Weight/core training DVD recommendations? (Read 1672 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have often been tempted to look into P90X. I have heard REALLY good things over the years...but the infomercials make it look like one has to buy ALL of the series. I need to find out if I can select individual DVDs. Some of them look like they would really cater well to strength training for running.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

Why not buy some basic Pilates DVD's? Those are all core strength oriented.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why not buy some basic Pilates DVD's? Those are all core strength oriented.
        Any recommendations? I have a couple of yoga DVDs that include some pilates core work, but nothing that is very extensive.

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

Any recommendations? I have a couple of yoga DVDs that include some pilates core work, but nothing that is very extensive.
          Honestly, the only ones I have watched are the Windsor Pilates DVD's. They are a butt kicker too.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Mark Verstegen is the "King Of Core Training". The below book is focused on endurance athletes Core Performance Endurance
            I have this book and think it has some great concepts for core strength. However, I've only focused on the hamstring exercises so far and they have definitely helped me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Great Core Workout
                Ooh...though I'd have to buy a new ball. One of my dumb cats jumped on my old one and popped it. The infomercials for this DVD also have me intrigued.

~ Sarah Kay

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I have heard great things about P90X and may make that a christmas gift to myself. I use the Turbo Jam series (cardio sculpt and ab jam). I like the cardio sculpt as it works every muscle group, and ab jam gives my core an extra push. Any other video recommendations?

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I found the P90X "Legs & Back" DVD on eBay for $10 (I think folks buy the entire series and then break it up to sell individual discs for over retail--good deal, since I don't want the entire set, anyhow) that includes the 15 minute "Ab Ripper" workout. OMG, that is gonna HURT. I just watched it before I do it tomorrow. I will not be doing much with the back, since I don't have a good way to do pull-ups indoors, but the legs should be killer...tons of squats, lunges, wall squats, hip flexor and calf work...I should end up with calves like Trent's! Wink The ab routine looks godawful beastly, too.

~ Sarah Kay

Kimmie

I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone here has been doing the dvds that were mentioned. I just bought Building a Better Runner DVD. It looks tough but I like that it's runner specific.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm still eyeballing that DVD. I did pick up the P90X Legs DVD on eBay (smart people appear to be buying the entire set and selling individual discs). I haven't done it, but I watched it through and my legs were screaming at me just from that. Wink I've been doing a more beginner/intermediate workout I have a few times...I need to give the P90X workout a try soon--once I get my asthma issues controlled. I'll be interested to hear how you like the Build a Better Runner exercises.

~ Sarah Kay

Gotta TRI

Hey Zoomy, I'm glad to see it mentioned here and therefore have to throw in my plug for it as well. We have the P90x set and absolutly LOVE it!!! Why? Because it covers everything. It's all the weight training, cardio, core, stretching, yoga, and nutrition. Our home gym used to have all this equipment in it, with racks of weights and cables, and plates and all but since we remodelled and started P90x, we've gotten rid of all that, have a simple rack of hexagon dumbells and some mats. We followed the program religiously for about 2 months or so, had great results, and since we are training more for racing, we just supplement a P90x dvd where and when we can fit it in depending on what we feel like. ( Today might be a good yoga day ). There are few things I feel strongly enough about to tout. Two things that I do are: P90x and Chantix. Both have helped me attain my goals, and both have truly worked for me. My .02cents Big grin
                          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Excellent, thanks for that review Andy. I've really been a fan of Cathe Friedrich over the years, too, but her workouts are so gear-intensive that I feel like I'm getting an extra workout dragging the weights, mat, step, etc. out and putting them back each time I do one (someday I want a house with a dedicated workout space where I can simply leave stuff set up betweek workouts). I like that the P90X stuff seems to not use a ton of gear.

~ Sarah Kay

50 halfs by age 50

I have a friend who is a Pilates instructor and also runs and bikes. She usually recommends the Pilates for Dummies DVD (Really!) as a great starter.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

I love this Crunch pilates DVD I have. The instructor is the only non-annoying workout video instructor I've ever seen! It's great for core strength and I love how it's divided into 10 min segments, if you're short on time you can pick the ones you really want to do. The exercises require no equipment either which I love.
                                Heroes never die. They just reload.