Well, I guess I won't be running or biking on THIS road for a while... (Read 344 times)

xhristopher

Honda seems to be the single brand that I never ever hear any significant criticisms of. 

You can never say this again.

My wife's 01 Civic first broke down at 70 miles then had several recalls over the years. By 100K the aircon, wheel bearings, seat belts (fixed under warranty), and transmission all went? I probably missed something. The transmission was the final straw. Considering the aircon was broken and it needed a brake job we decided not to spend $1000 more than it's value fixing it.

This is spot on:

Alot of it comes down to luck I think.  Some cars, regardless of brand, hit an issue from day one, while others will get 100K plus without any issue.

Our survey samples are just anecdotal.

Brian had a troublesome Saturn yet I drove one 13 years with an absolutely tiny cost of ownership and passed it on running like a champ.

You had a great Civic, ours was crap. My wife never liked it and it also handled poorly. My mother's Accord just wouldn't die despite absolute gross neglect and age. It was a tank.

My Volkswagen killed clutches and had found a reason to see the mechanic quarterly. Despite this it was endearing, at least until the electronics went.

My 07 Mazda has a sweet tooth for rubber, but that's my fault. Otherwise, no issues.

My wife's absolutely loves driving her 11 Mazda. No issues yet.

My son's 12 Dodge seems incredibly improved from the 10 and earlier versions. In fact Fiat is now using many of the same switch gear in the new Maserati Quattroporte. Go figure.

xhristopher

We can argue car reliability all day long but the boys at Top Gear UK already decided this long ago. Here's the winner:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What is/was that?!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Brian had a troublesome Saturn yet I drove one 13 years with an absolutely tiny cost of ownership and passed it on running like a champ.

I forgot to mention that the Saturn was the only car in my life that I bought brand new....

Likely, never again for me.

But, as you pointed out, Saturns could be great.
          (I was trying to point out the same thing by listing 3 different manufactures from 3 different continents that all produce decent vehicles)

I also had an '87 Mitsubishi Colt (yes, somehow it said Mitsubishi when others were Dodge Colts) when I was in college.  I changed the timing belt on that and realized I didn't like changing timing belts.  Dang knuckles were tore up for weeks and the project took forever to complete!  I had about 1.25" space about 16" down from the hood where I had to unscrew some dang bolt.  Yes, not really possible, but saved me a bunch of money I didn't have by doing it myself.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Life Goals:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know what I have found to be the most reliable?  Bicycles. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

You know what I have found to be the most reliable?  Bicycles. Smile

Unfortunately, they break down sometimes too, thought...

MTA: holy cow, I was able to post a picture!!!

Life Goals:

TigerEyess

What is/was that?!

Toyota Hilux.  Series 3, episodes 5 and 6.  Culminated with it being put on top of a derelict building which was then demolished.  They dug out the hilux then started it and drove it away. Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Toyota Hilux.  Series 3, episodes 5 and 6.  Culminated with it being put on top of a derelict building which was then demolished.  They dug out the hilux then started it and drove it away. Smile

Ha, excellent!

~ Sarah Kay