>Health and Nutrition>Tarsal Coalition?
50 halfs by age 50
*Mel* // "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine
The Monkey Games
I'm running somewhere tomorrow. It's going to be beautiful. I can't wait.
Hey Chimera, do you know exactly which bones are fused?
Are they one fused bone, or are they connected by some sort of other soft tissue? If it's soft tissue, and it's giving you pain, I don't see why they couldn't do something to split the bones.
Yep...talus and calcaneus. You can see the tethering plain as day on the Xray. Not a lot of joint space to look at
Goodness, that is your major weight bearing area. Are they completely fused or is there some motion?
1. I am sorry, this is a tough and uncommon problem that likely few folks have much experience with
2. You should probably get a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon who has a focus on feet and ankles, if possible.
3. I wonder if specific foot strengthening work such as barefoot running may help. Maybe 1-2 miles barefoot on grass, 1-3 times per week.
4. Another word for "coalition" is "chimera", which I find interesting given your name.
5. Why do you not like the brace?
6. DO you get any relief from postrun ice or antiinflammatories?
Yes, beach running will be even better than grass! Glad you have access, I don't
Husband and father of 4
Be careful that you don't get blisters.
I was all pumped to run barefoot on the beach ALL WEEK during my summer vacation last year. Our first morning there, I made sure to wake up just before sunrise so that I could have a beautiful view of the Atlantic. After 3 miles I could feel some serous soreness, but I was manly and persevered past the pain. When I got back, I had the largest blisters on the balls of my feet. I tried to ignore them for the rest of the day as I enjoyed various water activities with the kids, but they ended up bursting and (I guess) getting infected in the water? From my knee on down, I had serious swelling for the ENTIRE WEEK! It really sucked. I mustered enough strength to run with my shoes on a few days later, but that was it!!
Thank goodness we had plenty of cervesa.
It's the Nike Free.