Is It Okay To Run In A Cemetary? (Read 2197 times)

~Gordo~

First of all, I haven't done it...yet. I might be heading to parents next month and they don't have a lot of 'safe' roads to run on. There is a very large cemetary and after mapping it out, I could easily get a good 5 mile loop in it. It has lots of trees, and no traffic to worry about. I just don't know if some people would be offended by having someone running there. Of course, if someone was having a service there I would avoid that area. Whatchya think? ~G
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~

Non ducor, duco.

Ha! Stick some flowers in your shorts. You can pull em out and kneel at a tombstone if someone sees you.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I ran a race on Memorial day that ended with its last 3/4 miles in a cemetery.

Dave

No, I don't think so. Around a cemetary, Yes. Through one, probably not. I know that at military bases, it is not allowed. I frequently run around Arlington but wouldn't think of running through it. Its just disrespectful. Some people would be offended.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Lazy idiot

Around a cemetary, Yes. Through one, probably not.
            I kind of agree with this. I would think as long as you're staying on the roads/paths, and not trampling over the resting sites themselves, you'd be okay. I'm interested to see more responses on this.

Tick tock

Half Fanatic #846

Maybe it wouldn't matter if it was really early in the morning when no one else was around....? Confused

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

My Hero

I just don't know if some people would be offended by having someone running there. ~G
                Unless you are being malicious like tipping over headstones and directly stepping on the graves (which I don't think you would or you wouldn't have posted this thread) I wouldn't have a problem with it. Sounds like a nice peaceful run.
                  I run in cemeteries all the time. Booowaaahahahahahahahaaaaa. Seriously the track club I was attending holds about half their training runs in cemeteries. We park way in the back out of the way...if a service is held you should not run there.
                    In one of the Issues of Runners World a few months ago, they did the profile of Mario Lopez on the back cover, in the " I am a runner" Section, and he said his favorite place to run was the Cemetary because of the quite, and it was loaded with hills.....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

The voice of mile 18

I've done a couple runs in one as long as you're not spitting on their graves you should be fine

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Opinion from your local friendly 2nd generation undertaker: It is perfectly fine to run in a cemete ry. People may be offended if you run over the grass next to the tombstones, but if you stick to the paved or cut rows and act respectfully, you should be fine. There is a lot to look at in the cemetery...lots of community and family history and beautiful artwork and monuments! In many other countries, cemeteries are places that people go to get away from city life...they'll take their families there for picnics and go there for walks. We have enough of a death denial attitude in the US...I say run through the cemetery!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

JakeKnight

(shrug) I always assumed it was fine. Cemeteries are just about perfect running spots, they're usually empty, and the current residents probably won't mind. You can go walk in a cemetery, can't you? Why couldn't you run? Stay on the paths of course. And I'd probably refrain from yakking in a loud voice with my running buddies. Might even take the iPod outta my ears. But an early morning run through a cemetery doesn't seem disrespectful to me at all. Seems exactly the opposite, in fact. It'd be a good time to reflect on things, maybe offer up a prayer. And like Trent said, one of our local 5ks runs right through a cemetery. A city owned cemetery. And its on Memorial Day. I'm guessing if someone thought it was disrespectful they'd speak up. Here's some pics, about halfway down the page: http://www.thenashvillecitycemetery.org/archived-photos.htm For history buffs, General Richard Ewell, the guy who some say lost Gettysburg for the South, is buried there. Kinda cool.
                          Opinion from your local friendly 2nd generation undertaker:
                          Opinion appreciated. I love when people pop up who actually have insider info on stuff.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, and if some zombies should erupt from the ground you will likely have one helluva tempo run! Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I started a long thread on this same topic on CoolRunning about two years ago, and the responses were pretty mixed -- almost 50-50 for and against. The most salient point made was that most cemeteries are private property, and might have and/or post rules on the very question. When in doubt look for posted signs, check the website, or call the office and ask.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

jeffdonahue

At my old job, during the winter the roads near the office were not that wide and not that safe when there was a lot of snow, so we used to run loops through a local cemetary. There were actually a lot of walkers in there. I agree - as long as you are on the access roads and not trampling the sites or being disrespectful in any way there shouldnt be any issue.