32nd Running Anniversary(4/22/08) and Just went over 66,000 Miles!! (Read 946 times)

I couldn't resist the opportunity to "blow my own horn". I am so greatful for a healthy body and the good fortune to enjoy running as much as I do. The friends I have made, the experiences, the self-satisfaction are all priceless. To qualify for Boston 31 yrs after my first marathon--with a 12 second faster time than I ran back in 12/77 (3:58) still has me smiling. The gift to share my experiences and coach Newbies has been very rewarding. My goal has always been to make running a lifelong activity for myself and those I coach. Many drop out because they can't "wait" and end up doing too much/too soon/too fast and return to the couch. SECRETS FOR BECOMING A LIFE LONG RUNNER: Start of EZ--then back off. Running and walking are authorized. Rest days are sacred. Don't ever take yourself or your running too seriously. Take your time--a goal 10 -20 yrs from now will keep it all in perspective. Did I mention it is OK to run "slow"? In my prime(early 40's) I ran 5K's in the low 18's and 10K's in the 37's. I trained 2-3 minutes slower than race pace for most of my runs. Now run 22-23 min 5K's and 46-47 min 10K's and do most of my running around 10:30 per mile--if not slower. My first mile or 2 is done around 12:30 to 13:00 minutes. Running EZ has worked for me. Try it--especially if you want to run for the rest of your life. If your goal is run the rest of your life--there is no hurry. Thanks for letting me get on my soap box. Have fun as you run. Nick
      Amazing... simply amazing. Congratulations, and here's hoping for another 32 years and 66,000 miles!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Man, I saw the subject line of this post, not even knowing that you were on this forum, and thought "That's gotta be long run nick." Run on, man. You have helped so many people and your posts on the old board were an invaluable resource to me when I was a beginner. You are cool.
        "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
          That really is unbelievable... you're the kind of guy that teenage runners like me can look up to... Congrats
          PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

Giants Fan

Just one word...INSPIRATIONAL.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dayum!!! Shocked That's committment, man. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thank you for the words of wisdom! They mean so much coming from someone who has been dedicated for so long! Congrats!
                  Congratulations, and here's hoping for another 32 years and 66,000 miles!
                  You beat me to it Jeff, I was thinking "here's to 66,000 more" too. Congrats Nick! Big grin

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

C-R

2.65 times around the earth and counting. You are Da Man! Way to keep us inspired and well done indeed!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just Be

Congrats, Long Run Nick! You're so close to 100k ... keep plugging along and you'll be there before you know it!
                      JakeKnight

Anybody know if he's running Boston today or next year? If today, he ain't gonna be answering. If he is, gimme a name and a bib number.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Anybody know if he's running Boston today or next year? If today, he ain't gonna be answering. If he is, gimme a name and a bib number.
                          Hey Jake--chose not to run this year. I was afraid I would be grinning too much up there in Boston this year and get bug stains on my teeth Tongue. My main goal was always to qualify. I ran as a bandit in 1978--this yr I am qualified--and didn't run. Karma even!! Next yr if all goes well. Actually, I turn 65 in Sept and BQ time dips to 4:15--though my '08 BQ covers me for next year. Thanks for thinking of me. Keep running. Nick

My legs are killing me

Nick, People write books about your "secrets". Yours are perfect and a nice reminder for those of us who'd like to continue to run for the rest of our lives. Thanks for such great advice! And congratulations!
                            Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Nick, you have been an inspiration since I first saw your posts at CR. Whenever I have to stop to walk, I remember that I want to be a lifelong runner and not just a right-now runner.

TRUST THE PROCESS

The Greatest of All Time

I think you out ran Forrest Gump. Nice!
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.