Just started running after four years off and .... (Read 220 times)

Rafen317

Its so much harder than I remember haha. I stopped running because college and work seem to be taking over my life and I started skipping run days then finally just quit running when it got cold about 4 years ago. Now I graduated from school and I am trying to get myself back into shape. I ran one mile on Sunday and tried to run another one today and that was a no go. So I think I might have to start one of those plans like C25K to get myself back into shape. Well that has been my running experience over the last couple days and I just wanted to say I'm glad I joined this forum and I'm looking forward to getting to know as many of you as I can.

Thanks,

Rafen317

Hey,

I am not familiar with the C25k but I ran something similar for my full marathon I am sure.  Running a training plan helps alot with the motivation and discipline.  I say pick an easy running plan and if its too easy for you, jump to the intermediate level etc..  Maybe pick a local 5k race to build up some excitement and to have a date / goal to finish.  Good luck !

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Mostly harmless

It's hard starting over again. Again.  I've done it a few times.  If a structured plan would help you, then go for the C25K or something similar.  If you are a good self starter, then start with a combination of running and walking until you build up a little stamina.  If you are stubborn about running the entire workout, then I suggest counting time instead of distance for a while.  Set a goal like running for 10 minutes (slowly) without stopping.  Once you can do that try for 12 and then 15, etc...

Whatever you do, just try to keep it fun. If it becomes too much like torture you'll quit.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Same as NotScott, I have started up again several times in my life, and the beginning is never easy.

What worked for me every time (I have never used any training plans for anything) was to run for as long as I could (sometimes that was even a whole mile, sometimes less), then walk until I felt recovered (typically 2-3 minutes), then run again for as long as I could, and then walk/run one more time to finish a loop, or to get home.

Next time, I tried to go at least as long on that first stretch or hopefully longer (usually worked, sometimes it was shorter), then walk, and start up with the second stretch at the same point as the first time (which usually meant I'd reduce the walk break). Run the second stretch as far as possible, then walk/run home.

After a while, I could connect the two stretches, and I had built up enough that I could usually run the first and second stretch in one "long" run, then walk/run home.

Then slowly increase the length of the first running stretch, until I could run the whole loop in one stretch, no walking.

Then slowly increase the length of the run until I reached a few miles.

Then stay with these miles for my usual runs and just change 1 or 2 runs a week into longer runs.

For a long time, I ran about 3-4 times a week, sometimes only twice, when life got in between my running plans.

However, running with a plan, like C25k, might work better for you to keep you motivated and to have a certain goal in mind.

Maybe just look at the plan, try it a few times, and see how it works for you, or if you need to make adjustments.

Good luck!

Run for fun.

Rafen317

Thanks for all the replies. I have been following the C25K plan and I already notice my fitness level improving. So hopefully by the end of this month I should have no problem running a mile a couple times a week. I also went and got fit for some shoes since my were bothering my feet and it turned out I was running in the wrong style shoe. I have another run tomorrow so we will see how it goes.

I have noticed when running that when I get to a certain amount of time is when I start really feeling fatigued and start breathing harder. The first time it was the 6 min mark which was about half a mile and when I ran yesterday it was about the 8 min mark which was further than half a mile. So i am seeing improvement. I think that tomorrow I will try to run with out a watch and just focus on reaching a mile.

Coastal

You might also need to slow down some.  Right now the goal is to build up the time spent running.  Speed will come later when you've built up your endurance.

Rafen317

You might also need to slow down some.  Right now the goal is to build up the time spent running.  Speed will come later when you've built up your endurance.

I haven't been focused on speed at all. Using the time is just a way for me to see if I have been getting stronger. When I go out for runs I am mainly focused on just trying to run a complete mile no matter the time. I'm not looking at my watch saying that I need to run faster to beat my old time.

Mostly harmless

I haven't been focused on speed at all. Using the time is just a way for me to see if I have been getting stronger. When I go out for runs I am mainly focused on just trying to run a complete mile no matter the time. I'm not looking at my watch saying that I need to run faster to beat my old time.

Maybe you DO need to focus on your time and force yourself to slow down.  At this stage of the game, there is more benefit to be gained from running longer. If you slow down, even just a little, you will be able to run for a longer duration which is what you need to build up your endurance.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Rafen317

Here's an update of where I am right now. I have been concentrating on running slower and trying to stay on my feet for as long as I can during runs. To help with this I purchased a Garmin Forerunner 10 and it has been a huge help. I have been using it to monitor my pace. While using the watch I have been able to stop myself from running so fast and stay at a good pace on all my runs. Yesterday I ran two miles just by paying attention to the pace on my watch and trying to run slow. It took me about 27 min to run 2 miles but I am making progress. Thanks for everyone's help.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, it's probably significantly harder restarting than starting the first time.  It was great for me when I started, because my expectations were essentially zero.