Would people be more open about their lives if interviewed while jogging? (Read 127 times)

Joann Y

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/nov/15/the-runners-film-interviewing-people-jogging

Basic idea is that these filmmakers interview people while running, random people I presume, and ask them the "big questions". I find it interesting that many runners don't think about anything in particular while running but then when asked, you get this openness and willingness to talk about things normally sort of "off limits". For me, running alone is the closest I come to meditation. I personally don't run with other people very often, but when I do, the openness that is there can be similar to that openness you have when sitting at the bar, drinking beers with a friend. Conversation just rolls. I'm curious what others think about state of mind while running.

From the article...

As we gained confidence we started to be able to delve deeper. We heard about people running with heads filled with the potential of love, the worries of knowing what to do next, the moment of realising that you won't have children, about escaping depression, about how the world was created by god, and planning to have more sex.

They opened up to us, again and again. Less and less, would they reject our requests for a conversation. In the meanwhile the seasons were rolling by; we kept going during the winter and the summer brought new waves of enthusiasts.

After each trip we found ourselves exhausted but increasingly inspired. I became quite envious of this state of mind and the focus that the runners expressed. It made me excited about being human and about their sense of peace and understanding of the present. It made me want to be part of it.

Why is it sideways?

Really cool. I just watched the movie; it's only 11 minutes.

The time that I run is the time of my life in which I feel truly sane; the rest of the time I am pretty much faking it.

Running seems to put things back in their proper place.

mikeymike

Really cool. I just watched the movie; it's only 11 minutes.

The time that I run is the time of my life in which I feel truly sane; the rest of the time I am pretty much faking it.

Running seems to put things back in their proper place.

I watched it too. I totally agree.

I sometimes wish the people in my life that are not runners could get inside my head while I'm running. It would all make so much more sense to them then. They would feel so reassured and so much better about everything. I know that's kind of a weird thing to say but hey.

Runners run

Runslowalksalot

Or just ask them after a few beers, the other truth serum.   Personally, while jogging I'm too busy running away from the scary thoughts in my head to answer any questions.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do probably 99% of my running solo, but on those rare occasions when I've run with others it's led to some really interesting baring of souls.  There's one woman I ran with years ago...we met through running.  We were virtually strangers, but on one of our first long runs together we had some very personal discussions about dysfunctional parents and siblings, raising kids, spouses (and raising spouses, heh).  Stuff that I generally wouldn't discuss with anyone unless we already had a well-established friendship.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Running Chick

i think people are open and have very random thoughts while running........ so my gut says YES.  people will be more open when running.