Go to your vet to take what the Pros use. (Read 263 times)

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8925731/tony-casillas-used-horse-ointment-my-nfl-career

"When I heard about deer-antler spray, I said that's nothing. We used to use this stuff called 'DMSO,'" Casillas said last week in an interview with KRLD-FM in Dallas. "That's what veterinarians put on horses' muscles and we used it in the locker room."

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
    Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

At what point do we admit that its probably pervasive amongst the elites in our sport?

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???

You know I get why you would take PED's but why would you drink something that is called antler spray.  I mean it is a freaking spray first off and sounds like it is used to clean antlers????  Why the hell would you drink this stuff?  I mean even the horse rub stuff is made to make muscles feel better in horses and humans have mucsles as well.  But damn we don't have antlers and you don't drink a spray.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
        • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
        • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
        TJoseph

Spray sounds too much like what my dog does to mark his territory.

catwhoorg

Labrat

DMSO ?

Its a solvent, known for toxicity and its a pretty nasty irritant. Fatal in large doses. It penetrates the skin easily. I could see it being used to as a carrier for something like steroids (its great at transporting drugs across the skin), but on its own, there are far better topical analgesics out there for sports injuries.

(it gets used as a carrier for fungicides as well, as it penetrates toe nails just as easily as skin)

There is a little niche where it can be used for chronic nerve pain, as it basically shuts down the nerve firing, but thats a very different situation.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I remember a DMSO fad in the '70s, during which it was widely and openly bought and used by lots of people, from athletes to my grandmother.  It seemed to be helpful for arthritis.  All I know is that it smelled funny.

Hoban-Jay

We used to use this stuff called 'DMSO,'" Casillas said last week in an interview with KRLD-FM in Dallas. "That's what veterinarians put on horses' muscles and we used it in the locker room."

Yup, DMSO, ia stronger topical form of MSM is great for sore muscles, joints and tendons...initially used for race horses.  It's just as effective for race people...and completely 100% legal.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I used DMSO recently to get swelling out of my knee , a sweat wrap . I went out to my tack room and got the DMSO that's there for the horses , put it on my knee after cleaning it well , then wrapped with plastic wrap and a bandage over that . Took the swelling down so I could use my knee . I have used it on myself nearly as long as on my horses 25+ years . I told my PT I was doing something bad when I told him in detail he laughed and said he used it all the time in College in the 1980's .

I worked a second job for a while at a Feed Store and nearly all the DMSO and liniments were sold to older people who didn't have horses...nearly all the MSM was sold to tweakers who use it to cut meth .

You know I get why you would take PED's but why would you drink something that is called antler spray.  I mean it is a freaking spray first off and sounds like it is used to clean antlers????  Why the hell would you drink this stuff?  I mean even the horse rub stuff is made to make muscles feel better in horses and humans have mucsles as well.  But damn we don't have antlers and you don't drink a spray.

I can't tell if you're joking, or seriously asking.

This wouldn't be the first product that can be absorbed into the body either by injection, consuming, or absorbed through the skin.

There used to always be ads for DMSO in the back pages of RW decades ago.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Feeling the growl again

DMSO ?

Its a solvent, known for toxicity and its a pretty nasty irritant. Fatal in large doses. It penetrates the skin easily. I could see it being used to as a carrier for something like steroids (its great at transporting drugs across the skin), but on its own, there are far better topical analgesics out there for sports injuries.

(it gets used as a carrier for fungicides as well, as it penetrates toe nails just as easily as skin)

There is a little niche where it can be used for chronic nerve pain, as it basically shuts down the nerve firing, but thats a very different situation.

+1.  I'm well-versed in using DMSO in the laboratory setting and no way in heck am I putting it on myself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Jnfr Jogs

This antler stuff is made from the "velvet" covering the antlers of the Red deer - antlers are supposed to be the fastest-growing tissue in any adult mammal. The ancient Chinese originated the use of this substance.  It is very similar to human growth hormone after HGH has been broken down for processing in the liver.  It is "from a natural source" however it is far from safe - unscrupulous people take advantage of today's top athletes that are injured or getting older & slower and are looking for something to give them a competitive edge to keep their high paying positions against the younger guys.

Buy it, and you have no idea what you are actually getting - similar to buying street drugs with no guarantee or oversight as to safety or ingredients.

White Rabbit

http://www.wapitilabsinc.com/store/product/mobility-dogs/

I used to work at a natural pet food store that also sold natural supplements like the one above. It's made for dogs from elk antler velvet to help with joints. It's to be taken internally and is not an immediate fix.