What do you think? Can I break 1:30 HM next wk at Baystate? (Read 1031 times)

evtish

It's my first HM, have done a couple 10 milers at ~<7 pace, but didn't race them all out.  Been doing a pretty good amount of 10+ longer runs and aerobic base building, but haven't really done much pace work or speedwork because I hurt my ankle a few weeks ago and had to let it heal.

So tonight did a HM+ pace workout (6:49 vs 6:52) on TM 1 deg for 1/2 the distance.  I was laboring for the last 10 minutes pretty badly so it isn't giving me alot of confidence I can hold the pace for the whole HM.  I was overheating like a sweathog so that did suck some life from me, but hard to tell how much.

So I'm going to do a speedwork on Fri (5min intervals/2-3 rec at ~5k pace maybe 4x), then maybe a 5 mile race Sunday (or HM pace workout), then taper next wk with 6x400@10k Mon, 3 mile HM pace Wed, and 3x400@10k Fri, all other EZ.

Guess I'm just looking for a confidence boost because I'm not feeling it right now.  Take a look at my log and I appreciate your knowledge or suggestions.

Thanks!

Tom

SMART Approach

How many miles do you do a week? I think you need to cut the intensity. Holy smokes you are running a lot of race pace work (or faster). A 6.5 mile work out at half marathon pace is a hard work out unless you are running high miles. You did a hard work out Wed. You want to go hard again Friday and hard again on Sunday. Slow down. Your training is already in. I would not do a 5 mile race on Sunday. I would do a mid long run Sunday outside with a good warm up and 4 miles at HM pace, some striders and the rest of the week, get some miles in but little intensity other than some striders and maybe a couple 800s at HM pace on Wed.

BTW, I am around your speed for a half and never run more than 10 mile training runs on my low miles and never faster than 8:15 pace and I can handle 7 min pace for the half. I wouldn't even consider a 10 mile work out at 7 min mile. If you can do this work out, you should be fine race day assuming you don't beat yourself leading up to race day. Any recent 5K or 10Ks and what were your times?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I agree with TChuck. You don't need that much intensity, ever really, and especially to run a good half marathon. The half is more about endurance than speed. 

If you want to gauge your HM readiness, try this:  Before that upcoming 5mile race, go to the race early and run about 7 to 8 miles at Long run pace (EZ) right before the race. Then run the 5 mile race and try to run your goal HM pace, 6:52.  

twrex7

I just ran my first HM a couple weeks ago so I'll share my (limited) experience.  I finished 1:29:18 - just narrowly beat my goal!

The first 9 miles were smooth sailing.  Easy breathing - legs felt steady.  I was running at or below goal pace and feeling pretty good.. Something happened after mile 9 though.  The legs just did not want to go that fast anymore.  Breathing remained in control but I was pushing to turn out sub 7's.  I eeked out a painful last mile @ 6:40 or so. 

I determined I didn't log enough long runs.  Next time I do a half I'm going to make sure I have some slow 15 milers in the bank to help with leg strength later in the race.  I was doing some quality twice a week - once mid week and once during the long run I would bang out a few fast miles.

For what its worth I think you'll break 1:30 no problem.  You have to remember, theres good days and bad days.. Training runs aren't races!  Good luck!

SMART Approach

Something happened after mile 9 though.  The legs just did not want to go that fast anymore.  Breathing remained in control but I was pushing to turn out sub 7's.  I eeked out a painful last mile @ 6:40 or so. 

Sounds like a good race. For you to do a 6:40 last mile means you probably ran a good race. The last few miles you need to put in more effort to hold pace as fluid is lost including blood volume and you are tired. No one should feel to good if truely racing hard during a half.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

I will 'third' the opinion that you don't need much intensity for 1/2 marathon.  Strength, stamina, endurance.   Tchuck's advice on what to do from now to race day looks pretty solid to me.

I can't find any of your recent races by going back a couple months in your log. To me this is a problem for anyone wanting to hit a stretch race goal.  Get out there and race a 5 or 10K once in a while.  I'm not saying go out and hammer yourself repeatedly but racing will get you used to what it feels like to race.  As someone else mentioned, races are way different than lonesome training runs.  This will also document your improvement and give you confidence.

Why is it sideways?

This thread makes me nervous.

xhristopher

This thread makes me nervous.

What is this tread about again? I'm too distracted by seeing "Baystate" in the same sentence as "next week."

I can't fathom trying to run a 10 miler near my HM pace on a training run. Go for that sub 1:30. There isn't much you can do at this point other than find out on the 17th.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I'm not sure at this point.  You sound like you have the speed but it also sounds like you have some injury history when you try to use that speed.  Running more easy miles will help with that as well as build up your base but really what the hell do I know I'm just some guy on the internet. 

I wish you nothing but the best of luck and hope you do it!  Let us know how you do?  I was going to predict a time but you didn't ask for that so I will not.  However you did ask a yes and no question.  I am going to answer with . . . . . . . no.  Now go prove me wrong.  May you have the best race ever!

2011 Goals:
                      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                    xor

This thread is making me thirsty.

xhristopher

Tom, I just took a peak at your log and based on your late spring 5K time and the cross training you've been doing I'm going to go against BCR and say. . . . . . . yes. 

In May I ran 1:32 in the heat on 30 mpw with no specific training, shorter & less long runs but lots of cross training on the bike. My 5K at the time was much slower than yours so I don't see why you couldn't go faster in nice running temps, ahem, next week.

Neither BCR or I may have any business making a prediction on this but I guarantee one of is will be right. Now go out there, suffer, and prove me right.

Tom, I just took a peak at your log and based on your late spring 5K time and the cross training you've been doing I'm going to go against BCR and say. . . . . . . yes. 

Wrong thread perhaps.???

xhristopher

Wrong thread perhaps.???

I think being named Tom's got to be as bad as being named Chris (Heck, my middle name is even Thomas!). You hear your name called all the time but according to the first post evtish=Tom. Or did I miss something?

I think being named Tom's got to be as bad as being named Chris (Heck, my middle name is even Thomas!). You hear your name called all the time but according to the first post evtish=Tom. Or did I miss something?

doh... my bad. I didn't realize evtish=Tom

I should just go back to work... or sleep.

xhristopher

doh... my bad. I didn't realize evtish=Tom

I should just go back to work... or sleep.

On top of that if you were asking about going sub 1:30 at Baystate it would be interesting and surprising.