rockenmamof5 in Niagara (Read 661 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where did you run? I will be there Weds - Friday and will need to grab some miles. What do you suggest? We are staying on the Canadian side in the Embassy Suites...
      Niagara Parkway! http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/niagara.htm VERY easy to get to from your hotel. Nice thing is you can run either direction and get in some good miles along a scenic route.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks. The Niagara River Trail looks great! Does this go right by the hotels and the falls?
          Yep. I stayed at the Marriott (falls view) and it was about 1/2 mile from the trail. Your welcome!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cool. That is right next door to where I am staying! I'll check it out.
              It's an enjoyable run. Pretty flat and if you run early enough not really crowded. Best part is you can pretty much pick whatever distance you want. You could EASILY do a 20 miler.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh, one can always easily do a 20 miler Wink Ha, kidding. Probably do around 15 one day and 10 the next. Perhaps I'll go south one day and north the other.
                  lol I didn't mean it in that way Wink We went north one day and south the other day. Next time I go I want to run all the way to Niagara on the Lake.

Trent - check out the Niagara Falls Int'l Marathon route: http://www.niagarafallsmarathon.com/course.htm It runs alongside the Niagara Parkway. Definitely the spot to run. You're about an hour down the road from me. I'm in Oakville. If you're still around on Sat, you're welcome to join us for a group run. We run trails. Although, I suspect you'll be gone by then...
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks Tuff! Looks like the marathon runs along the same route Rocken Mama suggested, cool! I am in Toronto at the moment, and headed to Niagara in a few minutes, with possibly a stop at the Great Lakes brewery and another at Inniskillin. I ran on part of the Toronto marathon course this morning. Next, two nights in Niagara and then on to Cleveland for a wedding. Thanks for the invite Smile
                        Very good. Have fun. You MUST try Inniskillin's Vidal Ice Wine... quite possibly the best in the world. If you are interested in visiting any other wineries, let me know and I will suggest a few of my favourites. I know you like your beers, so while in Toronto, try to sample some of Amsterdam breweries ales/stouts. I think that you will find them to your liking.

Go Pre!

Trent, Next time in Toronto let me know! BTW - Tuff and I are running Toronto Marathon this fall. Are you coming back? They re-routed it this year to be less hilly and more along the waterfront. Should be nice. cheers Dave
                            and then on to Cleveland for a wedding.
                            If you have time while in Cleveland, you should run the Towpath Trail along the Cuyahoga River through Cuyahoga Nat'l Park (http://www.nps.gov/carto/PDF/CUVAmap1.pdf). Beautiful, tree-lined, crushed limestone, and flat. My favorite place to get on is in Peninsula, OH. You can go south or north, both are scenic. There's also a very good tavern/restaurant in Peninsula (Winking Lizard) that has about a zillion different kinds of beers.
                            The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow! So much great info!! Loved the Vidals, but especially the late harvest. Late harvest vidal was $20, ice was $50/$80, and my somewhat discerning palate was not sensitive enough to determine much difference, so you can guess where my money went. I also got a bottle of the sparkling ice wine!! Ate lunch in Oakville at Spoon and Fork, a little Thai restaurant. Very good stuff! I enjoyed the Toronto marathon and do not like much the new course. I like hills. I spoke with somebody from the marathon about it (they were at Flying Pig) and they tell me that the main reason was to bring the marathon into one part of town so they could rally more support. It is true that there was not a lot of Toronto out watching the run. I am also concerned that the new course will spend a lot of time UNDER the Gardiner, which would not be nice. But I liked a lot of what they took out, oh well. This morning I ran the last 8 miles of the course, starting from Casa Loma. Very nice, and I felt much much stronger today than I did in October Big grin I don't think I will make it back this year due to a full Fall schedule. Cleveland, looks like my schedule is full with wedding stuff, so I am not sure what all I will get to do. A towpath would be awesome! But I may be stuck out in the burbs. Undecided
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cleveland: staying off 480 by the Rocky River reservation. Running there?