Learning to run again.. (Read 714 times)

Insert witty title here

I ran a mile occasionally in college, but the longest I ever ran was a 5k in 2001 that I finished in 29:56 (not bad considering I'd never run farther than a mile, didn't train for it at all and did walk a little). After that I didn't run again until a month ago (7/28) when I decided to give it another shot and now I'm addicted. Rough would not begin to explain it in the beginning, but today I accomplished what I thought was impossible a month ago. I ran 3 miles (no walking) in 24:44. I'm looking forward to a 5k hopefully in a couple of weeks and by then hope to cut that time down even more. Considering I'm nearly 30 and still a smoker I was pretty ecstatic with today's run (although obviously the smoking has to stop!).

ThomasRuns Blog
    Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

Dave

Congratulations on your run. Running consistently will help you make the most progress as opposed to focusing on speed at this point. Most of your runs should be at an easy, conversational pace. Once you get some miles on your legs, the speed will definately come. Its good that you're logging your miles and making it public. You cannot imagine how much faster and longer you'll be running once you quit smoking.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Old, Slow, Happy

Nice Run!!! You'll be catching my best 5k time very soon. I'm sure you'll make great improvements whenever you're able to quit smoking. You'll also find your times will be better in a race than they are when you're just training. Great Job!!!

Half Fanatic #846

Considering I'm nearly 30 and still a smoker I was pretty ecstatic with today's run (although obviously the smoking has to stop!).
          Try Chantix (Rx) with your doctor's permission - everyone I know that tried it, including me, my wife, SIL, and aquaintance at work were able to stop successfully with only one exception. The Rx costs about the same as smoking, but the good part is (a) you'll probably quit, and (b) save a lot of $ when you do. And run faster and farther... Big grin

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

kcam

You smoke? Cool. At your next 5K turn to the person that finished behind you and tell them "I GOTTA quit smoking". They'll get a kick out of it!