January swimming (Read 1164 times)

Carl A

Reading about all this swimming is making me want to renew my local pool membership again. The only problem I see is that to have time to swim I'd need to get up early in the morning and run. I'm going to kick the idea around for a few days to see if it will fly.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

spacityrunner

Carl, hope you can find time to get into the pool. It feels great after a run! Did 35 min/1400 yads after my 6.5 mile run today. My schedule begins to get a lot tighter for the next few months...hope I can keep this up. Who needs sleep anyway, right? Big grin

Trails Rock!

4 sets of 400 today, change from my usual 6x250. Golf score of last lap of first set, 92, last lap of 4th set 107

Gotta TRI

After a not so good swim Thursday, I did get in a great 1200 today. Have to get a little more consistant. Andy
          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
            Completely sucky swim for me today. 30 minutes of getting water up in my sinuses and in my inner ear, then I just gave up. Tomorrow will be better! Big grin
              Mind if I join the conversation? I've been swimming for 20+ years, never competitively but always for fun. I think I do good at it because I have these big feet............no need for fins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swam today for the first time since September. I had to go and actually buy a membership. I used to teach group fitness but stopped in October......this is the first time I've had to pay in 5 years! Shocked So anyway, I'm not the greatest at figuring out yards, I keep track of laps. I swam for about 25 minutes today completing 20 laps mostly breast stroke since I'm recovering from my marathon a week ago (did about 6 laps with the kickboard but it wore my legs out and did 4 laps of freestyle). It felt good to be back. Had the lane to myself which is the norm on a Sunday (the gym is dead Sleepy ). 20*25 yards= 500 meters? not too sure if that's right or not.
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                I only did 800 meters this morning in about 20 minutes (forgot my watch!) - didn't really feel like it today!!! Only managed a 4 mile run yesterday too!! I think I'm still feeling pooped after my daughter's 17th birthday party on Saturday. Fifteen 16 and 17 year olds staying up all night. I think I managed to drop off to sleep about 2 am!!!
                  Nick, teens are like herds of buffalo at parties -- can't believe how they thunder up & down the stairs all night (to get to the pizza in the fridge at 3am?!) Welcome, turbo! 40 minutes swim today. Trying to work on not cranking my head up out of the water when I breathe. 'snot working. I tried one of the beginning TI drills but had trouble. Hey, maybe I can get some help from a TI graduate here: I start out on my back, as the book instructs, then on my side (head still out of the water), arm outstretched in front of me. It's just fine and dandy. The moment I turn my head to put it in the water (looking down), and then back up to breathe again....bleah! Water up my nose, etc. What am I doing wrong?

Bugs

Making my first introduction. I like this thread because it is not triathlon. Started aqua jogging because of injury and was envious of the people that could do laps. Took lessons this fall. Now I love running, and enjoy swimming even if I'm slow and far from perfect. One thing I like about swimming is it is not a race, not yet for me anyway. I keep it all easy and am just happy to not be aqua jogging so much. I try to count laps but always mess up. Do most of you use a lap watch? 40 min in the pool today. I've been told I have a runner's kick, but I think it's getting better. I can feel that my feet are staying closer to the water and it feels easier. Econo, I don't have the answer, but I struggle with the TI drills too. Think I'll watch it again tonight.

Bugs

spacityrunner

Nice to see everyone here. Hope you are all enjoying the pool. Econo, I don't even know what a T1 is, no less what you are doing "wrong". But I will share with you what my instructor said to me every time I complained when water was going up my nose. He would say "well, that is because you are breathing in when you should be breathing out". I used to swear at him a lot. Big grin 30 min 1200 yds. I was not going to go because it was getting so late..but I am glad that I did. I feel so much better now.

Trails Rock!

I don't even know what a T1 is,
                        http://www.totalimmersion.net/
                          4x400 again today. I'm forgetting my to count my GS, adding extra laps has me concentrating on not loosing count of Apple, Banana, Cat, etc. I'm always getting a little faster, but I can only compare myself to the one other guy that does laps while I'm there, and he is probably at least twice as fast as me. I don't want to be the last guy out of the water when I start doing Tri's this year. A coach or masters group won't fit into my schedule right now, so can anyone recommend good books, websites, or videos that will benefit me? I know the bookstore closest to me has a Total Immersion book, or should I order the book and video together?

Gotta TRI

Hey Tri gang, What a workout yesterday! Totally lost track of total yards. Tends to happen after TWO HOURS!! But it was great! We had our swim video taped and our coach went over everyones swim after the workout. Really cool as we all had 1 lap taped from the surface, and 1 lap from underwater. How cool to see what your stroke actually looks like. Man do I need work! But it was cool to see how it is supposed to look anyways. Andy
                            2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

Sandi Sue

I would definitely order the video. It helps to see what they're talking about when they introduce the stroke drills.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

Hi Bugs, I have terrible trouble counting!! Sometimes I just can't seem to concentrate on counting, I'm thinking about what I'm going to be doing at work later; the argument with the wife last night; what the kids are up to; is that attractive girl in the other lane single!!! Tongue So I don't know where I am!! Did 40 lengths yesterday (I think!!!), 1000 meters in 25:55.