Elevation Gain and Loss (Read 1886 times)

bpuhak

The fanciest gadget I run with is a watch, so I'd be happy with just a pair of boxes where I could manually enter elevation gain and loss (as guesstimated from topo maps).

Thanks for the tip/hack. Now I recognize the elevation profile on my runs (and rides).

+1 This is a big help.  I never realized this before.

eric :)

No, I am referring to Google (or USGS or whatever the maps use) elevation data, not Garmin. I'm well aware of the limitations of the Garmin (GPS-derived) elevation data. I was saying perhaps you could derive elevation from Google for better accuracy, and use this to calculate gain/loss.

I wasn't trying to be dense.  Your previous post said Garmin, which puzzled me.  Like I said, elevation correction will be included in a future release.  I don't know why everyone thinks Google is the data source.  They did in fact added elevation data recently, but they have a quota on the number of lookups and that is too low for RA, and definitely too low for elevation correction.

I don't know about Google maps, but another piece of software I use to track runs takes the location data, plots it on USGS topo maps and then returns the elevation from that. There are apparently series of maps of varying accuracy (minutes of resolution?) that you can download. That may be an issue.... how many maps would be required to cover all areas. I dl ones just for the areas I run. They also have ground penetrating radar maps that can give more accurate readings, perhaps in heavily forested areas? It also uses a smoothing function so it doesn't look like it has a bad case of the DT's......  even then it isn't foolproof. I once did a run across a bridge which the resulting map took a huge negative spike.. .looked like I ran off the bridge at one point. If it adds that into the total elevation gain/loss a couple of those could play havoc with the data.

Imminent Catastrophe

I wasn't trying to be dense.  Your previous post said Garmin, which puzzled me.  Like I said, elevation correction will be included in a future release.  I don't know why everyone thinks Google is the data source.  

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant Google. So if Google isn't the source for elevation data then what is? (Assuming you've unchecked/rechecked that button to get the more accurate profile, or if you create the map by hand). I'm obviously pretty ignorant about this, just wondering.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016