'Silk' soy milk? (Read 1348 times)

Hi All, Just picked up some jugs of 'silk'. Main reason being it doesn't expire as fast as the milk here does. We only have a few days normally before our regular milk goes bad, so we decided to give 'silk' a shot. Are there really health benefits from this stuff? Less cholesterol? Any drawbacks? We got the light original kind, and the light vanilla flavor. Thanks a lot for any input. -Mike

~Mike

skinnycaponesugar

My husband drinks soy milk by t the bucketful, ok maybe not that much. What I don't like about it is that it is a very processed type of drink, on top of that it has sugar added and even artificial flavors. I don't know this particular brand but I know that soy is one of the main GM crops anywhere in the world, so chances are that some soy milk is coming from that type of bean. If you have a milk intolerance, whether it is to the protein (casein) or to the sugar in cow's milk (lactose), soy can be an alternative. If I were keen on it, I'd go down to the Asian supermarket and get a soy milk maker, then get the beans and make my own drink, BUT I've tried it like that and it is quite beany tasting Tongue. I'll stick with cow's milk, although recently we've been buying A2 cow's milk, which is meant to have a slightly different protein that is better for your immune system

Love, Run, Sleep

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

It's the only brand of soy milk I like (and I can't drink regular milk). I drink a glass of the light chocolate after every run. It significantly decreased my night sweats and hot flashes.
          My daughter is allergic to milk (and eggs and peanuts). It is severe enough that she carries and EpiPen and could have an anaphylatic reaction if she ingested regular milk. As a result, this is all we drink at home. I prefer milk, but Silk and other brands work fine - though it is best on cereal than say on its own. I'm partial to the chocolate soy beverage. That said, regular milk is probably fine if you don't have an allergy or food tolerance issue. If you are concerned with fat, drink 1% or skim. I'm no expert, but if it is health benefits you seek, drink milk.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

regular milk is probably fine if you don't have an allergy or food tolerance issue. If you are concerned with fat, drink 1% or skim. I'm no expert, but if it is health benefits you seek, drink milk.
            Correct. Eat food. Soy milk, in the end, is a (mildly) processed food product. And if you can, get unhomogenized milk, then let the fat rise and scrape it off. That is as lowfat as 0.5% milk, or so, and is not homogenized. Milk homogenization is also food processing (hint: they don't just shake the stuff up really hard). Unhomogenized milk may be less likely to cause symptoms of lactose intolerance and mild allergies.

A Saucy Wench

If your biggest concern is shelf life...look for organic milk. Most of them are ultrapasteurized and stay fresh for eternity. Mostly because there are only a few organic suppliers and they have to ship this stuff everywhere...like to Hawaii. However that is a process. Some people will say that it is not as good for you. If your biggest concern is minimal processing yeah you can go for the unhomogenized etc, but unless you have a dairy farm nearish you I doubt it is readily available on the islands. I live in dairy country and cant find it easily. Soy ...I use it in my coffee because I prefer the taste. There is possibly some evidence that TOO much soy might be bad for thyroid. The debate rages on.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nashville is nowhere near dairy country, but we now have three sources of unhomogenized milk. Five years ago, we had none. So keep an eye out for it, it is a growing market...weird, since it is the original product and all you could get just a generation or two ago. A prior post on this stuff: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/a2d08cc6dd0849b8aad9d6bfe068ede9#focus

running yogi

Nashville is nowhere near dairy country, but we now have three sources of unhomogenized milk. Five years ago, we had none. So keep an eye out for it, it is a growing market...weird, since it is the original product and all you could get just a generation or two ago. A prior post on this stuff: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/a2d08cc6dd0849b8aad9d6bfe068ede9#focus
                  Trent, I just read the link and thank you for clearing this up for me. Back home most of the milk we get is unpasturized and unhomogenized. (We pasturing our milk ourselves by heating it at a certain temperature for a certain time. When you let it cool, the fat solidifies and floats to the top and can be skimmed off) After coming to this country, I have been wondering all this while, why does milk here stick to the pan I am heating it in, and why does whole milk not feel as fatty as back home ? Thanks for all that infomation.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The milk sticking to the pan scares the crap out of me. Homogenized milk does. Unhomogenized milk does not. What is that sticky processed "homogenized" milk doing inside my body? Shocked

skinnycaponesugar

The milk sticking to the pan scares the crap out of me. Homogenized milk does. Unhomogenized milk does not. What is that sticky processed "homogenized" milk doing inside my body? Shocked
                      Skim milk: boil milk and skim fat off. Trent, are you talking about unpasteurised milk? or only unhomogenised?

