Cold weather gear - gloves (Read 233 times)

Slo

What Mikey and Flatfooter said.

Of course, we all have different tolerance to cold and what's comfortable but even in the sub zero temps a cheap pair of knit gloves is generally all I need.

I buy a dozen at a time...just a hair over $.50 a pair...perfect if I need to toss them because I didn't need them or they work in a pinch for the unexpected lower GI issues.

Latent Runner

Years (decades) ago when I lived in the Chicago area a sporting goods store (Vertel's?) used to sponsor a couple of "European Style Cross Country" events each year, and one of the freebies was a pair of very loose knit cotton gloves (any looser and they would look like the weave used in fish-net stockings).  I loved those gloves and found them perfect to wear from the low thirties all of the way down to below zero.  After I moved to New York in 1992, and then to New Hampshire a decade later, I wore them year after year after year, until they literally fell off my hands.  Last year I had to buy a nice pair of poly pro Asics gloves and they're simply too darned hot to wear unless the OAT is well below zero.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Of course, we all have different tolerance to cold and what's comfortable but even in the sub zero temps a cheap pair of knit gloves is generally all I need.

I buy a dozen at a time...just a hair over $.50 a pair...

This.  I make sure that I am wearing a jacket / running pants / something with pockets to stash stocking cap / headband / gloves as I warm up and take stuff off.  My profile photo shows headgear for temperatures down to about -20 deg F.

ultramarathon/triathlete

My problem is that I just hate wearing them. It is fine for maybe a mile and then I get sweaty and feel confined and want to rip them off. Then I have no place to put them.

You could get these:

Or, more seriously, you could get gloves with no finger tips.  It might make you feel less fingerly claustrophobic, but I'll say you're finger tips will likely just fall off in the midwest winter.  I have an old pair of really thin UnderArmour gloves (finger tips have naturally fallen off on a few). They breathe well and keep me reasonably warm.  Realistically though, you're gonna just have to adjust to hand covers.  It's friggin cold.  You might also want to invest in some run-specific boxers to wear under your running tights.  I ran to work w/o them yesterday and it was 28 degrees.  My gentleman region almost didn't survive the wind.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

sugnim

For a cheap alternative, try wearing socks as mittens.  You can usually get a pair of polyester socks at a discount store for a buck or two.

Future running partner.

For a cheap alternative, try wearing socks as mittens.  You can usually get a pair of polyester socks at a discount store for a buck or two.

+1

I started doing that this year since it just started getting cold here in NC. I have 2 really nice pairs of gloves somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them, except for 1 orphan. The socks on the hands have worked pretty good for temps in the low 40's and 30's and they cost me nothing since I already use them for my feet.

+1

I started doing that this year since it just started getting cold here in NC. I have 2 really nice pairs of gloves somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them, except for 1 orphan. The socks on the hands have worked pretty good for temps in the low 40's and 30's and they cost me nothing since I already use them for my feet.

30s and 40s isn't cold!  You southerners.... :-)

Latent Runner

Maybe you haven't heard; us Yankees ain't got no feel'ins.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                  • 2-mile: 13:49
                  • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                  • 5-Mile: 37:24
                  • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                  • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                  • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                  DaBurger

apparently high 60's are cold in San Diego, about to find out in 2 weeks.

Know thyself.

apparently high 60's are cold in San Diego, about to find out in 2 weeks.

you're not even to PR temps yet. Keep dropping!

DaBurger

I'm a fan of the Spring 40's and Fall 50's myself.

Know thyself.

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone.

Today was about 55 and it was absolutely perfect out. Ran a nice PR (not overall, but since getting back into shape) and didn't need anything.

I think it is the wind more than anything that is bothersome. Since I have a very loose "stance" for my hands I am going to try a mitten to give myself less restriction.

keeponrunning

This winter will be my 5th year running in the cold, and this is the first year I've splurged on running mitts.  Sadly, I don't think they are any warmer than my other ones.

Typically I use dollar store gloves down to 28 or 30.  After that I'm in mittens.  If it gets windy (which it often does here), I'll often wear the fleece-lined wool Canada gloves you can buy through Zellers (now Target) and The Bay.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I wear these running gloves from Target, pretty good price & they do the job. My hands may get warm & sweaty after a while, but I can take them off & my hands are completely dry - the miracle of wicking. If I do take them off, I just hold them in my hands, or tuck them in my waistband. When it gets really cold, I double up & put a pair of regular fleece gloves on top. If it is that cold I am usually wearing a jacket, so have pockets to stash them if they need to come off. 

Dave

RunsOnDirt

Try Seirus Men's Deluxe Thermax Glove Liner.  You can get them at Dick's for about $15. They're great... lightweight, moisture-wicking, warm enough (I use them down to about 20F), and not bulky if you want to take them off and slip them in your waistband or pocket.

PRs in my 5th decade: 5K - 19:56 10K - 43:45 10 M - 1:14:12 Half Mary - 1:39:27 Full Mary - 3:34:12 (BQ)