TIMEX IRONMAN GPS ONE+ // GARMIN FORERUNNER 225 // SAMSUNG S (Read 79 times)

CT JEFF

Hey All. - Watches keep adding more gizmos. Personally, I like the tech. I like where its going.

I have pre-ordered my Garmin 225 to be released any time now in Quarter 2. But just wanted to briefly mention my dream / Frankenstein ideal watch.

The Garmin Forerunner 920 is probably my ideal watch. Great GPS, great open water and pool algorithms, and cadence for running. It also does a good job for biking. But $450 is on the high end.

The new TIMEX GPS ONE+ is really cool. Has the ability to send and recieve messages and transmit your location due to having a 3G (PHONE) inside. It stores some songs for your run as well. Also cool, its on sale this week. http://www.timex.com/one-gps?utm_source=social&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=_2015-06-11_US&utm_content=2015-06-11_RebateONE_US&utm_term=17552

Worth mention is the Samsung S Gear watch. About $300 and has a camera in it. Also gets and displays alerts when connected to a phone.

Newest watch is the GARMIN FORERUNNER 225. I loved the 220, and the recent price break down tot $200. For this price, it includes great cadence info and quick GPS connects. But, for $300, the new 225 includes a wrist detected Heart Rate. Id like to say this isnt a huge deal, but it kinda is. I love getting HR info. I dont always look at it, but its nice to have. Also, that chest strap when its wet and cold isnt fun to place on your skin.

So, my ideal watch would be the durability and quality of the Garmin 920, but it obviously needs the HR wrist monitoring. Needs tto keep the Accelerometer from the 220 and 225 in case of running on a treadmill - I dont want to worry about another lost foot pod. Id like to have it connect to my phone, so I can get alerts or notificattions, but even better if it gave location as well to my family with 3G. Id like to have a camera in case of something great Id love to share. and Id like it to store a couple songs for a 1 hr run. I figure that all of this is easily put together, but the cost is too high for me and most people. But someday, I look forward to a watch with these options in my price range.

Let me know if you have ordered the TIMEX ONE+ or the GARMIN 225, or your thoughts on any running watch.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

obiebyke

I love the idea of the optical HR monitor. I've been fantasizing about a TomTom, too. The thing is, I run a good chunk of the year in winter (I live in Minnesota), and I don't want any gap of skin showing so that the monitor can work. No go.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

kcam

For me the cost of a good running watch is really no object (and you're talking to the ultimate skinflint here).  A running watch is a tool that I use pretty close to every, single day sometimes twice a day and when I buy them they tend to last 3 years or more.  $450 or $250 ... who cares?  I'll buy what fits my needs most regardless of the price (I hope Garmin is not reading this).

I'm not feeling a need for that 3GS capability in a running watch.  I won't be 'sharing' the boring minutiae of my training with anyone and I question the need for emergency contact ability.  Most likely the places where I might actually need to dial 911 or whatever would be places where there is no cell coverage.  If I break my leg out on my normal runs there are many other people out there that would help me out.

The 225 is interesting but ultimately a no-go for me.  I will absolutely stick to my 220 with Scosche Rhythm+ optical HRM.  I don't even notice the Rhythm+ on my forearm (and therefore wear it for almost every run) whereas the chest strap was very bothersome and I rarely wore the stupid thing.

Anyway, there's my inputs.

CT JEFF

obie. for optical HR - you dont need a gap. your skin touches sensor. in fact, a gap (where light can come in) is bad. .so Garmin put a rubber seal around the bottom to block external light.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

obiebyke

Yeah, I meant I don't want any part of my arm to not be covered by mitten/jacket. Maybe I can find someone around here who'll let me test drive it.

obie. for optical HR - you dont need a gap. your skin touches sensor. in fact, a gap (where light can come in) is bad. .so Garmin put a rubber seal around the bottom to block external light.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)