Too ambitious? (Read 1420 times)

hairbag27

I started running about 2 years ago. Last year, I got serious and trained for and ran a marathon. I finished in 3hr57min. I'm gonna run the marathon again and want to finish in 3Hr20min. I'm currently running 6 days/week and concentrating on speed. I'll start marathon training in June. Is a 3hr20min marathon a realistic goal for me?

The Greatest of All Time

I am not going to give you some long analysis, someone else will. But based on your training speeds, I say yes. Your last tempo run was right at 3:20 marathon pace so your legs know what that speed fills like. If you train smart this should be easily doable.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        I think it's a bit ambitious. maybe in a couple years, but that'll be pretty tough for you now, I think. Run a 5K all out in the next couple weeks and you'll have a better idea, but I think 3:40 is probably a pretty ambitious goal at this point.
        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I agree with Viich. What is your age? Can you manage 150+ miles a month? On your log 75 miles is the most you have logged in a month. I see an injury in your future. Use the 10% rule and go from there. Smile.Ha, I could be wrong!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

mikeymike

If you train smart this should be easily doable.
            I agree. But you need to stop concentrating on speed and start concentrating on distance. You're barely running at all. Build as big a base as you can.

Runners run

jeffdonahue

I would say it might be a bit of a reach. Right now, looking at your log, most of your runs (even your tempo runs) are in the low to mid-8:00mpm pace. You do have one tempo run at 7:39 but that is just one run and my guess would be that you pushed it a little harder than you would be able to do for 26.2 miles. Though you really dont have any long runs out there. After you have done a few longer runs (at least over 10 miles, but probably closer to 13 or 14 miles) see what pace you had for those and how they felt. If they felt easy, then they are probably at your marathon pace because the second half always gets harder. If you struggled holding that pace, then slow it down a bit. I would just start running more in preparation (dump the speed stuff) for the marathon and see how it goes. You will have a better feel for your long run pace after you have done this for a while.

Future running partner.

I would say it is definately doable. If you train smart, consistently and injury free. A 39 minute 5 miler is about the equivalent to a 3:50 marathon based on some running calculators. So you are already part of the way there. Like the others said I would try and increase your mileage to about 45 to 50 miles per week, from where you are now using the 10% rule. I would also gradually increase your longest runs to about 3 hours weekly or biweekly. Also using the 10% rule. Marathon racing is all aerobic. So very little speed is necessary maybe just some very controlled strideouts at mile pace just to imrove running economy. Keep your paces slower than marathon pace until the last couple of months of training before your race. Then start to incorporate Tempo runs, long intervals/fartlek at your marathon goal pace, so that you get used to running at that speed.
                  Need more info about you. Age. Gender. Marathon experience. Running experience. Injuries. How did that marathon feel? Did you jog it or run it? You want to knock off 40 minutes. That's a lot. You've only done 200 miles this year. You may need more of a base to see some improvement. And base is mileage and long runs. Worry about that first, then speed.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Maybe in the future, but not yet. Big world of difference between ~4hr and 3:20, and it'll take consistent 40mi+ weeks (at least) to bridge that gap. There is some speedwork that benefits marathoners, but right now you just need to focus in getting more miles in.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

hairbag27

Male. 40 yrs old. 1 race in my entire life and that was the marathon last fall. been running for 2 years now. Had reconstructive knee surgery 22 years ago last week (repaired ACL, LCL & PCL on left knee by Dr. Shelburn in Indy). Run it...jog it? I don't know. I started running, but finished jogging. If you'll note my training log, this week and last week I have been lax. I do have a life other than running and life keeps getting in the way of running. We have a 64 mile bike ride tomorrow so I'm not gonna do my speed work tonight as my schedule says. I'll start building on miles. I'm gonna sign up for a 5K to be run on 5/24 just to see what I can do.

Why is it sideways?

If I were you, I'd focus on running 3:40 first. Running 3:20 means running almost 2 minutes faster per mile, which is running really on a different order of magnitude. This is why, I think, when folks were saying it is possible (and I agree it is), they were tempering their remarks with suggestions about mileage, etc. If you want to do it, you can. But, it will require a change in lifestyle and probably an injury and 2 or 3 failures along the way.
                          Hmmm. You may have your work cut out. It's good you bike, that helps w/ overall fitness, but they don't equal one another. You'll have to seriously evaluate how you felt after your first marathon - ie, how much was left in the tank, what could you have done had you trained properly, etc. I mean, if you trained a bit or fairly well and said, WTF, I'll do a marathon, then you may be able to close the gap with some serious sticktuitiveness. If you trained well and gave it your all, well, that's something else. I have a life outside of running, too, but if you want to set up kick-ass goals, then you gotta follow through. For me, it's meant a reduction in boozin' and fly fishing. You must become running's bitch. I had a strong return-to-running marathon in the fall with pretty decent training, then set up a goal of cutting 12ish minutes for a spring marathon. I cut about 5ish minutes and I had trained for the second one SO much more. Of course, it was a tougher marathon and I got up the marathon day just feeling I wasn't going to have an A game. But still, it was a lot of time to cut. I still say, give it your all, but be careful to avoid injury. Listen to your body - while I stand by my statement about becoming running's bitch, you don't wanna become a schedule slave. (I saw you mentioned schedule.) Good luck.

Hawt and sexy

You are averaging 50 mile a MONTH. Yes, your goal is ambitious. Try running 50 miles a week. Then you have a maybe going for your quest. Until then, you are just dreaming. Quit dreaming and do. If life is getting in the way, keep dreaming. It's up to you really.

I'm touching your pants.

finney

Resident pinniped

I'd say no, not on that base. 10 mpw is what a lot of beginners are running, and beginning runners usually don't attempt marathons. It doesn't matter that you're likely faster than a lot of beginners, your overall fitness just isn't there at this point. Get that up a bit and then tackle another marathon.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You must become running's bitch.
                                Awesome.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.