Love, Run, Sleep

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The milk IS pasteurized but IS NOT homogenized. With homogenized milk, this does not work: "Skim milk: boil milk and skim fat off." The layer you see at the top of boiled milk is coagulated milk proteins, likely casein. Read the post I linked to, above, for details.
                        mom2three

Tip #1 - Make sure to shake your soy milk as the "meat" settles. Tip #2 - This is critical, make sure the top is fully screwed on before you shake. *sigh, living with young boys* Big grin We have been using both soy milk and regular milk in this house for 6 years now. All the men in the house have a lactose intollerance, so soy it is. My daughter and I can't stand the stuff. Some say Silk is the worst, some say it's the best. It's the only thing I could get my son to drink at first....the "Very Vanilla". We've since graduated down to plain, and sometimes vanilla...ohhh and chocolate! I actually buy whatever is on sale now and it seems to fly just fine. That crap is cha-ching! We go through about a 1/2 gallon every two days! Good luck! I'd just start with the "light" kind and see how you do, then move up in sugar/tastes until you can tolerate it. Then start cutting the sugary Silk with the plain till you are more used to the plain stuff. JMO
                          Jill
                          HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I drink Silk Unsweetened - maybe 1 gram of sugar. Add a little splenda if needed but more healthy (fewer calories) than the sweetened / flavored kinds.

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)

skinnycaponesugar

The milk IS pasteurized but IS NOT homogenized. With homogenized milk, this does not work: "Skim milk: boil milk and skim fat off." The layer you see at the top of boiled milk is coagulated milk proteins, likely casein. Read the post I linked to, above, for details.
                              Does it work with unhomogenised? that's what I'd do if I ran out of skim milk. The reason I asked is that lately I keep hearing of (and from) people drinking unpasteurised milk. They claim that the pasteurisation process destroys most of the beneficial properties of milk. Specially interesting to me was something called the Wulzen factor, the researchers that named it fed calves pasteurised cows milk and the calves developed stiff joints. There is a bit on the net about it: http://realmilk.com/whichchoose.html My 5yo son was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis last year, so we've been looking into other things beyond drugs to help him. We tried raw (unpasteurised) milk but he didn't enjoy his tummy rumbling.

Love, Run, Sleep

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Does it work with unhomogenised? that's what I'd do if I ran out of skim milk.
                                With unhomogenized milk, you do not need to boil it. The fat will just rise. That is why "they" invented homogenization, to : a) keep the fat from rising in whole milk, and b) to remove the fat in lowfat milk. The problem is, the homogenization process likely alters the milk in some way that is unhealthy...which is why RZR and I see it sticking to the pan when heated.
                                Specially interesting to me was something called the Wulzen factor, the researchers that named it fed calves pasteurised cows milk and the calves developed stiff joints.
                                Yes. I know about this debate. I do think it a farce that the penalties in most states for selling raw milk are higher than the penalties for selling some street drugs. But we have no good evidence that pasteurization changes milk in a way that is potentially dangerous. Of course, I have no research evidence to support my concern about homogenization either, but the pot sticking thing and certain epidemiological trends seem to support it (to a degree). Plus, unhomogenized milk tastes better. Plus, I can get unhomogenized milk easily and legally. You may want to try pasteurized but unhomogenized milk if you can find it. I personally just don't know what the big deal about scraping the fat off the milk is, and why it is so hard to find unhomogenized milk in many places. Fat rising to the top is what milk is about, and that fat (i.e., heavy cream) is useful in many recipes or is easily thrown out if you need to avoid it. It goes along with the usual American trend of removing food from its sources when presenting it in the store. Many kids don't realize, for example, that carrots come from the ground or that the meat so neatly prepackaged in the grocery store comes from real animals. For real. I think that disrespects the animals and the people that produce our food. Chickens have heads and we should be ready to deal with that fact. And the fat that rises to the top of milk is tasty.