While 4:49 is good for a sophomore it isn't amazing. Last year in track I saw one of my friends who was a sophomore lose a JV race when he ran 4:50. I've never seen a varsity track race won in anything over 4:30. You're son has some talent and can be very good if he continues to work at it but make sure he knows there are a lot of better runners outside of Maine and he has to work his butt off to be better than them.
                              Um, thanks for that uplifting note, Mike. Roll eyes Teresa, congrats to your son!! I hope he continues running and continues to enjoy it for many years Smile
                              2009: BQ?
                                Congrats. That's a great time. I am always thinking of new ways to keep my 13 yr old daughter motivated so as not to burn her out. I want her to enjoy running for a long time, so far so good. Her best mile is 5:32. I wish your son luck in the future. Evil grin. . . .Nice motivation Mike . . . . Dead
                                http://www.deardick.com